AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the new B14T ad on the back cover of the May/June issue of Sport Rocketry. :cool:
Haven't seen the magazine yet (it will probably be a week or more) but Yes! So.....about when can I actually buy some? I've been checking the Aerotech web site every day since the certification announcement. :)

RMS-75/10240 M2700W-PS TRA certification. This motor was developed for the upcoming $10,000+ AeroTech Space Challenge contest.
View attachment 641567
View attachment 641568
In the process of designing a 75mm min-diameter beast around the RMS-75/10240 case. Any dimensional info available, or will just scaling in an additional grain length do the trick? Need data I am confident in because of the retention design! Checked RCS but nothing showing up yet.

In the process of designing a 75mm min-diameter beast around the RMS-75/10240 case. Any dimensional info available, or will just scaling in an additional grain length do the trick? Need data I am confident in because of the retention design! Checked RCS but nothing showing up yet.
Here you go. (From the less-organized bottom section of the RMS dimensions page)

Anyone know the status of the AT J1265? I was looking into high-impulse motors for a maiden flight on a 15-lb FG rocket this fall. Based on lead times for motors, I'm trying to do some pre-planning.

This thread announced the certification of said motor. The current Aerotech Motor Matrix lists the motor. But all the major vendors seem to not have it catalogued in their stores (that includes the manufacturer, Aerotech) as if it doesn't exist.

The RMS J1299 seems really close to the same motor, but requires hardware that I have yet to procure. Any info out there? Thx.

Anyone know the status of the AT J1265? I was looking into high-impulse motors for a maiden flight on a 15-lb FG rocket this fall. Based on lead times for motors, I'm trying to do some pre-planning.

This thread announced the certification of said motor. The current Aerotech Motor Matrix lists the motor. But all the major vendors seem to not have it catalogued in their stores (that includes the manufacturer, Aerotech) as if it doesn't exist.

The RMS J1299 seems really close to the same motor, but requires hardware that I have yet to procure. Any info out there? Thx.
It has not been released yet.

The 75 mm K1499N was an awesome reload. Is there a plan to replace it with something similar - perhaps an X variant? The 75/1280 motor is pretty lonely.
Those didn’t sell well. That case needs a high burn rate propellant to be useful, hence the K750ST. We could try Blue Thunder in that case.

Well, if it's like the prototypes Gary showed before, it's 4AA cells inside.

Even so, I'm looking forward to this gadget.
I sure hope its more the 4 AA Cells.... I am looking at this product as something that can potentually replace my current personal launcher which I built in high school in 1999. If it is just 4 1.5vt cells, Maybe I'll use it to drive the relay in my current box...

Well, if it's like the prototypes Gary showed before, it's 4AA cells inside.

Even so, I'm looking forward to this gadget.
I may have imagined this after a couple too many beers, but I thought it used a 9V battery. Seems I remember discussion about getting the correct one (with the cylindrical cells, not the layered flat cell versions). Or using a lithium single use 9V.

Or I could be wrong....

Hans.

I may have imagined this after a couple too many beers, but I thought it used a 9V battery. Seems I remember discussion about getting the correct one (with the cylindrical cells, not the layered flat cell versions). Or using a lithium single use 9V.

Or I could be wrong....

Hans.
The little handheld Phaser from Aerotech uses a 9V battery and the documentation supplied with it directs you to use a lithium-based 9V battery. That drove the whole 6LR41 cylindrical alkaline cell vs stacked pressed cells vs. lithium in either cylindrical or pouch cells discussion AND my R&D for the vNARCON this past January as well as data shared in that big 9V battery thread.

I sure hope its more the 4 AA Cells.... I am looking at this product as something that can potentually replace my current personal launcher which I built in high school in 1999. If it is just 4 1.5vt cells, Maybe I'll use it to drive the relay in my current box...
IIRC, the preliminary info on the iLaunch (that's probably up in this thread from the winter) calls for lithium-based AA cells. This MAY drive me to conduct a similar set of comparative tests on 4 AA cells (I have the equipment I need and some "test victim" cells as well as a pretty good supply of Estes Solar Starters contributed by another TRF member on hand) but this is lower priority for my rocketry time until after NARAM.

Added: here is the preliminary info posted up this same thread at the end of last September: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/aerotech-open-thread.125657/page-235#post-2491052. Here's the image, with the salient to this discussion bit highlighted

ILaunch_prelim_ad.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd understand 4 AA batteries or a single 9vt controller for a starter set, but I'd expect somethng better for this type of controller. Well I can probabily use it to drive my relay box then.

I would expect the hand held unit to be powered by 4 AAs or a 9 volt. All it needs is to get the signals to the pad unit. The pad unit will need a high current battery. Large 3S LiPo or lead acid for the starters.

I would expect the hand held unit to be powered by 4 AAs or a 9 volt. All it needs is to get the signals to the pad unit. The pad unit will need a high current battery. Large 3S LiPo or lead acid for the starters.
The hand held unit for iLaunch is your phone or tablet....that's the whole point of the thing. What Gary showed in his post is the pad box.

Even so for the bulk of the flying I do by myself or with my wife it will serve the purpose if the right AA cells (or an external battery) are found.

Yeah, I probabily saw that but its been a while and forgot about it.

How well does it work with Rechargeable Lithium Batteries? For example:
https://www.amazon.com/POWEROWL-Rec...t-Battery-Qty/dp/B0CNP89CH4/ref=sr_1_5?sr=8-5
I would be REALLY cautious with the protection circuit that is in these (per the Amazon page) and what its upper current limit is, as well as how quickly it kicks in, to determine if these would be suitable for the iLaunch (or an Electron Beam or other 4-AA-cell-based launch controller). As I mentioned before, I may go down that rabbit hole later in the year, but not before NARAM.

When I did the 9Vs I stayed away from rechargeables simply because there were so many variations that testing them as I was doing with primary batteries would be really time consuming and expensive for purchasing all the test samples.

In the primary AA lithium cell realm it looks like the Energizer Ultimate alternatives — since I expect Gary is basically thinking of the Energizers when calling out primary lithium cells — are not half the price of the name brand as was the case in the 9Vs. So maybe there is less incentive to go with Voniko or EBL cells for this use. We shall see, but not right now.

I liked the new B14T ad on the back cover of the May/June issue of Sport Rocketry. :cool:
Hey, Bob — how come you're talking about the ad on the back page snd didn't say anything about my wife's article in that issue? We got ours today.

Of course that would be off-topic for this particular thread, I suppose...

Back