I am going to stretch and say this is a space topic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically any school in a suburb.
I don’t think there are many schools in suburbs that wouldn’t have a weapon heading for them (the suburbs not schools) then again I haven’t got a map and checked it just makes sense that schools would be in population centers big enough to warrant a nuclear weapon. to use my school as an example, it’s only 600ish meters from town center. I’m sure that there are a handful of schools that it would be worth it at I’m just saying they are a small minority.

then again I haven’t got a map and checked it=
There you go again. Spouting off without checking your facts.

I can think of any number of schools in the area around San Diego, St. Louis, and Jacksonville that were near big cities, but not close enough to get incinerated if that city got nuked.

I can think of any number of schools in the area around San Diego, St. Louis, and Jacksonville that were near big cities, but not close enough to get incinerated if that city got nuked.
One thing for certain, the Pittsburgh area was considered highly likely to be targeted due to our (then) large steel making and manufacturing capability. It was just a matter them of how far you were away from how many megatons they were able to throw at you. And even if you survived, what would be left? Still, we are made to want to survive; "a living dog is better than a dead lion."

I actually tried but it’s difficult to find information on how close schools are to town centers, it is certainly is out there probably in some declassified Cold War document but I can’t find it.

Ps I’m pretty sure that at least a couple are sent into the suburbs just to make sure everyone is dead in large cities like New York.

I actually tried but it’s difficult to find information on how close schools are to town centers, it is certainly is out there probably in some declassified Cold War document but I can’t find it.

Ps I’m pretty sure that at least a couple are sent into the suburbs just to make sure everyone is dead in large cities like New York.
Perhaps not. One aspect of ground combat against an enemy is to wound as many as possible. A wounded soldier is a bigger liability than a dead one as you try to get him to safety to save his life. A dead guy you just let lay.

In nuclear warfare, you get facilities. The people cannot survive without infrastructure and massive relief efforts must immediately be mounted. To be sure, if everyone is dead, you have no opposition, but it's a pretty unrealistic goal. If you create a situation that's pretty much unsurvivable for many, the rest are busy trying to save as many as they can.

It's a MAD doctrine, to be sure. (See what I did there?) And horrible as well.

I'm not at all sure that a humanitarian disaster would slow down a nuclear retaliatory strike. I think that's probably taken into account in the system ahead of time. There are far fewer warheads now than at the peak of the cold war, but I don't know if there are few enough to allow the continuance of technological civilization. Gruesome topic.

I'm not at all sure that a humanitarian disaster would slow down a nuclear retaliatory strike. I think that's probably taken into account in the system ahead of time. There are far fewer warheads now than at the peak of the cold war, but I don't know if there are few enough to allow the continuance of technological civilization. Gruesome topic.
Well, it wouldn't slow down the retaliatory stike - it just slows down any effort of manpower on the ground to do anything but relief work for their fellow citizens. But yeah, horrible, horrible topic.

I actually tried but it’s difficult to find information on how close schools are to town centers
But now we have google maps with satellite view- pick your big city and look to see how far out the suburbs extend. In the big city where I used to work at least in some directions the suburbs extend 30+ miles from the city center.

But now we have google maps with satellite view- pick your big city and look to see how far out the suburbs extend. In the big city where I used to work at least in some directions the suburbs extend 30+ miles from the city center.
Yup I know that, I was (and am) under the impression that some ICBMs would be sent to the suburbs to take care of any stragglers. MAD at any cost.

The retaliatory strike would be launched before the first missiles landed, so no, it would not be slowed down by anything.

Yup I know that, I was (and am) under the impression that some ICBMs would be sent to the suburbs to take care of any stragglers. MAD at any cost.

You know they only have SO MANY of them, they can't afford to send ICBMS to the Subs they are using them up on the mil and power targets instead. Pick 500 ICBMs or 2000 on this map.

Triangles are if they use only 500. If your in an area with triangles over triangles well then like in that section of the East coast there is no place to hide.

1711025565575.png

You know they only have SO MANY of them, they can't afford to send ICBMS to the Subs they are using them up on the mil and power targets instead. Pick 500 ICBMs or 2000 on this map.

Triangles are if they use only 500. If your in an area with triangles over triangles well then like in that section of the East coast there is no place to hide.

View attachment 636468
Looks like I’m 100 miles away from the closest triangle and the blue ridge probably blocks most of the blast.

Back