How could I use a slotted body tube as a regular tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizardOfBoz

Reaction score
Just wondering if this can be done. Tube was slotted for fins. I want to use the tube as, well, as just a tube. Any way to repair this? Or should I roll my own tube?

slotted.png

As SolarYellow wrote, glue some kind of backer - a coupler is the easiest path but anything will work - even some cardstock or construction paper - and fill the slots with your favorite filler, Elmer’s Carpenter Wood Filler, spot glazing putty, epoxy, etc…then sand smooth. Working around the backing “patch” could be a bit of a challenge for a nose cone, reducer shoulder or centering rings but not an insurmountable one.

Use a fiberglass sock to reinforce tge tube and fill the slots. Use a coupler with a layer of wax paper to hold the tube true and round and to support the fiberglass and epoxy in the slots.

As SolarYellow wrote, glue some kind of backer - a coupler is the easiest path but anything will work - even some cardstock or construction paper - and fill the slots with your favorite filler, Elmer’s Carpenter Wood Filler, spot glazing putty, epoxy, etc…then sand smooth. Working around the backing “patch” could be a bit of a challenge for a nose cone, reducer shoulder or centering rings but not an insurmountable one.
or glue cardstock to the outside and paint it a different color, will look like a decorative band. Some Estes military kits were banded that way.

What size tube is that? This is what I have done to fill fin slots on a 3" tube I used for one of my builds. I don't think the quasi-glassing will work on anything under a 2.6 inch tube though because the nylon needs to fit tightly. Here is a link to my build that goes over the process.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/cuda-build.164043/ post one then skip to post 28 for the quasi-glassing

-Bob

Back