FOR CENTURI V2 (KS-19) ORIGINAL KIT OWNERS ONLY! Can you help settle this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Over on YORF there's a lot of chatter about the Centuri V2 (KS-19) having a 4.88" body tube, and a 4" something nosecone. My model doesn't match that at all (it does however match the Centuri 1971 catalog description). I suspect that Centuri changed the kit at some time. So, I'm asking does someone, anyone, have a kit that matches mine?

Here's the numbers that I have from my kit, and how they stack up...

5.75" Exposed Nosecone (This is the measurement now as it was slightly munched over the years)(shoulder measures 9mm)
4.00" Body Tube (no evidence of it being trimmed down or damaged)
3.50" Exposed Tail Cone (shoulder measures .5")[EDIT] This value the correct length, originally I posted 4.5" but that was incorrect.[/EDIT]
.875" Fin extension below tail cone
14.125" Total length (as is)

14.20" Length from 1971 Centuri Catalog.

My fins are 3/32" thick, except where the cardstock was glued to them.

The only people who can answer this are people who own, or owned one of these kits (and measured it). I've you've got a clone, or an Estes Kit, or a Semroc kit, or one by anybody other than Centuri, you're not going to help this conversation, and I ask that you not confuse the matter with discussions about your clone/kit unless you clearly indicate yours is not an original Centuri kit.

My V-2 was built by my 9th grade band teacher (circa 1971). I bought it and his Centuri Saturn V as well as his 1971 catalogs back in 1983.

My model was launched many times by me, and I suspect even more times by him.

As I said, my model exactly matches the 1971 Centuri model and the JimZ instructions I've seen as best as I can tell. From my examination of the rocket, I can see no indication that it was shortened, or altered in any way (save for the very tip of the nosecone which was munched at some time.

The original shock cord mount was apparently a ring glued inside the body tube. However it was replaced at some time by him (with a replica of the Estes tri-fold teabag), the rubber band shock cord was replaced by elastic cord. The parachute appears to be original. It has white ink printed on a transparent red(ish)/pink plastic sheet. and was built with red lines. The parachute says "Centuri Engineering Company Phoenix Arizona".

The paint scheme doesn't match any of the three versions seen on the instructions found on JimZ's website, and there is no decals or evidence of them ever being on the kit. Below is four views of my model:

I know that my numbers don't match up with Gord's, but it wouldn't be unheard of for a rocket manufacturer to change body tube lengths or nosecones at some time during production (e.g.: Estes Cherokee D).

For more on my methods of measuring you can visit this thread.

Last edited:
Over on YORF, jdbectec identified that I accidentally added an inch to the tail cone (I've corrected that now)... He also pointed out how my nosecone was rotated 180 degrees from the orientation it was supposed to be. When I bought the rocket, the orientation of the nosecone was rotated wrong, and I didn't know about the correct orientation until I had a look at the plans. At first glance it was easy to thing that my teacher had just come up with a pattern of his own.

Also over on YORF, another member, turbofireball, measured his (still in original packaging) V2 through the package. Here is his numbers.

So I dug up my Centuri V-2 kit (KS-19). It is a green card version with a black & white pic, and is priced at $3.50. It is still sealed, but I was able to measure the parts in question.

5.375" exposed nosecone with 0.875" shoulder
4.00" body tube ST-16 1.64" diameter (not a BT-60)
3.50" exposed tail cone with 0.5625" shoulder
.8125" Fins (below tail cone as marked on the printed sheets)

13.6875" total length

14.20" length stated on package

So, it looks like the 4" body tube is confirmed... The nosecone and fins are still a variable. Anybody else have one they can measure?

Thanks!
Jim

I have determined the nominal nose cone measurement is 5.5" The earlier the kit the longer the nose cone, the later the shorter, due to wear of the plunge cutters.

Back