CTI Discussion Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it matters if it contains magnesium, aluminum, or any other kinds of powdered metals. The ingredients are kind of irrelevant. It is APCP and the fire hazards associated with APCP and what it takes to safely store APCP, is what is important, Those hazards are going to be the same no matter what the metals are used in the APCP.
Worrying about the ingredients while storing APCP is kind of like worrying about if gasoline has Mobile Synergy, Sinclair Dinocare, or Chevron Techron additives in it when you store it. It doesn't really matter, it's gasoline.

This should have been posted here.
Quote"
I'm new to CTI, just wanted to try something different. I just received a 29mm 5G H194 Red Lightning, dated 8/27/15. Or nearly 9 years old. Old AT Redlines can be a bit tough to light, but the biggest issue on old AT Redlines is that something happens to the delay grain. Burns shorter, I've heard. So...

1. Is there likely a problem getting this Red Lightning to ignite?

2. What about the delay grain?

TIA,

Hans."
@4regt4

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/old-cti-red-lightning.185615/

1. No problems at all lighting red propellants
2. if you're worried use a altimeter. I've flown much older stuff, however.

I just saw this in one of my rocketry discord servers. I'm really starting to think that CTI is on their way out of the hobby. I really hope I'm wrong about that.

Screenshot_20240429-221900.png

I just saw this in one of my rocketry discord servers. I'm really starting to think that CTI is on their way out of the hobby. I really hope I'm wrong about that.

If true that would mean they dropped, red, blue, white, white thunder, c-star, and classic along with VMAX several years ago.

IDK, doesn't seem right

Tagging @tbonerocketeer as I believe he's the author of the response on the Tripoli Facebook post and may be able to add clarity/details/confirmation. Apologies if I'm tagging the wrong person!

View attachment 643194
Does "currently manufacturing" mean "all others are discontinued" or does it mean "we are in the middle of making batches of these?" It seems really odd that they would drop white and classic.

View attachment 643194
No we are not getting out of the hobby, but we are experiencing significant issues with supply and production. Hopefully we'll be back on track by the end of the year.

Bob.

This should have been posted here.
Quote"
I'm new to CTI, just wanted to try something different. I just received a 29mm 5G H194 Red Lightning, dated 8/27/15. Or nearly 9 years old. Old AT Redlines can be a bit tough to light, but the biggest issue on old AT Redlines is that something happens to the delay grain. Burns shorter, I've heard. So...

1. Is there likely a problem getting this Red Lightning to ignite?

2. What about the delay grain?

TIA,

Hans."
@4regt4

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/old-cti-red-lightning.185615/

I am pretty sure CTI doesn't use ferocene (spelling?) as their catalyst in their in their red motors. It's what Aerotech uses and it loves to contamination the delay grain (which causes it to burn faster). The other day I opened a G77R reload and you can see yellow staining on the bags the grains were bagged in where the ferocene leached out. In the days of the G71R reload, they just tossed the delay grain in the bag, I flew many G71-1R's. I wasn't too worried about that reload because it was relatively new, and the grains were in their own bag, and the delay was in a separate bag with the innerts, and if I remember correctly, the delay grain itself was bagged.

As for the CTI goes as ignition, it depends on how well it's been stored, has it been opened? Strontium Nitrate loves to absorb water, so it will not take long for the propellant to become hard to ignite. If it's sealed, it's shelf life is probably a couple decades.

I am pretty sure CTI doesn't use ferocene (spelling?) as their catalyst in their in their red motors. It's what Aerotech uses and it loves to contamination the delay grain (which causes it to burn faster). The other day I opened a G77R reload and you can see yellow staining on the bags the grains were bagged in where the ferocene leached out. In the days of the G71R reload, they just tossed the delay grain in the bag, I flew many G71-1R's. I wasn't too worried about that reload because it was relatively new, and the grains were in their own bag, and the delay was in a separate bag with the innerts, and if I remember correctly, the delay grain itself was bagged.

As for the CTI goes as ignition, it depends on how well it's been stored, has it been opened? Strontium Nitrate loves to absorb water, so it will not take long for the propellant to become hard to ignite. If it's sealed, it's shelf life is probably a couple decades.
We haven't used Ferrocene for many years. You have some really old reloads. ;-)

No we are not getting out of the hobby, but we are experiencing significant issues with supply and production. Hopefully we'll be back on track by the end of the year.

Bob.
Does that leave time in the schedule to address the previously acknowledged habit of the short 54s burning through at the bottom and why the long 54s have a propensity to burn through at the top? Did you get the test stand set back up and had a chance to test the reported redesigned parts?

Or time to address why the long 38s seem to have the same bad habit?

Or why the newer production 54 tubes and closures often won't work with old or new production tubes and closures?

Bob.
One of my favourite suppliers (All Rockets, Waterloo) has been out of stock on practically everything since last fall. With flight season upon us, I really hope this gets resolved sooner rather than later.

I wonder why they stopped making Classic and White?
My impression is that it's because they can't get all the ingredients and materials for anything but Mellow, G3, Skid, and SS. That seems like an odd list, but it's not like they specifically decided to not make Classic.

Here's hoping they get back on track, I'm glad Bob gave us an update.

Bob.
Do you expect to have either WT or BS propellant by the time TARC flying starts again in the fall? The team I work with will likely need to make decisions about motors in October or maybe November. While I would hate to have to change manufacturers, I also need to know that motors will be available in the spring if we make it to finals.

It's possible the supply of the key ingredients is constrained, not zero, could even be more than in the past, but it could also be that it's needed for war production, or available subject to being designated only for certain purposes, etc. Also, Canada is not U.S.

Those are all valid points, but....

I want my M2245, dang it!

It's possible the supply of the key ingredients is constrained, not zero, could even be more than in the past, but it could also be that it's needed for war production, or available subject to being designated only for certain purposes, etc. Also, Canada is not U.S.
Maybe someone could shoot Gary and Scott’s number over to CTI, they don’t seem to be suffering from supply issues and are both producing full line up of propellents and both have even been actually getting new motors certified recently.

Back