Amazon TubeeQueen Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno if this counts as a vendor deal, but Amazon has a sale of TubeeQueen shipping tubes. I just got a 4" diameter 30" long tube for $16 and change after the discount and coupon was applied. Plus free shipping so it was cheaper than a BTH-4.0 tube from eRockets. Gonna give it a try, what's the worst that could happen? I can always fiberglass the tube if it's not 100%. I have an extra nosecone already laying about, so here comes yet another rocket....

Hoy cow! Amazon just sent me a shipping confirmation -- for the tube -- that is arriving August 31 --- like seriously WTF?
Is someone walking the thing here from California?
More than a month to arrive?
And I just know that it won't be in a box -- an empty tube with a shipping label on it, and probably crushed by the time it gets here. Seriously rethinking this.

Hrmmm. Actually tracking the package however, seems to indicate delivery before Aug 3, maybe even before July 31.
Maybe Amazon's email AI system blew a fuse.

The surface finish never bothers me as any sufficiently larger rocket requires more primer, more paint, and perhaps a thin coating of laminating epoxy pre-primer. I'm currently working on a rocket that's a very old shipping tube. I was worried it was too soft after all these years, so I fiberglassed it. I did a terrible job, but I'll get it sanded and then give it a second layer of very light fiberglass before I get to the priming and painting. Any tube can work as a base if you're willing to do the work to beef it up. And if it dies after a few flights, well, it was a learning experience.

My TubeeQueen 4" tube arrived at last. I can report that it easily fits a 4" nosecone.
Actually a little too easily, the tube is a loose fit, I'd have to wrap the nosecome with a lot of masking tape or I'll have to beef up the inside of the tube with some cardstock and white glue. But it was cheap. And I can make it work. Close enough for Government Tolerances. If I make my own centering rings, I probably won't have to sand them down like I usually have to, so there's that!

Attachments

• IMG_5510.JPG
    IMG_5510.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5511.JPG
    IMG_5511.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
The extra weight and extra work to make it all function properly together points me in the direction of using tubes actually made for rocketry.
Where's the fun in that...🤪
Taking something not meant to fly, that costs a few dollars less than something that is, and then spending many hours and lots of $$$ to make it flight worthy, .... well that's a plan anyhow :headspinning:

Back