Calling all EEs!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTP2

Reaction score
So I have a ps4 controller I’m modifying to be a raspberry pi zero based hand held emulator. But the pi takes 5 volts and the Lipo is a standard 3.3 so I need to

A get a boost converter (I don’t want to as it’s 3 dollars I don’t want to spend if I don’t have to)

B maybe that controller does it for me??

So I did the obvious thing and started putting my multimeter in places and I realized I can’t turn it on and poke at the same time (probably intentionally) but I thought that if anything is going to run on 5V then the main chip will so I tried googling it and found nothing… I don’t think they would make a chip especially for it but maybe so? Any ideas?

A couple questions. What normally powers the ps4 controller? I assume its a 5V USB port from the PS4? How does the PS4 controller connect to the rasberry Pi, USB?

A couple questions. What normally powers the ps4 controller? I assume its a 5V USB port from the PS4? How does the PS4 controller connect to the rasberry Pi, USB?
The controller has a USB but it’s not the normal way, normally it uses blue tooth so it has a ultra dense battery like in cell phones that I’m planning on stealing from (my math says I’ll still get 10 hours of play time). I will take the power from the board by soldering wire to the bits that hopefully have 5V and that goes to the 5V pin and the ground pin on the pi.

Well I did some digging (AKA I went to the second page of google) and found these, Article and GitHub repository. They seem to be what I need as my display is This one from Adafruit that is SPI and can run on 3.3 volts. Any problems I’m missing? Because it seems like there’s a problem I’m not seeing?

Back