AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to ask a Pink Book Lawyer 😂

I'm sure AT's stance is it is not certified/warrantee if you milled a part up or down on their motors.
Totally wrong. Bottom line, if you have the small hole use a unibit to enlarge it to fit the large noozles. This is a direct quote from Gary R to myself around 500 years ago. I drilled out all mine in about 20 minutes, maybe a dozen closures. Doesn't make it a research motor, doesn't void any warrantee!

Thanks Stephen !

I used a decimal ruler on a hard copy to measure the OD and ID of the hole on the aft view:
View attachment 639840
I got 0.815 inch so the RMS 38/1080 appears to use the aft closure with the big hole -- same as the RMS 38/720 ...

-- kjh

The large diameter closure was developed when Blue Thunder was introduced and a larger nozzle was needed

The large diameter closure was developed when Blue Thunder was introduced and a larger nozzle was needed

Not sure about that as the original I435 used the small closure, and the I300 could still use the small closure.

The large closure was developed for the J350 and as AT evolved, other motors were designed with the larger nozzle and larger expansion cone (I180, I366, new I435, and then the J motors).

As noted by a few folks earlier in this thread, I'm also unable to download files from RCS right now. Last night I noticed it and it appears to continue into today. Seems to be any linked file in the RESOURCES section of the website.
1712845137407.png

Not sure about that as the original I435 used the small closure, and the I300 could still use the small closure.

The large closure was developed for the J350 and as AT evolved, other motors were designed with the larger nozzle and larger expansion cone (I180, I366, new I435, and then the J motors).
Interesting ...

I've got an old RMS 38/600 I435T that I will be flying 'soon' -- as soon as the forecast launch site conditions 'feel' OK for a 6600 ft flight ...

I don't want to open the baggie yet so I don't know the AT Batch but I bought the motor from John Thompson in Ocotillo, CA in May, 1998.

I see on the ThrustCurve.org > I435T page that the thrust curves were updated for RASP in 2006 and for RockSim in 2008 but I can't find the Cert Docs on the Tripoli Site ( they only go back to 2018 ).

What is a 'new' I435T ?

And these are probably Q's for @AeroTech:

Q: How does one know they need the 38mm aft closure with the large nozzle opening -vs- the 'standard' nozzle opening ?

Q: How does one buy a 38mm aft closure with the large nozzle opening ?

Q: Does it even matter ? IOW, do all new 38mm aft closures come with the 0.8xx inch nozzle opening now ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

As noted by a few folks earlier in this thread, I'm also unable to download files from RCS right now. Last night I noticed it and it appears to continue into today. Seems to be any linked file in the RESOURCES section of the website.
View attachment 640008
Yes, I still get that error on all the "External Dimension Drawings" on the RCS RMS Motor External Dimension Drawings page, even after restarting my browser.

Maybe another Q for @AeroTech / Gary ...

-- kjh

Believe most all of the closures on the market now are the larger opening.

The small opening aft closure I have was purchased in 1997. In 1998 I the aft closures I purchased were all "large" and I did not specify that.

Doubt the cert data would change as I do not thing AT had to re-cert the select 75mm motors when they chanced from medusa nozzles to the single throat.

You maybe correct. I was told many many years ago that the original nozzle was to small web wise and the BT was simply blowing the nozzle.

I don't remember if there was an answer regarding LDRS 42 special edition cases becoming available.... does anyone know if it's going to happen? Tnx.

Interesting ...

I've got an old RMS 38/600 I435T that I will be flying 'soon' -- as soon as the forecast launch site conditions 'feel' OK for a 6600 ft flight ...

I don't want to open the baggie yet so I don't know the AT Batch but I bought the motor from John Thompson in Ocotillo, CA in May, 1998.

I see on the ThrustCurve.org > I435T page that the thrust curves were updated for RASP in 2006 and for RockSim in 2008 but I can't find the Cert Docs on the Tripoli Site ( they only go back to 2018 ).

What is a 'new' I435T ?

And these are probably Q's for @AeroTech:

Q: How does one know they need the 38mm aft closure with the large nozzle opening -vs- the 'standard' nozzle opening ?

Q: How does one buy a 38mm aft closure with the large nozzle opening ?

Q: Does it even matter ? IOW, do all new 38mm aft closures come with the 0.8xx inch nozzle opening now ?

Thanks !

-- kjh
Yes, all the new 38mm aft closures have the large opening and have been that way for many years.

Some relatively good news to report, we were able to negotiate a lower hazmat fee price with UPS. The fee has been reduced from $51.00 per box to $38.25 per box effective immediately, a 25% reduction.
Is this for all vendors when shipping Aerotech or just for Aerotech direct to consumer sales?

Edit with update:
Learned on Facebook this is only for Aerotech direct to consumer sales.

Last edited:
Is this for all vendors when shipping Aerotech or just for Aerotech direct to consumer sales?

Edit with update:
Learned on Facebook this is only for Aerotech direct to consumer sales.
The responses on FB were confusing to me.

The benefit is:
AeroTech direct to consumer
AeroTech to dealer/distributor
Dealer to consumer if the dealer has negotiated these rates as well

Last edited:
B14T: Waiting to hear on final certification numbers from TMT
iLaunch: Waiting to receive production samples (should be any day now)
Thanks, Gary.

I’m mainly hoping that the B14Ts will be available soon enough that they can be contest-approved by NAR for this year’s NARAM. If available they would be the best choice for one of the events.

Back