Eclipse photo corrections...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here I am with another cockamamie thread. I have Paintshop Pro 2023 - a tool with far more capabilities than I have time to fiddle with, much less become an expert at. Yes I did manage a head swap once. I thought that the same technique could be useful in putting the "real" eclipse into pictures of the family with the eclipse behind them which, in my rush, I overexposed, and the eclipse looks more like a full sun. One idiotic notion is to just pull it up in a graphics program and literally put a black dot in the center of the glare. But that seems a bit elementary. We could see the solar prominence at the 6:30 position with our unaided eyes and I was hoping to include it, as everyone was remarking about it and wondering what it was.

Of course, my source eclipse images are on the same order of size as the whole frame and must be reduced considerably, but I just thought I'd throw it out - has anyone tried this in the wake of the recent eclipse? Am I being too picky, just be thankful for what I've got? Or is anyone interested in a solution if I DO work it out?

I'm going to reply to my own thread! What I need is a properly-exposed eclipse against the actual sky. I have to replace the entire over-exposed area with a properly exposed eclipse.

The images I have through the solar filter won't work, or else would take more skill than I have, as they fade to black.

Back