Is it really a model rocket if you don't launch it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I fly all mine before they get painted.
I'm starting to trend in this direction because as it turns out, the more work I put into the paint job, the more likely that rocket ends up in a tree or hung up on power lines. Then there are the rockets that fly up, and then never seem to ever come down -- just gone, never to be seen again.

This is why I fly all mine before they get painted. If they survive then they get painted. If it turns out to nice to fly, at least it flew once.
You make them “earn their paint”? Clarification question: Do you put on the primer before flying them. I figure I should give the rocket at least the dignity of a coat of primer.

Sorry for sounding elitists, but I roll my eyes when I see photos of all the boxed/bagged rockets they have, or a desk full of pristine rockets. Until I see actual launch evidence on the rocket or photos, it's just a model to me like a car or airplane model. Gary has lots of constructed rockets and has been gradually launching each at least once. Doesn't matter how high it goes as long as it gets off the ground with some kind of explosive propellent because that's it's intended purpose.

Last edited:
You make them “earn their paint”? Clarification question: Do you put on the primer before flying them. I figure I should give the rocket at least the dignity of a coat of primer.
I give them a coat or two of primer to protect the materials.

This is why I fly all mine before they get painted. If they survive then they get painted. If it turns out to nice to fly, at least it flew once.
Yes, I often do the same for some of my really complex ones (X-15, F-104, etc.).

That way it's no longer a "virgin" rocket and is more of a pro that knows what it's doing. 😆

OK, I'm a bad-person. I do on occasion buy 2 scale model rockets, one to fly (often with few nit-picky scale details and not-caring much about paint scheme accuracy), and one to look good forever hanging from the ceiling on display. That said, I'll never launch my ultra-cute and ultra-cool "Mini Mars Lander" but I may scratch build a clone of it or something like it to fly.

In my other world of skateboading, there's loads of what we skaters call "Barneys" - those are the (generally older) guys who buy all sorts of classic reproductions (not-original made in the actual time period) setups from the 80's (mostly) and hang them on the wall never riding them just to feel like they are reliving their "back in the day" moments. I hope to never become one of "those guys". I do however have a small collection of 70's era skateboards and classic slalom racing decks that will never be made again and I do ride them once in awhile because it's fun but I keep them sheltered from serious harm.

OK, I'm a bad-person. I do on occasion buy 2 scale model rockets, one to fly (often with few nit-picky scale details and not-caring much about paint scheme accuracy), and one to look good forever hanging from the ceiling on display. That said, I'll never launch my ultra-cute and ultra-cool "Mini Mars Lander" but I may scratch build a clone of it or something like it to fly.

In my other world of skateboading, there's loads of what we skaters call "Barneys" - those are the (generally older) guys who buy all sorts of classic reproductions (not-original made in the actual time period) setups from the 80's (mostly) and hang them on the wall never riding them just to feel like they are reliving their "back in the day" moments. I hope to never become one of "those guys". I do however have a small collection of 70's era skateboards and classic slalom racing decks that will never be made again and I do ride them once in awhile because it's fun but I keep them sheltered from serious harm.
Any approach that forces us to build more rockets is a good approach.

I do however have a small collection of 70's era skateboards and classic slalom racing decks that will never be made again and I do ride them once in awhile because it's fun but I keep them sheltered from serious harm.
Turner Summer Ski? I coveted one as a youth, but the $$$ made them largely unobtanium at that time...

I did have two of the later Turners after Bobby Turner died and Peggy Turner with the help of Howard Gordon (R.I.P- I miss that guy) and Lynn Kramer (current Women's World Champion for a decade+ and I still race against her annually and sometimes I win, most times she wins, she's REALLY fast!!!), were helping out and I now wish I kept those, they're not as collectable but still part of my racing history I wish I'd kept in hindsight (like a LOT of my old skateboard stuff I sold to newbies dirt cheap - at least it got them started and on their way). I do have something similar that means more to me and that is a David Baker made foam-core, carbon fiber wrapped camber & concave with front and rear cutaway - it's from the end of an era. I ride VERY different decks for slalom now, the Baker deck is more of a keepsake than anything, plus he's a good friend I know well and fortunately still alive.

So…
Years (many springs and summers) ago I built a Neubauer 4” Mercury Redstone. Before I ever got to fly it, I knocked it off the table in the basement and put a little crinkle in the top of the BT and peeled off a couple squares of the checkerboard roll pattern. By the time I got around to fixing that part, 1010 rails were the norm, and my 1/4” lugs on standoffs really needed to be replaced with buttons on standoffs now. And I’m a little bit better off, so the Kaplow klips need to go away and fit an Aeropack retainer on (there’s plenty of mmt)…
So, yes, I built a model rocket and haven’t flown it yet. :dontknow:
Once I get those things done, I probably will at least once. I mean, I made the tower to be easily removed for flight (yes, I know, sacrilege), but I spent a crap ton of time on that tower and it came out perfect.

So…
Years (many springs and summers) ago I built a Neubauer 4” Mercury Redstone. Before I ever got to fly it, I knocked it off the table in the basement and put a little crinkle in the top of the BT and peeled off a couple squares of the checkerboard roll pattern. By the time I got around to fixing that part, 1010 rails were the norm, and my 1/4” lugs on standoffs really needed to be replaced with buttons on standoffs now. And I’m a little bit better off, so the Kaplow klips need to go away and fit an Aeropack retainer on (there’s plenty of mmt)…
So, yes, I built a model rocket and haven’t flown it yet. :dontknow:
Once I get those things done, I probably will at least once. I mean, I made the tower to be easily removed for flight (yes, I know, sacrilege), but I spent a crap ton of time on that tower and it came out perfect.
I think the difference is that you had built it intending and planning to launch it vs. cases where the model is built without any intention of launch them.

I think I have one or two small rockets that I've built and never launched, but I had intended to and I wasn't doing build threads on those.

When I came back to rocketry I promised myself and my girl friend that I would never make the same mistake I did with RC Cars. I got caught up in the collecting and was too afraid to run them for fear of hurting them or scratching them.

With rockets, everything flies regardless of age, cost, rarity, time invested, blah blah blah. RC Cars aren't "cars" if you don't build them and drive them and rockets aren't rockets unless you build them and fly them.

(My rant lol)

Ok, I've been trying to research a couple of complex rockets for upcoming builds and I keep coming upon build threads that look AMAZING, but then die after the rocket is completed. Huh?

I even saw two TRFers in an old post saying that they were too afraid to fly the rockets and may never do so.

To me, it's not a "model rocket" if you don't launch it... I'd consider it a "rocket model". I'd love to see how others feel... maybe I'm nitpicking.

I've built many detailed model kits in the past, which I only planned on storing for display, but that allowed me to build them in great detail without worrying about possible damage.

Maybe part of my reason for ranting is because build threads like that feel like movies without an ending. 😢o_O:dontknow:
(Now watch me unintentionally do the same! 😆)

You better fly that F-104!! I'd be very disappointed if you didn't.

When I came back to rocketry I promised myself and my girl friend that I would never make the same mistake I did with RC Cars. I got caught up in the collecting and was too afraid to run them for fear of hurting them or scratching them.

With rockets, everything flies regardless of age, cost, rarity, time invested, blah blah blah. RC Cars aren't "cars" if you don't build them and drive them and rockets aren't rockets unless you build them and fly them.
did you run nitro?

I like this method and primer will also make it easier to repair (not sanding through a paint job) and protect the rocket somewhat.

Not to get too far off topic, but have any of you painted the business end off your rockets with high temp paint. I'm talking about the area inside the aft end of the airframe if the aft ring is back an inch or two. Sometimes I would coat the area with epoxy before painting and I know others have used JB Weld? I know I read somewhere that some people will actually paint the entire motor mount assembly with high temp paint before installing it? Not sure if there's any advantage to this?

You better fly that F-104!! I'd be very disappointed if you didn't.
Already did in primer before paint!
Screenshot_20230128_075519_Gallery.jpg

AFTER:
480958-69d9a41d7f77450be0a9ab987cc0af71.data

(To be flown again at next club launch.)

However I'm also planning on a larger build soon... and YES, I plan to fly it since it's a rocket. :) 👍

Last edited:
did you run nitro?

Early on I did Nitro back when battery technology wasn't as good. Once LiPo packs and brushless motors became readily available I sold off everything Nitro. I also moved to a quiet neighborhood and running Nitro around here was not really acceptable. Unlike some people, I never cared for the noise it made so I was happy when electrics caught up.

Not to get too far off topic, but have any of you painted the business end off your rockets with high temp paint. I'm talking about the area inside the aft end of the airframe if the aft ring is back an inch or two. Sometimes I would coat the area with epoxy before painting and I know others have used JB Weld? I know I read somewhere that some people will actually paint the entire motor mount assembly with high temp paint before installing it? Not sure if there's any advantage to this?
Generally I'll do a thinned epoxy coating inside the tube then paint it with BBQ paint or some other high temp stuff.

Early on I did Nitro back when battery technology wasn't as good. Once LiPo packs and brushless motors became readily available I sold off everything Nitro. I also moved to a quiet neighborhood and running Nitro around here was not really acceptable. Unlike some people, I never cared for the noise it made so I was happy when electrics caught up.
I have both actually. 5 trucks too many.

Back