How Long to Hold Vacuum When Vacuum Bagging?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to start my first foray into vacuum bagging fins. Was wondering how long I need to run the vacuum pump, as my vacuum port doesn't self-seal once I turn off the pump. Would I be better off putting a valve inline with the vacuum port so I can close the valve and maintain vacuum throughout the cure? Or, can I remove vacuum after the epoxy reaches gel stage?

I'm about to start my first foray into vacuum bagging fins. Was wondering how long I need to run the vacuum pump, as my vacuum port doesn't self-seal once I turn off the pump. Would I be better off putting a valve inline with the vacuum port so I can close the valve and maintain vacuum throughout the cure? Or, can I remove vacuum after the epoxy reaches gel stage?
Just stick a small ball valve in line. shut the valve off once you've got a good vacuum. While refrigiration vacuum pumps will hapily run with little or no air being pumped through them, you will get oil mist coming from them. If you are holding a vacuum(no leaks) then you can turn the inline ball valve off and then vacuum pump off

Resin infusion video

Shows how to seal pleats in the vacuum bag.

Last edited:
I usually keep vacuum on the project until the resin cures to the "leather" stage, by then it should be bonded and the excess resin pulled from the matrix material. I de-bag at this stage and trim ends and edges while they are easily cut with a sharp razor blade, so I dont have to deal with fully hardened resin and cloth later which requires power tools. My Robinair single stage pump only really propduces a visible mist during the initial rapid pull-down, after that I dont notice any further oil from the exhaust.

When the epoxy isn't 100 percent cured, you can get a better result with a scraper than with sandpaper.

I have seen a gadget which used a vacuum diaphragm thing, working against a spring, to switch the vacuum pump on and off. I think the diaphragm thing may have come form a carburetor housing or whatever we used to call them, and would take warm air from a shroud around the exhaust manifold when the engine was running slowly and it was cold. It pulled a threaded rod against a spring. On the threaded rod were a couple of tabs held by nuts which poked at a small switch. That way, even if there was a leak, the pump wouldn't run all the time. Here is a similar switch:
https://www.glide.net.au/flyingwing/vacbag/index.html
Best with a vacuum reservoir. I'm guessing an old, small propane tank would probably be good for a vacuum reservoir. (Kind of funny to call it a reservoir, since there's nothing in it.) I've seen a 55 gallon drum used that way, but it turned out not to be strong enough. I understand it was pretty loud when it collapsed.

BTW, if the vacuum pump sound is annoying, run the exhaust through a line into a sealed jar or other fairly rigid container, with another tube coming out of the lid. Acts like a muffler, and, if your pump is the kind that spits oil, will presumably trap oil.

BTW, what's cheap and available that makes decent vacuum oil? I have an ancient vacuum pump in my garage, and I want to make a big bell jar so I can dry wet boots or potassium nitrate, degas RNX, and stuff like that. At least after I dig down deep enough to find it again.

Thanks. I didn't know that auto parts places carried that. I guess you need a vacuum pump to properly service the AC?

I built a vacuum pump system that monitors the pressure after I set it and cycles. Originally built for vacuum bagging wings and composite airplane parts for pylon racing but works great anything vacuum bagging related. I believe the plans for the kit and most of the parts were sourced from JoeWoodworker.com back in the day. I hold vacuum until full cure and then trim if needed.vacuum Pump.jpg

I suggest an inline ball valve in any case. By slowly introducing the vacuum to the part, you have time to adjust the bag as the vacuum process begins.

Also, I take a small piece of layup and set it beside the rocket part being vacuum bagged, so that I know how the part is curing. Then stop the vacuum at "leather-stage" and trim.

Usually let pump run 8-12 hours, mostly cured. Trim next day hard.
Was taught how by a guy who made airplane parts, wing tips and cowlings. Asked if pump could be turned off earlier, "This is how I do it. If you are not going to follow instructions go away."

Back