Is MDRA Sod Farm or SEVRA Elizabeth City field bigger?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is the MDRA Sod Farm or SEVRA Elizabeth City field bigger?

Just wondering.

Been to the Sod Farm many times but not to a SEVRA launch.

From the videos I’ve seen the Sod Farm looks smaller but I wasn’t sure. The Sod Farm is about an hour away for me, SEVRA would be more like a 3.5 hours drive.

Last edited:
I've not been to SEVRA, and it's been awhile since I've flown with MDRA.

Based on the recovery map MDRA posts, the Central Sod Farm is just over 1 sq mi. I don't see where SEVRA says what the boundaries of their Newfield field are, but on the satellite view the most logical boundary looks like it is 1.2 sq mi. So not much difference, but the SEVRA recovery area looks more square from the air, where the Central Sod Farm has that cutout for the river.

kj

I've not been to SEVRA, and it's been awhile since I've flown with MDRA.

Based on the recovery map MDRA posts, the Central Sod Farm is just over 1 sq mi. I don't see where SEVRA says what the boundaries of their Newfield field are, but on the satellite view the most logical boundary looks like it is 1.2 sq mi. So not much difference, but the SEVRA recovery area looks more square from the air, where the Central Sod Farm has that cutout for the river.

kj
I have never been there either but based on the maps and images online that is a fair assessment. The waivers appear to be both 4K but I agree the SERVA recovery area is more square an d might be superior depending on the wind.

I have never been there either but based on the maps and images online that is a fair assessment. The waivers appear to be both 4K but I agree the SERVA recovery area is more square an d might be superior depending on the wind.
Having launched extensively at both fields, this is my assessment as well.

The SEVRA recovery area, based on wind and trees, is much easier to fly and the winds are much, much more predictable.

Back