Citation Patriot Restoration

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gldknght

Reaction score

Attachments

• Old Citation Patriot.jpg
    Old Citation Patriot.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This thing was really beat up, since it is almost 40 years old. The fins were damaged and badly warped, paint and decals were peeling.
So my first step was to use a razor saw and cut the fins off, then sand the body tube smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_192104.jpg
    IMG_20221028_192104.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Sanded.jpg
    Sanded.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Fins Off.jpg
    Fins Off.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
One additional things that was damaged beyond repair was the Estes motor retainer hook, so I decided to cut the hook off, and install one of Estes' screw on retainers.

Attachments

• New Retainer.jpg
    New Retainer.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I used the old fins to cut new fins. Then I papered the fins using heavy card stock and gorilla wood glue. I have a couple sheets of wood the same thickness as the original fins. It's really good quality wood, nice tight grain, but very light.

Attachments

• New fins cut.jpg
    New fins cut.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Here the papered fins are attached. I used a 1/4 inch thick square of foam board as a fin guide. You can also see where I added a small section of coupler to the bask end of the body to strengthen that damaged area.

Attachments

• Jig and added reinforcing.jpg
    Jig and added reinforcing.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Fins papered and installed.jpg
    Fins papered and installed.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Here is the old "Patriot" in primer next to my much newer "Citation Patriot". Sorry the photo is a little blurry, due to finger prints on the cell phone camera.

Attachments

• Primer.jpg
    Primer.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Always nice to see old birds restored to their former glory. First offered in 1971, it was indeed the Citation Patriot, with "Citation" being a series of premium kits initially offered in boxes, presumably to be sold alongside other boxed models. There was a specific Citation catalog: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/citation71/71cit12.html Sometime later, Citation kits became just regular bagged kits, they showed up in the regular catalogs, and the Citation name was dropped.

Attachments

• CitationPatriot.png
    CitationPatriot.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 0
Back