A term that you cannot stand:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Neanderthals are called ā€œcave menā€ I know itā€™s an old term but itā€™s still super common. Also most hominids didnā€™t live in caves we just found there stuff in there because itā€™s good for preservation.

Ok,
Here goes.
This is a pet peeve of mine for many years..

Either-

I did my best

Or

I'll do my best.

Either you accomplished what you had to or you didn't.
I really don't care nor does it matter what your best is.

Teddy

The confused misuse of the following similar sounding words, but with very different uses:
To, too, two
Your, you're
Here, hear
There, their, they're
And so on. It astounds me how often I see these used incorrectly in news stories, posts, print ads, other promotional materials. I usually automatically assume that writer is an amateur (perhaps unfairly). I now believe that there is no real effort put into editing anymore, which used to be a real career profession. Editing is lacking, even in news organizations. I'm not the grammar police, but in professional writing situations, I expect more.

And no, I'm not a teacher, editor, or writer. But these things used to be drilled into the heads of young students and we usually got it right by the 5th grade.

The confused misuse of the following similar sounding words, but with very different uses:
To, too, two
Your, you're
Here, hear
There, their, they're
And so on. It astounds me how often I see these used incorrectly in news stories, posts, print ads, other promotional materials. I usually automatically assume that writer is an amateur (perhaps unfairly). I now believe that there is no real effort put into editing anymore, which used to be a real career profession. Editing is lacking, even in news organizations. I'm not the grammar police, but in professional writing situations, I expect more.

And no, I'm not a teacher, editor, or writer. But these things used to be drilled into the heads of young students and we usually got it right by the 5th grade.
and 'loose' and 'lose'

To, too, two
Your, you're
Here, hear
There, their, they're

This bothers me, too. But I was much judgier about it before autocorrect. Now I know there's at least some chance the author mistyped something and autocorrect "fixed" it to the wrong word. (You should proofread your writing, of course, but that's a different type of failure than not knowing which word is which.)

How could I forget----theory? (as it is usually used today). "Scientific theory" must be used to denote the original meaning. :(

Low-key rant follows, ignore as desired:;)

Most people who say "I have a theory about that" do not even have a hypothesis. They have a claim. Often based on one or two observations. Or on anecdotal evidence. Or on nothing at all (which makes it an opinion).

Quick-and-dirty definition, should you need to explain it to someone not versed in science:
A scientific law says "Here's what happens under conditions XYZ". A scientific theory says "Here's our best understanding of why."
Calling an explanation a scientific theory is a huge compliment. Many a Nobel Prize has been awarded for "just a (scientific) theory."

Murica...or Merica either spelling....

As a former service member I find it extremely disrespectful to this country.

You served, and you get to assess this by your own standards, but I think that "Murica" is used as an ironic term and not a disrespectful one.

Kind of like
"I need a 40mm body tube".
"40mm? How much is that in Freedom units?"

In any case, thanks for your service. What branch?

ā€œBu-onā€ or ā€œBri-ishā€ or any time someone drops the ā€œTā€.

Totally fine with ā€œBoomerā€. My response is usually just to ask them for extra ā€œCool Hwhipā€ in my latteā€¦

EDIT: Oh, and while Iā€™m at itā€¦.ā€Existential Threatā€. Most of the people using that have no clueā€¦

Last edited:
SKU

"We have over 40, 000 SKUs in our inventory (or assembly, or 'line', or shelf, or...) , and we need to reduce that number.."

You served, and you get to assess this by your own standards, but I think that "Murica" is used as an ironic term and not a disrespectful one.

Kind of like
"I need a 40mm body tube".
"40mm? How much is that in Freedom units?"

In any case, thanks for your service. What branch?
US Army.

bucket yolo GIF

You'd think one wouldn't yell "YOLO!" while risking that one life.

These are all great, keep em coming.

Another one for me: The Internet, when what's actually meant is the web, or certain websites.

Many things run on the Internet, not just the web.

In the words of the great Senator Ted Stevens: It's like a series of tubes. It's not a truck.

Back