Horizon Models Atlas Missile Build - Display Only

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguffer

Reaction score
Built a ~1/70th scale Horizon Models Atlas missile plastic model. Did not convert to fly, but thought some folks here might be interested in what it looks like. I did not put near as much effort into the finish that most plastic model builders would. For example i gave on on the US AIR FORCE decals by skipping decals that go over detail parts, and very roughly painted instead. Messed up application of a number of decals. Also messed up the paint job on nose cone, and had to correct by painting over applied decals. Good enough for me though.

This is second of a missile series i'm building. V2 is done. Still need to start the Redstone missile.

What kind of silver tape did you use? Does it come with the kit?
I have the Atlantis 1/110 in my build pile.
Looking for ideas on the finish.

What kind of silver tape did you use? Does it come with the kit?
I have the Atlantis 1/110 in my build pile.
Looking for ideas on the finish.
Used Flite Metal:
https://www.scaleaero.com/flitemetal.htmhttps://www.jotform.com/form/63326435239154Difficult to navigate site and purchase experience.

Some folks recommended Flite Metal as best looking, most flexible wrap available, so i ordered some. That was a couple years ago. Believe its a one man shop. Maybe possible to find his source, and order directly from the source.

I was clearly able to burnish the Flite Metal into the groove details, so i'm happy with Flite Metal. I ordered some more for a Starship/Superheavy i'd like to build at same scale.

I did a bad job on applying decals. Got burned out applying those decals and other decals and detail pieces to some other rockets. I'd flub a decal on this kit and just say 'screw it, good enough for me'. Others should be able to make look nicer.

The decals that go on the detail pieces (conduits/pipes) will definitely be the most difficult to apply. Perhaps impossible. If i hadn't run out of patience, some good tamiya tape and small hand brush application of paint in lieue of those decals would probably be easier. I just said: 'screw it, i'll use an old non-fine brush and not bother with tape.' Again, 'good enough for me'.

There is actually a photo of me dumping some of the decals in my trash can, because i wasn't going through the trouble of applying those particular very small decals.

Part of me getting burned out on applying decals, was i had already put the Horizon Models Mercury Atlas and Mercury Redstone decals on other builds. Felt bit like i was building the same rocket twice, but i really did want a missiles series and a mercury program series. Additionally, not long before, i also applied 70-100 decals on a Falcon Heavy that will fly, but has yet to fly.

Back