Clone build: Centuri SR-71 Blackbird #5349

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, didn’t realize that this kit from centuri is rare. I have one, unopened, if anyone is interested. PM me

Testing three kinds of inkjet decal paper and comparing.
Laser decal paper on standby if this goes south.
Paper "A": Glossy sticker paper by LD. No clear coat needed cuz no water involved.
Paper "B": White decal paper by Blingasm (yes, that's the name).
Paper "C": White decal paper, No name Chinese company (can't read Chinese characters).

The decals from the sticker paper looked initially promising but started lifting after a few minutes. Repeated re-burnishing did not solve the problem. The adhesive is just too weak. Tossed it out.
Decals on Papers B and C after three coats of clear:
0722221827[1].jpg
And the results are.........................
TBC
😄

The plan was to apply the left side with decals from paper B and the right side with decals from paper C and compare them. Started with the rudder decals. Blingasm decals take a much longer soak time before releasing, over a minute. The Chinese decals are a much thinner film and released after a 45 second soak. As expected, both decals bled a little ink from the cut edges due to exposure to water. While I could touch up the edges with a Sharpie after drying, I'm just going to remove them and replace with laser printed ones.
Left:
0723220345[1].jpg

Right:
0723220346[1].jpg

Next: laser printed decals.

Since the rocket is black it seems like the decals would be better if no black ink was used. Thus the clear decal would use the black paint on the rocket itself.

In my experience it works best to trim the black edges after soaking, so you can remove the white edges. I start with them a bit oversized so I leave room for trimming.

It's not that bad. You do it with scissors while it's still on the backing paper. While you're experimenting, you should give it a try. It solves the problem.

Good to see this thread coming up. Sorry to say I never got started on this build. Life always gets in the way of fun.
I have some time now maybe I will get started on this build. Kuririn you have done a great job on this build.
Keep up the good work. I have gone back and read this thread a couple of times now and the only thing I can add to it is
if anyone has a 3D printer the original nose cone file can be found here. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4627832

Kuririn, would you do me a favor and measure the large USAF and tell me what the size is?
I'm in touch with Mark at Stickershock23 and he is going to do me the markings.
He measures the USAF at 1.65 wide just under 1/2"tall.
Is that a close measurement?

Kuririn, would you do me a favor and measure the large USAF and tell me what the size is?
I'm in touch with Mark at Stickershock23 and he is going to do me the markings.
He measures the USAF at 1.65 wide just under 1/2"tall.
Is that a close measurement?
I get 3/8" high, 1 7/16" wide.
This is the edited scan from post #4 printed at 100%.

For anyone interested I sent Mark over at Stickershock23 a request to make me a set of decals
for this model. He made me a set so anyone who would like to clone this kit Stickershock23 can
make up a set of marking.

I got the decals yesterday from Mark at Stickershock23. They look pretty good.
Have just about got all my parts together to start my build.
Will get the tubes cut today. Stickershock Decals.jpg

I know this is an old post but does anyone know the parts list? Specifically the tubes and lengths?
Thanks
Edit... I found the information I was asking for

Last edited:
Update: She maidened today on a D12-5
Unfortunately forgot to take a pad pic and no video.
Flight report: Nice straight ascent and deployment at apogee.
Maybe 400 to 500 ft.
Both chutes deployed and it came down horizontally and landed in some tall grass about a hundred yards from the launch pad. A couple of shroud lines had torn out of one chute. No other damage. I'm calling it a success.
Laters.

Back