A term that you cannot stand:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Should" has never expressed a legal requirement. For years, the law schools in the US stressed that the word "Shall" is a contractual legal requirement to be fulfilled. The The Supreme Court of the United States ruled that “shall” really means “may” – quite a surprise to attorneys who were taught in law school that “shall” means “must”. In fact, “must” is the only word that imposes a legal obligation that something is mandatory. Also, “must not” are the only words that say something is prohibited.

Here are some references that say to use the word “must” instead of “shall”:
Footnote: U.S. Supreme Court decision was in Gutierrez de Martinez v. Lamagno, that under certain contexts, shall could be construed as may. The decision does not imply that shall always means may, but rather that unless expressly defined, context determines whether shall is mandatory or precatory. As a result, "must" and "must not," without context, are the only words that impose a mandatory legal obligation or prohibition.

Interestingly, "Shall" continues to persist in contracts today, independent of this ruling.
Interesting, as there's certainly precedent concerning the distinction between "shall issue" and "may issue" states concerning concealed carry permits.

Flammable, inflammable, and combustible all have similar sounding definitions, but there are important differences, if you deal with hazmat and firefighting. Basically:
Flammable - can be easily set aflame with an ignition source at 60 degrees or less. (I.e. gasoline)
Inflammable - can be set burning on its own without an ignition source. (i.e. Unstable chemicals or certain elements)
Combustible - can burn, but it's temperature must be raised above 60 degrees before it will burn. (Certain fuel oils, and materials that are around us all the time, but not as easily burned.)

So ends today's lesson in fire safety.
Addendum: I have seen people do very stupid things... I once saw a woman filling both Gas (RED) and Diesel (Yellow) cans at the pump to get the most fuel with her store card discount. (There used to be no specific limit on gallons purchased.) Due to people holding a live nozzle, to have another car pulled up and fueled, (Danger... Will Robinson) There is now a limit of 25 gallons max and one car period. As for the cans... They are color coded for a reason because of the different flash points and behaviors of those fuels so that firefighters know what to expect. I learned about this as a firefighter in the late '70s. It is against the law to put gas in a diesel or kerosene container. Or more correctly, illegal to use the wrong container - period! If there is a fire, the firefighters could be killed thinking there is diesel, but instead there is gas in the can...

As a (software) engineer, “should” triggers me, especially when things are going wrong and someone is trying to convince me that their code is blameless because of what it should do. Don’t tell me what it should do: go, look, and tell me what it’s actually doing.

This ranks up there with "basically", when used in explaining something. I had a Special Forces instructor who banned us from using the word in any context. If we were giving an order, he would say "When I hear you say "basically", I immediately assume you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Say it specifically or someone is going to get killed."

Now, when I hear people use the word, it is like finger nails on a chalk board. And, I immediately assume they are booger eatin' idiots.

I'd like to...

As in, "I'd like to share that Jack has announced his retirement."
"I'd like to welcome you to tonight's lecture."
"I'd like to express my appreciation for all you've done."

If you'd like to, just do it!

I probably should have kept it to myself. At a recent launch, several millennials, referred to a member as a "boomer" and this club member is a gen-x-er. I would never use the term millennial negatively but they did with Boomer and they are clearly wrong.

Just call them "tide pod."

I might think that started on TV investigative reporters covering "Pinto" incidents or mocked up tests?

Remember when a TV crew investigating So called S10 Pickups that exploded when T-Boned?
They were caught putting an Estes motor in the Tank Filler to cause the ignition.

It wasn't S-10, it was the full-size C/K pickups from 1973-1987.

----------------------------

A couple more contributions, since we're going into mispronunciation:

Alfa Romero
Austin Martin

Besides being specifically annoying in my world of cars, these illustrate two related and widespread phenomena that I find more generally irritating:
  • Insertion of a random consonant that isn't there into a word with which the speaker is unfamiliar ("Romero").
  • Changing a word with which the speaker is unfamiliar to make it like or more like a word with which the speaker is more familiar ("Austin," "fentanol," or "Delron").

Last edited:
Just call them "tide pod."

It wasn't S-10, it was the full-size C/K pickups from 1973-1987.

----------------------------

A couple more contributions, since we're going into mispronunciation:

Alfa Romero
Austin Martin

Besides being specifically annoying in my world of cars, these illustrate two related and widespread phenomena that I find more generally irritating:
  • Insertion of a random consonant that isn't there into a word with which the speaker is unfamiliar ("Romero").
  • Changing a word with which the speaker is unfamiliar to make it like or more like a word with which the speaker is more familiar ("Austin").
Some ~15 years ago, Alfa Romeo was the featured marque at the Monterey Historics. On the cover of the official program, they spelled it "Alpha Romeo". I have a copy somewhere. When they figured out the error, they had stickers made with the correct spelling and covered up their mistake.

Hans.

"Red Flag" used to refer to the combat pilot training exercises held around Las Vegas, NV. It also means any behavior someone deems to be a risk to the community or individual, Hence "Red Flag" laws whereupon an individual may be deemed dangerous enough for the authorities to seize property without due process. Such as firearms.

There was someone I once worked with who used to say "Now here's the thing..." Ben Grimm of The Fantastic Four is "The Thing", so too the alien creature in the sci-fi movie set in The Antarctic. She couldn't have meant those. Presently, there's someone in our volunteer group with a limited vocabulary. She assigns the list of groceries each of us must bring to the upcoming camping trip. My list includes a "thing" of bread and four "things" of hamburger buns.

"Red Flag" used to refer to the combat pilot training exercises held around Las Vegas, NV. It also means any behavior someone deems to be a risk to the community or individual, Hence "Red Flag" laws whereupon an individual may be deemed dangerous enough for the authorities to seize property without due process. Such as firearms.
It's great when Red Flags are happening here. I've seen some great aircraft overhead. Indian and German MIGs, Tornados, Typhoons, Rafale's and many many more. IIRC in 2004 I saw two contrails. Both were like you would expect. Then one went from flat to vertical and at an angle then flat again. What I saw was an F22 using it's vectored thrust. Yes I know this post has nothing to do with the thread. Give me a minute and I'll think of something.

Some ~15 years ago, Alfa Romeo was the featured marque at the Monterey Historics. On the cover of the official program, they spelled it "Alpha Romeo". I have a copy somewhere. When they figured out the error, they had stickers made with the correct spelling and covered up their mistake.

Hans.
Reminded me of a periodic table I got in the mail. Fluorine was spelled "Flourine" and the printed symbol was Fl, not F. Possibly excuse-worth, except that it accompanied a thick catalog....from one of the top chemical companies. :oops: :oops:

Back