How necessary is SS hardware?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielhv

Reaction score
Is this a REAL necessity? Or is it just a nice to have decision? I feel regular steel hardware, even exposed to BP gasses, will probably outlive the rockets lifespan, no?

I’ve decided to use U-bolts and I’m having a hell of a time finding an available selection in SS. McMaster Carr wants $25 shipping and 2-5 weeks delivery window lol.

For stuff directly exposed to ejection charges, it is more corrosion-resistant. That said, it's far from necessary.

The only place I know of where it's actually necessary is some reloads require a stainless forward steel disc as opposed to an aluminum one. But in recovery gear? Not necessary.

-Kevin

They are readily available at Amazon, Lowes. Home Depot.....

I see plenty at Lowes and Home Depot - none of which are stainless steel, hence my frustration and reason for asking if they are TRULY necessary.

While I agree the SS is not necessary, be careful in selecting hardware from Home Dept, Lowes etc. The hardware in store has gotten cheaper in quality. If you look at the way the eye is bent, there seems to be a bunch with machine damage where it turns down to the threads.

SS isn't needed but a quality hardware is always needed.

While I agree the SS is not necessary, be careful in selecting hardware from Home Dept, Lowes etc. The hardware in store has gotten cheaper in quality. If you look at the way the eye is bent, there seems to be a bunch with machine damage where it turns down to the threads.

Good point - will pay attention to that, thank you

Only rust I've gotten on non-SS hardware was after the rocket hung in a tree for two weeks with rain every other day.

I use SS for anything that might take the brunt of a BP ejection charge. Non SS stuff can get pretty corroded and funky over time. They won't fail, but they get carboned up and are impossible to clean and you wind up getting residual BP residue on anything you touch. SS is much cleaner. I'm fortunate; I have a McMaster-Carr within 30 minutes and can pick up locally. I but all my hardware stuff from them.

Note - SS HW is [generally] weaker than their counterparts made from standard zinc-plated steel.
As long as your paying attention to the WLL (working load limit) and desgin factors then either will work, and you are correct that the common SS hardware generally is weaker size for size than the stuff regular zinc coated carbon steel (Grades 2, 5, and 8 are all carbon steel).

Go to your local farm supply store: Tractor Supply, Rural King, Runnings, etc. They usually have both the zinc and the SS versions of hardware. They also carry my favorite: the drop-forged eyebolts. Oh, another place to get them is sailing supply companies--they have lots of SS components due to salt water corrosion.

I have used plenty of non SS hardware. The only issue I run into is the quick links that are directly exposed to the ejection charge blasts rust quickly and the threads bind up if you dont clean them well and oil them. When they get real bad, i end up tossing them and replacing them. Black powder residue is extremely corrosive.

I've had hardware rust from even just playa dust exposure, so I only use stainless steel hardware.
+1 here (although no playa dust)
SS is sooooo much easier to clean after the event. Just a wipe over with wet ones and you're good to go again.
Started out using std zinc but quickly moved over. Only zinc stuff now is ones that can't be changed (original imperial, ......now using metric SS)
Cheers,
Mark

Note - SS HW is [generally] weaker than their counterparts made from standard zinc-plated steel.

This is understated. Pay attention to material properties especially with fasteners and all thread. I would rather have a higher grade fastener (grade 5 or 8 or class 10.9) than stainless because I know the quality standards are greater and I can size a smaller fastener overall because the strength properties are so much greater.

Home Depot, Lowes, McMaster, Tractor Supply
Haven't sourced and stock the hardware that is specific to us in rocketry.
They are more expensive then Onebadhawk.
They don't drive the hardware to launches.

I learned years before I started Onebadhawk,
If I don't support the vendors that support the launches.
I'll soon have launches without on field vendors.

Onebadhawk is less expensive then all of these suppliers..

https://onebadhawk.com/hardware.html

Teddy

I haven't had issues with the zinc wing nut or threaded rods corroding. A more valuable upgrade would be going to a forged or welded eye bolt (or a u-bolt connected to the threaded rod).

I use stainless for the u-bolts for the y-harness in my bigger rockets since they are not serviceable inside of the fin can. I also moved from 1/4" to 5/16". I don't remember where I got them from since it was a really weird size but they were not cheap. I paid like $6 each but I have a ton from the sailboat. MBS is like 8000lbs on a decent 1/4" quick link. The eye bolt or u-bolt will probably fail first even if they are garbage stainless.

Teddy is correct, His pricing is WAY better than what I paid for SS 316 hardware.

Last edited:
A more valuable upgrade would be going to a forged or welded eye bolt (or a u-bolt connected to the threaded rod).

100% this.

If you're flying anything else, you're risking the eyebolt straightening on a hard recovery event. I've seen it happen on rockets that weigh about 1.5lbs.

-Kevin

Teddy
The Legend Lives! 🤣

+1, quality is more impoartant. I think it is more important to use forged eyebolt hardware than stainless steel for high power stuff. I still use non-forged eyebolts for mid power. U-bolts as non-stainless would be fine.

Yeah, eyebolts and U-bolts are beefy enough that it probably doesn't matter (even if they are close to the ejection charge).

My change to SS was prompted by T-nuts failing and screws pulling out anchoring a motor retainer after several flights of an M ARLISS rocket. This might also be a case of low-grade steel. It's easier to only have SS hardware so I never have to sort through and figure out what I need.

Anyway, the answer to the OP seems to be "opinions vary." Of course, when is that not the answer? :)

Teddy

Teddy’s stainless hardware is top notch. It has the WLL laser etched on the parts iirc, so you always know what you have. And it has a much higher rating than the SS hardware you would find locally.

Back