Hello, from NW Missouri

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurlyFat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I never introduced myself, but I've been lurking for a few months. I was pretty hard into estes kits as a young teen and then, for no particular reason, got excited about model rockets again last October (at the age of 41). Since then I've jumped head-first into the hobby, to the point of obsession (as is my general MO with hobbies). I've built around a dozen rockets in the last few months, absorbed as much info as I can, and am (obviously) looking towards getting an L1 certification this year. I am lucky enough to live on 115 acres, so launching/testing is a pretty simple thing for me to do.

I am terrified of social interactions with people I don't intimately know, but plan to overcome that to attend/participate in a couple launch events so I can get the necessary experience/connections to move forward in the hobby.

I drive a semi for a living, delivering for the factory I work for....a paper tube manufacturer. They let me take a tube now and then, so I have an 81" tube that's 3" ID and .1" wall thickness. I plan to build my first HPR with it. I live on a relatively modest budget, but this is the kind of hobby I can afford and work on by spreading out the purchases and slowly building larger projects. Looking forward to getting a bit more serious about this whole rocket thing!

I guess I never introduced myself, but I've been lurking for a few months. I was pretty hard into estes kits as a young teen and then, for no particular reason, got excited about model rockets again last October (at the age of 41). Since then I've jumped head-first into the hobby, to the point of obsession (as is my general MO with hobbies). I've built around a dozen rockets in the last few months, absorbed as much info as I can, and am (obviously) looking towards getting an L1 certification this year. I am lucky enough to live on 115 acres, so launching/testing is a pretty simple thing for me to do.

I am terrified of social interactions with people I don't intimately know, but plan to overcome that to attend/participate in a couple launch events so I can get the necessary experience/connections to move forward in the hobby.

I’ll let you in on a little secret: In rocketry, we love showing off our stuff, and we also love seeing what other people are doing. That’s one reason we fly together in the first place. Play to that, and you shouldn’t have a problem.

The words “How can I be helpful?” are also nothing short of magic. An offer to help set up, run, or tear down the range can help you score points with club leadership.

Being 4 hours away from the nearest club complicates participation, but I'll do what I can! Thank you for the advice.
I see. That does indeed make things challenging.

The two HPR clubs near me (2-3 hours each way) host regional multi-day events once or twice a year. If traveling to a launch is difficult, maybe see if the “close” ones do the same and plan to hit those. That way you can spend more of your time on the range and less of it driving.

Also maybe double-check the NAR Section/Tripoli Prefecture map? Can’t hurt.

Back