Estes Pro Series II Ventris Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so any progress?

The motor mount/baffle system has been installed. The two lower body tubes have been joined. Shock cord installed.

The fins have been installed. I left off the aft motor mount centering ring so I could apply wood glue to the fin tab/motor tube contact point. I also ran glue along the fin slot opening inside the body tube where the fin tabs pass through. I made external filets with thirty minute epoxy just to get a better finish and I kept them as small as I could. I will glue the aft centering ring in place soon.

The two-piece launch lug standoffs have been assembled, coated with FnF and the launch lugs attached to the standoffs. They will be attched soon, also.

I need to build up the shoulder on the 2.0" side of the 2.0/2.5 inch plastic adapter as the fit has alot of slop in it.

I hope to have it ready for primer soon. :)

The motor mount/baffle system has been installed. The two lower body tubes have been joined. Shock cord installed.

The fins have been installed. I left off the aft motor mount centering ring so I could apply wood glue to the fin tab/motor tube contact point. I also ran glue along the fin slot opening inside the body tube where the fin tabs pass through. I made external filets with thirty minute epoxy just to get a better finish and I kept them as small as I could. I will glue the aft centering ring in place soon.

The two-piece launch lug standoffs have been assembled, coated with FnF and the launch lugs attached to the standoffs. They will be attched soon, also.

I need to build up the shoulder on the 2.0" side of the 2.0/2.5 inch plastic adapter as the fit has alot of slop in it.

I hope to have it ready for primer soon. :)

Please tell me about the motor mount/baffle system.

Hmmmmmm???? Hopefully at the Sante Fe dam.....hint hint.....

I beleive all of the Pro Series II kits are over 500 grams at liftoff, so none of them will be launched at the Santa Fe Dam until the CA law is changed to eliminate the antiquated Model Rocket weight limit.

AND we are now in Ren-Fair season, so we have a 10 N-s power limit and altitude limits since we are launching and recovering on a much smaller field for the next 2 months. Plenty of fun with smaller rockets and saucers and helicopters. Scout groups are already booking launch dates since they are happy attending less crowded launches and can easily meet the power and altitude limits.

If attending, arrive early to avoid horrible Ren-Fair traffic jams. We launch early and they start later in the morning, so it is easy to avoid the traffic. A lot of people come to a launch and then go over to the Ren-Fair for the afternoon.

And "NO", we have not figured out why so many of the Ren-Fair people are dressed like pirates. I guess they think the Renaissance was filled with pirates walking around.

Please tell me about the motor mount/baffle system.

My baffle system is a 'home-brew' version of the one used in the AeroTech kit line.

I took the optional thrust ring provided in the Ventris kit and glued it inside the forward end of the motor mount tube. After the glue dried, I drilled small holes in the forward end of the motor mount tube, through the thrust ring, and out the opposite side in a "+" pattern.

Using some T-pins (Available at your local office supply store (Staples)), I placed a T-pin through one hole and out the opposite hole. I repeated this for the two remaining holes. This will keep the baffle mesh from ejection out of the rocket. I secured the pins with CA adhesive. Cut the head of the pins off and then wrap the forward end of the motor mount tube with a band of masking tape. I coated the outside of the tape with wood glue and let it dry.

The baffle mesh is known by the trade name Chore-Boy but several companies repackage it under their own name (Quickie calls it "Stainless Steel Scourer", Scotch Brite refers to it as "Stainless Steel Scubbing Pads"). It's the same product I used to order in bulk when I worked for AeroTech. One can cut up a single mesh pad into two or three pieces which be used in two/three rockets.

After cutting the mesh pad, I stretch it out a little bit then push it into the back of the motor tube until it touches the cross pins at the front of the motor mount tube.

That's it.

I would caution against using this baffle method with standard/Estes wall thickness tubing. It works best in 29mm motor tubing as it has a thicker wall.

I use this method in two inch and larger body tube rocket kits. The largest diameter motor mount tube I have used it in has been 38mm.

I hope that answers your question. :)

I have made quite a bit of progress on my Ventris build.

The lower section of the model is ready for primer.

I decided to make the upper section a payload compartment for my Altimeter Two which required the drilling of some holes in the adapter and nose cone bulkheads to center a 18mm/BT-20 tube. I also drilled some 1/8" diameter holes in the payload tube 180 degress apart.

I have mentioned the loose fit of the tube adapter into the 2.0" body tube so I added some shims to build up the circumference of the tube adapter shoulder. After doing this, I put the model together to have a look at it.

Somethings not right. :confused:

The tip of the nose cone is off the centerline of the model.

What the...

I take off the payload section and look at the shoulder of the tube adapter.

It's molded at a angle. :eek:

Darn it!

I couldn't tell this before as the fit was so loose. After I shimmed up the shoulder the molding error becomes obvious.

I'll have to adjust my shims to see if I can straighten the payload section out.

It will be a few more days before I can spray the primer on the model. Sigh.

Estes Ventris Payload Section.jpg

Estes Ventris Payload Section Closeup.jpg

I'll check mine to see if the transition is off as well. Why not call Estes and see if they will replace the part?

I beleive all of the Pro Series II kits are over 500 grams at liftoff, so none of them will be launched at the Santa Fe Dam until the CA law is changed to eliminate the antiquated Model Rocket weight limit.

I thought it did change to allow for bigger rockets. I can't keep up, it's so retarded anyways. Guess I'll just have to look for it at Lucerne or just get my own. :(

I decided to make the upper section a payload compartment for my Altimeter Two which required the drilling of some holes in the adapter and nose cone bulkheads to center a 18mm/BT-20 tube. I also drilled some 1/8" diameter holes in the payload tube 180 degress apart.

I have mentioned the loose fit of the tube adapter into the 2.0" body tube so I added some shims to build up the circumference of the tube adapter shoulder. After doing this, I put the model together to have a look at it.

What the...

Darn it!

I couldn't tell this before as the fit was so loose. After I shimmed up the shoulder the molding error becomes obvious.

I'll have to adjust my shims to see if I can straighten the payload section out.

...Hi Bob...as I stated in my email, I'm not sure why we didn't hear from you about this issue...but now that we've had a few contacts we know that there is something wrong with some of the adapters and we will try to make it right with those purchased already and we will most definitely get with the vendor and find out what's up. Like I said in the other Ventris posting, our QC staff checked an AQL set and they met spec, but there are some loose ones out there...and Bob will be getting his new adapter next week.
Mike

What the...

Darn it!

Paint it white with a suitable starship name: U.S.S. CLINTON ;)

Update:

Thanks to Mike (bear69) I received a package from Estes containing a replacement 2.0"-2.5" plastic adapter and 2.5" payload section body tube.

This new adapter is much better than the original kit one.

An Estes cap was also in the shipping box. Very stylish. :)

Thanks again, Mike.

The building of my Ventris model is complete.

Now comes the finishing.

Currently, the model has received it's second coat of primer.
Estes Ventris Primer.jpg

I bought a Ventris last week at Hobby Lobby...price isn't that bad with a coupon. Mine is together and is being primed. I have several posts about my build on my blog: https://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/search/label/My%20Projects%3A%20Estes%20Ventris

I liked the components well enough. The transition is sloppy but is fixable with tape. I'm not a fan of the tri-fold mount so I added a Kevlar leader with a home-grown cord protector. As mentioned earlier, mine doesn't extend out of the top of the body tube (if you do so, a properly placed piece of duct tape will keep it form zippering). Some people don't like the elastic for this sized model but my NCR kits (with the Gorilla mounts) are going strong after MANY flights.

There were typos in the instructions and they vary in detail from step to step, but were adequate. When I read the finishing section, I thought the roll pattern decals were supposed to be included. Now I see I was wrong.

I like the new retainers and think they will go on all my 29mm rockets from now on. I've made my own from PVC fittings but these are lighter and grinding PVC it PITA. I also liked the included sleeve that is used to make sure the centering rings are on evenly. I left it out of the kit in case I can use it elsewhere in the future.

A motor block? Really? These haven't been needed for mid power since masking tape was invented. :bangpan:

Over all, I say this was a good 1st showing. Clip coupons!

I am excited about these ships, for one, it is Estes and a ton of us BAR's started here...

Granted a few found Centuri..it goes on..

Thanks for the info and the pics, I am ordering mine now and look forward to the build and challenges ahead!!

Finished! :)

It took longer to build and finished than I expected but my Ventris model turned out pretty nice.

Thanks to Gordy/Sandman for his excellent decals. The kit should have come with the decals. :(

I'm not sure when/where the first flight will be. It may happen at NARAM-54.
Estes Ventris finished.jpg

Very nicely done, sir!

Just opened mine up today (all pieces fit) and plan to get started later on when the temperatures in the garage drop down to bearable.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Just picked one up here in Edmonton.
$54.99 CDN (about the same in US$).

I'm looking forward to this one. First Pro Series II model. It's definitely beefier than the Big Dog and High-Q I have. :D

Just opened mine up today (all pieces fit) and plan to get started later on when the temperatures in the garage drop down to bearable.

Well, it turns out that after assembling the motor mount and epoxying it into place, I'm ready to start plugging in the fins but the fins aren't ready at all.

Direct from the package and taped together, they looked okay. Once I separated them to begin sanding, I noticed they generally were shaped like potato chips.

I decided to try to salvage them by applying a heavy coat of Windex with ammonia to both sides of each and pressing them on a sheet of plate glass and weighted down with 30lbs of iron barbell plates. After a second attempt at this process, all but one are flat.

My next attempt will still be on the plate glass but I will use a small spacer so that I can "over flex" the fin. Hopefully it will be flat when the pressure is relieved.

I suppose I could just use QQUAKE's stack/pin/saw method to create a new set of 1/8" ply fins but that defeats the purpose of buying the kit, right?

What the...

Darn it!

Just tried mine, the molding is fine, but the fit is very loose as well.
Ironically, the Quest 2" tube has a good fit. Hmmmm

I picked up a Ventris at the Callallen HL with a 40% off coupon and it has the dreaded undersized transition. I will be contacting Estes on this also. Other than that, it's a great looking kit! I was hoping to have it ready to fly at the next STAC launch but I will have to wait for Estes to send a new part.

It has been awhile since I have posted about the Ventris model I built.

As it turned out, the first and second flights of my Ventris did happened at NARAM-54.

On both flights my Altimeter Two unit was on-board in the payload section. Both flights were great and recovered with no damage other than some dirt which was cleaned off.

For my first flight I used an AeroTech F50-6T single-use motor.

Flight results:

Apogee: 1,165 feet

Max Speed: 224 MPH

Burn Time: 1.1 seconds

Peak Acceleration: 14.3 g

Ave. Acceleration: 9.7 g

Coast to Apogee Time: 5.1 seconds

Apogee to Eject Time: -.3 seconds

Ejection Altitude: 1,090 feet

Descent Speed: 13 MPH

Flight Duration: 59.7 seconds

N54 Ventris awaiting Launch.jpgN54 Ventris powered by F50-6T motor.jpgN54 Ventris climbing.jpg

For my second Ventris flight at NARAM-54, an AeroTech F25-6W single-use motor was my propulsion choice.

The use of an White Lightning motor definately made the launch more 'visual'. :wink:

Flight results:

Apogee: 1,142 feet

Max Speed: 170 MPH

Burn Time: 2.3 seconds

Peak Acceleration: 17.1 g

Ave. Acceleration: 3.4 g

Coast to Apogee Time: 6.3 seconds

Apogee to Eject Time: -.3 seconds

Ejection Altitude: 1,129 feet

Descent Speed: 11 MPH

Flight Duration: 74.2 seconds

N54 Ventris awaiting second launch.jpgN54 Ventris powered by F25-6W.jpgN54 Ventris second flight.jpg

I picked up a Ventris at the Callallen HL with a 40% off coupon and it has the dreaded undersized transition. I will be contacting Estes on this also. Other than that, it's a great looking kit! I was hoping to have it ready to fly at the next STAC launch but I will have to wait for Estes to send a new part.
I received the replacement transition on the 28th and I am going to finish it tonight. That was really good customer service from Estes on this!

Well........the replacement is no better than the original transition. I guess I will try to build it up with CA to get a good fit so I can continue building for next Saturday.

Back