Anyone have any random nerdy facts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only three specific isotopes of any element have their own unique names. 3H is called tritium, 2H is called deuterium, and 1H is called protium.
2^He is called diproton. for very small fraction of a second...

How is it late? What did I miss?
I was wondering that too, I already knew that steel stiffness is pretty much constant no matter the strength/hardness. This is a big misconception among knife makers too.

I guess so it’s just that it has always been explained that way even in text books so I don’t feel bad.
The difference between isotopes is the number of neutrons. But the nomenclature, such as H-2 or U-238 reflects the number of nucleons.

That is not a trivial error.
That’s arguable I think, a nucleon is a particle in a nucleus so it’s 1 a proton or 2 a neutron and you already know how many protons there are because you know what element it is. I see that nucleons are the definition but it’s an odd way to define it.

Ps But I’ll inform them anyway.

“Arctic” is from the Greek arktos, “bear,” because the constellation Ursa Major, “the greater she-bear” (also known as the Big Dipper), is always visible in the northern polar sky. “Antarctic,” therefore, literally means “opposite the bear.”
So it also goes there are polar bears in the Arctic but no bears in the Antarctic.
Not sure what our polar regions would have been named had they been more of a fan of Penguins, or (no) Penguins.

No, we'd have nuclear fuel spilling out onto roads from time to time in crashes.

Nerdy fact, California says no Nukes in my backyard to be built; yet the Navy has all the Nuke Ships docked right on their Coast at the bases. No nuke spills from those that I ever heard about ... yet...

Last edited:
How can an airplane crash be less dangerous than a car crash, they are bigger and faster? Or something else?
In general terms, an airplane crash is more dangerous. Airplane black boxes don't absolutely, always, every time survive crashes.

Remember that Murphy's Law, "If anything can go wrong, it will", is not a joke or a comment on the general cussedness of the universe; it is an edict, regarding safe and reliable system designs, issued by Mr. Murphy, an engineering manager at NASA. To put it another way, "That should do" is the vilest of curses to an engineer.

Yep, mini nuke casks , just like the huge ones that are on Semi-Trailers; ever see one of those ?
This! I haven’t but I’d love to.
Nerdy fact, California says no Nukes in my backyard to be built; yet the Navy has all the Nuke Ships docked right on their Cost at the bases. No nuke spills from those that I ever heard about ... yet...
The only military nuclear reactor accident I’m aware of is this

Ps that guy makes the most accurate nuclear content I’ve found, every one else is a idiot.
In general terms, an airplane crash is more dangerous. Airplane black boxes don't absolutely, always, every time survive crashes.

Remember that Murphy's Law, "If anything can go wrong, it will", is not a joke or a comment on the general cussedness of the universe; it is an edict, regarding safe and reliable system designs, issued by Mr. Murphy, an engineering manager at NASA. To put it another way, "That should do" is the vilest of curses to an engineer.
I don’t disagree, I just don’t want people to think that everything nuclear is bad and incredibly dangerous. Because it’s not.

The original formulation* includes a much greater implication of human responsibility and fallibility, and I find it far more valuable as a guide to thought.

Also, Murphy was kind of an a-hole. Leading up to the incident after which he uttered the famous words, the team of which he was in charge wanted to run some pre-checks and make sure everything was GTG. Murphy impatiently refused to allow them to do so, essentially saying, "Just run it." When there turned out after the fact to be a problem that made the whole operation a waste, which would have been caught by the pre-checks he ordered not to be conducted, he threw a subordinate under the bus for having made the error. Spectacularly a dick move, and then he gets to be famous for it.

*ETA: "If there are two ways to do something, and one of them will f&%$ everything up completely, then sooner or later, [that guy] will do it."

Basically, Murphy was blaming the problem on one particular engineer or tech, but after many decades of progress in human factors and process controls, we have come to understand it to be a fundamental truth of the universe that can affect pretty much everybody (consider the Dilbert Principle).

Last edited:
OK, but everything involving fission fuel has a large potential to be dangerous, and one must think twice and twice more before implementing some new application. And I'd have to say yes, it's a good thing that this application was not implemented.

The only military nuclear reactor accident I’m aware of is this
If you are curious about what can happen with nuclear materials, have a look at the book Command and Control, by Schlosser. It details the way the USA looks after its nuclear weapons and details just how things can go wrong. It is a really good record of just how lucky they have been so far. The main event discusses is the "Damascus Event". I highly recommend the book, and it is sitting on my bookshelf here next to me as I type.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Damascus_Titan_missile_explosion

Back