Lambda Cold Dark Matter Model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Lambda Cold Dark Matter model referred to a model rocket. ;-)

I'm afraid to read the article. I'm kind of a Newtonian, quasi-static kind of guy. None of that high falutin stuff rubbed off on me from an old roommate who became an astrophysicist.

A little bird told me that if we assumed the size of the universe was twice as large as we now assume, dark matter would not be needed to make everything balance out. No grants for that, I guess. You have to wonder at the hubris of determining the size of infinity.....

I don’t know if changing a number just because it makes the math work is a good idea…
Yeah, doesn't feel right, but ... There are already about 20 fundamental constants for GR, QED, QCD. Change any one and the universe wouldn't be here, not like it is, maybe not at all.

So, maybe all combinations have been tried over eternity, and our universe evolved out of all that? Another notch for the idea of multiple universes.

I thought Lambda Cold Dark Matter model referred to a model rocket. ;-)

I'm afraid to read the article. I'm kind of a Newtonian, quasi-static kind of guy. None of that high falutin stuff rubbed off on me from an old roommate who became an astrophysicist.
Shoot. Now that you have said this sounds like the name of a model rocket, my next scratch build must be the “Lambda Cold Dark Matter” rocket.

I agree (not sure about what comes after) we need to ask WHY not put a bandage on it.
Pick one of these constants; for example do a deep dive on alpha, the fine structure constant.. It's not a hack, it just is. The other 19 are like that, too.

There's no deriving them from first principles. So far. Maybe you can figure it out, crack the code.

Shoot. Now that you have said this sounds like the name of a model rocket, my next scratch build must be the “Lambda Cold Dark Matter” rocket.
Do you have some preliminary concepts in mind yet? Maybe it should be fueled by guanidine nitrate* or even a freon substitute.
Vashon+B.jpg
\

*It's supposed to burn relatively cool, if at all.

Back