Adhesives: What is you favorite and why?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
West System Six10.

A GLUE THREAD!!!!
muppets kermit GIF

Elmer's Carpenter's Wood glue. So easy to use and I don't end up with a mess of stuff like after using epoxy nor do I glue my fingers together like with CA. No gloves needed, no worries about acquired allergic reaction, nor do you need to filter the air nor ventilate.

Something very zen about just using good old wood glue on a cardboard and wood rocket.
Im Right Sheldon Cooper GIF by CBS

Last edited:
I like the brown Gorilla Glue for Wood to wood and wood to Cardboard joints inside where the foaming can't be seen; Like building a fin can outside the tube.

I like the clear non-foaming Gorilla glue for places where it could be seen, or else just use wood glue to like seal the slots in the body tube to the fins so air does not get in and under them.

Very light weight.

Wood glue, TB2, or Gorilla. (But then I play with cardboard and wood primarily) BS 30min epoxy for nose weight and motor mount installation.

I have no single favorite adhesive. Everything is pretty application specific even if I have no hard data justifying my reasons😂
I love:
US Composites. Probably my #1 laminating adhesive due to cost
Fiberglast 2000, just because
Soller Composites 820, wanted to try something different
Rocketpoxy, pre-thickened, seems nice, has an awesome name, enjoyable to use, made by glenmark industries
Proline because it 'seems' really good and smells really dangerous (it smells pleasant)
Fas-stick, definitely doesn't sag!
Jb weld 5 minute, perfect for low level performance and fast set up.

JB Weld is a favorite of mine. I don't use it more often because it's expensive for the amount you get.

I also noticed that they changed the formulation in the past few years (I noticed a change in how it smells when you mix it).

Everything I've used up to this point...

Bob smith 5 & 30 minute. Mid and high power
JB 5 minute mid and high power
Smooth On Epoxamite for laminating
West Systems for laminating, filets and other bonding on high power
Us Composites for laminating and filets

All have worked as needed in the applications used. Don't sleep on the BSI, I built my L2 rocket with BSI 30 minute and it has flown on K's without issue.

the right one for the job.

west 105-205 or 206 is a really good laminating epoxy but is not a structural adhesive
west six10 for gp epoxy for most rockets (and fillets because it's no sag)
3M DP-420 and DP-460 for high mach min diameter where you really need strength, but it's pricey. (comes in no-sag as well)
Locktite Hysol E-30 for high strength bonds
titebond II & III for any cardboard joints because it's stronger then the tube it's gluing, and epoxy is over kill.
JB weld for retainers if I have no open 3M
Cheap CA with accelerator for tacking fins until i can put a better glue to it.

so, the right glue for the job.

Almost everything I build these days is done with TiteBond II, and I use it in woodworking too. I occasionally use TiteBond Quick and Thick and very infrequently I use Bob Smith 30 min.
I like TiteBond just fine, my only complaint is its long drying time.

System Three is my favorite.

Silvertip for laminating
T-88 for structural stuff
Gelmagic or filled Silvertip for fillets
5 minute for tacking things in place

JB Quick Weld with steel for attaching fins to mmt's and retainers. CR's to motor tube and CR's to BT.
Seabond CA. Thin, medium and thick.
PC Super Epoxy for fillets. It doesn't sag and stays where I put it. I can do all the fillets, both for 3 or 4 fins, at the same time. It has a good working time.
Occasionally, TiteBond II.

I've been using WEST System 105 with a medium hardener for the past 35 years. Really great stuff and if you buy the different thickeners like micro balloons of colloidal silica you can thicken it for whatever. Last year I started using Total Boat High Performance Epoxy Resin. Unlike WEST it doesn't form a amine blush which is nice. And it is little less expensive than WEST.

I am almost exclusively a low power guy, generally using “traditional” materials.

My favorite water-based glues are Titebond II for most things, and Alleene’s Tacky Glue especially for motor mount installations (it is not as grabby), and especially when working on group builds. I use Alleene’s when joining tubes with couplers for the same reason (think Star Orbiter, for example).

For paper-to-plastic joints, there are water-based glues sold as “canopy glue” for the RC market which are good. And also @hcmbanjo’s favorite Beacon Fabri-tac and Foam-tac.

When epoxy is needed (motor retainers on PSII kits or when using the Estes screw-on retainers elsewhere, mostly) a 12-30 minute cure epoxy from Bob Smith is what I reAch for.

Thin CA gets used for hardening motor hook slots, the tops of body tubes where the nose cone/payload goes in (as a wear-mitigation strategy) and sometimes also the lower ends of motor mount tubes (same thing).

And seeing as it’s still Christmas morning where I am for a little less than an hour, Merry Christmas everyone.

Global Adhesives Epoxy, comes in a cartridge, uses mixing tips, super strong, self-leveling, 5 minute set time. AND, it's free from my sons business.

Last year I started using Total Boat High Performance Epoxy Resin.
Don't you mean "Botal Toat"?

Anyway, for me it's any old yellow PVA. Elmers, Tightbond any number, Gorilla, house brand generic; they're not all the same, but they're all close enough for me for most purposes. Yes, I use other things for specific jobs, but yellow PVA is my favorite (which was the question).

AND, it's free from my sons business.
Well, that's certainly a great big mark in the pro column.

Last edited:
Back