Black Aero Eggtimer Pro Case 3.0 problems PLEASE HELP!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenf

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the Molex connector used in this kit already prewired with tails? Fiddling with these stupid pins that don't want to stay in the connector is driving me insane, I'm about to throw the damn thing in the garbage. Bought all kinds of specialized tools just to crimp and work with these damn pins that I will never use on anything else. I also bought the pre crimped wires listed in Mountain Man Rockets fine YouTube assembly video, but they won't fit the male side of the molex connector supplied by Black Aero. I have reached out to Kyle at Black Aero but for some reason I haven't received replies, so I'm hoping someone here can help me save my sanity.

That looks right to me. I also had a ton of trouble getting the pins to stay in the connector. I ended-up potting the back with epoxy once I got them how I liked them. I'm not an electrical wizard, so I'm not sure what I was doing wrong with pins. I used the Molex crimper too.

Read through this thread, lots of info on the molex issues and the proper tools to get.
I did both, getting pre wired and the tools. Once I got the tools it was super easy.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/eggfinder-rx-lcd-pro.170085/#post-2221930

This is the tool I purchased….

iCrimp SN-28B Dupont Terminal Ratchet Crimper 0.1-1.0mm ²(AWG28-18) for 2.54mm 3.96mm KF2510 JST XH VH Connectors​

Read through this thread, lots of info on the molex issues and the proper tools to get.
I did both, getting pre wired and the tools. Once I got the tools it was super easy.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/eggfinder-rx-lcd-pro.170085/#post-2221930

This is the tool I purchased….

iCrimp SN-28B Dupont Terminal Ratchet Crimper 0.1-1.0mm ²(AWG28-18) for 2.54mm 3.96mm KF2510 JST XH VH Connectors​

I've gotten decent at crimping them, the problem is even the supplied pins don't stay in the molex plugs, they come back out. And yes I made sure I had the fins angled correctly so that they catch. I'm done messing around with that as long as the pre wired ones fit. Thanks for the info though.

Last edited:
That's weird. I wonder if some/all of the parts you have are knockoffs? I've only had genuine Molex stuff work perfectly in the past.
They are from Kyle, so I doubt it. I'm just going to put JST-XS extension cable on the balancing connector from the battery and let that dangle. Not clean, but I think it is the better solution. I think Kyle might want to rethink that connector for version 4.0.

I've gotten decent at crimping them, the problem is even the supplied pins don't stay in the molex plugs, they come back out. And yes I made sure I had the fins angled correctly so that they catch. I'm done messing around with that as long as the pre wired ones fit.
The problem I've had is getting the pins to push into place with the gauge wire they take and with zero room to use any sort of tool to give them a push.

I've gotten decent at crimping them, the problem is even the supplied pins don't stay in the molex plugs, they come back out. And yes I made sure I had the fins angled correctly so that they catch. I'm done messing around with that as long as the pre wired ones fit. Thanks for the info though.
This was my issue as well. I got good crimps, kept the pins straight but would insert it and the tabs on the pin (or socket, didn't matter) would just not hold. I could just pull them back out or when I inserted the mating connector, it would push some of the pins out the back. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong either, but it was frustrating.

As I stated, I got mine positioned where I liked them and then potted the back so they couldn't move. So far so good. I did however install a 2000 mah battery, so I don't find myself charging it a lot. I would also consider the pre-wired pigtail connectors for my next build as I'm planning on building another one for 70cm use.

Does anyone know where I can get the Molex connector used in this kit already prewired with tails? Fiddling with these stupid pins that don't want to stay in the connector is driving me insane, I'm about to throw the damn thing in the garbage. Bought all kinds of specialized tools just to crimp and work with these damn pins that I will never use on anything else. I also bought the pre crimped wires listed in Mountain Man Rockets fine YouTube assembly video, but they won't fit the male side of the molex connector supplied by Black Aero. I have reached out to Kyle at Black Aero but for some reason I haven't received replies, so I'm hoping someone here can help me save my sanity.

I gave up on the molex and just hung the jst charging connector out the side. Works for me...

I gave up on the molex and just hung the jst charging connector out the side. Works for me...
If you have a charger that only uses the balance connector for charging, you can just hang a balance connector extension outside the case. I love my old Turnigy P606 charger... it's perfect for rocketry, too bad you can't get it anymore.

I feel your pain on this. On my first attempt I attempted to put the pins in the wrong connector. One side worked great but the other would not, so I thought my issue was rooted in the removal of the pins in the female housing. I found the connector (without the panel mounting tabs) on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Q5NL8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 In the end, I potted the pin/wire's into the original case connector with hot glue. The Micro-fit molex connections are definitely finicky in my book.

I may do the same (just hang a balance lead extension out the opening) as I generally charge with FMADirect Cellpro4 chargers (another good one sadly no longer available).

I used the iCrimp SN-28B crimpers for my pins. I used a pair of very fine jeweler’s needlenose forceps to grasp the wire just at the base of the crimped pin to push the pins until they clicked in. If you have wire with silicone insulation, it’s like pushing wet spaghetti. One pin just absolutely would not seat. Looking at it under a 10x loupe, the wires in the forward crimp were just a hair too long. Also, those connectors have something like five little whiskers and if you mangle even one of them the pin is probably not going to fit right. So mind how much insulation you strip off, insert wire into pin and bend the aft tabs in enough to hold the pin on, inspect with a loupe, then insert in crimper and look at how much of the front of the pin clears the crimper jaws. You need good magnification to see those little whiskers. If they are clear, crimp away. Solved my problem. Thank goodness Black Aero gives you a few extra pins to play with.

Back