Estes Space Shuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMies419

Reaction score
Found here...

https://www.rocketreviews.com/space-shuttle---estes-1284-1976-1998.html

Built one when I was younger, awesome kit. I have seen the kits for sale on ebay, they all end up being really expensive :(. Does anyone know if there is another model rocket manufacturer who has produced a rocket similar in design to the Estes version and is still in production? I would really like to build something similar to fly with my son. Thanks!

Dr. Zooch Rockets produces a Shuttle kit which is similar in some ways to the Estes model, although according to reports it flies considerably better (both on the way up and the way down).

In addition from most reports it is easier to build -- not a slap-together 15-minute job, but if you can follow instructions decently it is do-able in a span of several hours broken over two or three nights. If you built the Estes Shuttle in your youth you should be able to do a good job on the Zooch.

Zooch has a lot of other fun kits (often with hilarious yet very effective instructions) which cover the US and the Soviet space programs so check out the roster on the left side of the page here.

https://drzooch.com/

Last edited:
I had that one back in the day. Built it, but never flew it. Won a ribbon in the IBM Family Day model competition with it. Don't have the rocket or the ribbon anymore. :(

Need to spend some time on Dr. Zooch's site. I wouldn't mind actually flying a version of it now.

I had that one back in the day. Built it, but never flew it. Won a ribbon in the IBM Family Day model competition with it. Don't have the rocket or the ribbon anymore. :(

Need to spend some time on Dr. Zooch's site. I wouldn't mind actually flying a version of it now.

I am going to take a look at Dr. Zooch's version. Quick glance at the website earlier gave me the impression that it is a bit of a difficult build. I should be up for the challenge though. :D

Love the Estes kit 1284 (Space Shuttle)! Built two throughout the years it was in production. My only wish is that you could boost it a little bit higher (I wasn't aware of composite motors back then...).

Maybe if we get a letter writing campaign to Estes, we could get them to bring it back like they did the 1/100 Saturn V! The Saturn V was out of my budget as a kid, but now, not as much (I bought three; one to build now, the others to contemplate the possibilities!)

Keeping fingers crossed...

[All together now: "We want more twelve-eighty-four! We want more twelve-eighty-four!..."]:D

Love the Estes kit 1284 (Space Shuttle)! Built two throughout the years it was in production. My only wish is that you could boost it a little bit higher (I wasn't aware of composite motors back then...).

Maybe if we get a letter writing campaign to Estes, we could get them to bring it back like they did the 1/100 Saturn V! The Saturn V was out of my budget as a kid, but now, not as much (I bought three; one to build now, the others to contemplate the possibilities!)

Keeping fingers crossed...

[All together now: "We want more twelve-eighty-four! We want more twelve-eighty-four!..."]:D

I'd pay a lot of money for a good 1/100 shuttle kit that included the ET and Boosters.

Found here...

https://www.rocketreviews.com/space-shuttle---estes-1284-1976-1998.html

Built one when I was younger, awesome kit. I have seen the kits for sale on ebay, they all end up being really expensive :(. Does anyone know if there is another model rocket manufacturer who has produced a rocket similar in design to the Estes version and is still in production? I would really like to build something similar to fly with my son. Thanks!

Built one of these years ago and really enjoyed the project. If I recall correctly, the beastie flew three times before I retired it to the display shelf.

https://www.ninfinger.org/models/99asms/99asms05.html

The 1/144 scale decal set from RealSpace Models was used on this build:

https://realspacemodels.com/html/decals.htm

The scale match isn't quite perfect, but it's close enough that all but the most obsessive scale geeks will never notice.

James

I am going to take a look at Dr. Zooch's version. Quick glance at the website earlier gave me the impression that it is a bit of a difficult build. I should be up for the challenge though. :D

It's not a good kit for a raw rookie, but if you have put together maybe a half-dozen rockets and the last 3-4 ended up looking pretty good, you should have the skills to put it together. Read the instructions two or three times start to finish before you even start gluing or cutting and none of the steps will take you by surprise (especially painting, some of which needs to be done seemingly 'out of sequence').

Again, if you built the Estes 1284 as a youngster and it came out looking even half-decent, the Zooch kit should be within your scope.

I agree with JStar...the Zooch Shuttle is a great kit.....I consider myself a newbie and didn't really have any problems with it......I have built a number of the Zooch kits so maybe that helped with my paper skills...the Zooch instructions are excellent...they really take you through it step by step. There are some great build threads on the Forum that were a big help too!

For you adventurous souls, Guillows offers the Shuttle premolded foam. Attach stickers and vertical fin and off you go!

Clone the Extrernal Tank and Boosters and you have a inexpensive model.
This is in my build que.

https://www.guillow.com/spaceshuttle.aspx

I bought a Guillows foam shuttle a couple years ago and once in a while I think about trying to convert it to a full-stack flying model somehow.

BT-55's would probably be about right for the SRB's and a 2-liter soft drink bottle would be in the ballpark as the basis for the External Tank.

But you'd also have to figure out some kind of clear plastic/"flame fins" setup to make the whole thing even remotely stable.

I bought a Guillows foam shuttle a couple years ago and once in a while I think about trying to convert it to a full-stack flying model somehow.

BT-55's would probably be about right for the SRB's and a 2-liter soft drink bottle would be in the ballpark as the basis for the External Tank.

But you'd also have to figure out some kind of clear plastic/"flame fins" setup to make the whole thing even remotely stable.

SRB's= 146 in diameter (times) 1/100 scale= 1.46 inch diameter... BT-55 is 1.34 IIRC... so a bit undersize... I think Semroc has some tubes that are closer in size... (I posted a tube size guide here awhile back-- my computer melted down so I don't have access to the one I had on my desktop ATM)...

ET= 331 inches in diameter (times) 1/100 scale= 3.31 inches in diameter-- that's a toughie... nobody makes a 3.31 inch tube... you can get a 3.00 inch tube from LOC but for the 3.31 you might have to cut a slice out of the side of a BT-101 (4.00 inch diameter, same as the Saturn V 1/100 first/second stage tube) to reduce it to 3.31 inches...

Later! OL JR :)

I actually picked one up (still in the original packaging) at a Goodwill store for $2 in 2004. 8 years later I still need to finish the shuttle, then think about launching it...nah, no thinking needed...it's going airborne at least once in a big field to ensure recovery.

And for anyone horrified that I built it and didn't sell it for a huge profit....it's a rocket...it was meant to fly.

I just found the Estes 1284 Space Shuttle I built years ago but did not paint and attach the SRB's to the main tank.

The flight fin tubes with fins are nowhere to be found nor is the orbiter's nose cone. I think I can fashion a nose cone for the orbiter but it would be nice if I had the dimensions for the flight fins and tubes.

Here's hoping someone with a completed model can share the dimensions for the flight tubes and fins.

Thanks

The dr zooch kit is definitely on my short list. I think i would build it with clear launch fins just to help keep the realistic appearance. I would really like the big one from Sheri,s rockets but way too spendy for me at this point. Oh but someday.:flyingpig:

I just found the Estes 1284 Space Shuttle I built years ago but did not paint and attach the SRB's to the main tank.

The flight fin tubes with fins are nowhere to be found nor is the orbiter's nose cone. I think I can fashion a nose cone for the orbiter but it would be nice if I had the dimensions for the flight fins and tubes.

Here's hoping someone with a completed model can share the dimensions for the flight tubes and fins.

Thanks
Everything you need should be here:
https://oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1284/est1284.htm

The ST-76 tubes are 6" long ST-7, (available from eRockets).

Latest posts

Back