60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Seattle Area Rocketeers – I’m not too good at reading the weather tea leaves, but it looks like some light showers this weekend. Friday might be the best day, then Saturday, Sunday looking a little worse.

I’m open any of those days and willing to take a chance. If you have preferences, let me know, the more the merrier!

I still have some odd rocs to test!

Ken

Ken

Any of these days work for me.

See you there! I imagine you’ll be the only other person there with a rocket, so you should be easy to find.
It’ll be awfully wet and for complicated reasons including our power being out, I don’t get a lot of sleep, BUT, I’m still thinking of launching, HOWEVER not til at least 1 PM. The sun might even come out by then.

Nothing locked in concrete yet.
So be sure to check here, or email me at berkun @ soundpaper . Com

A few pics. vagabond hit 11 feet on a Quest E35-5. @Neutronium launched his first ever rockets and they flew perfectly. Videos later.

Attachments

• IMG_6758.jpeg
    IMG_6758.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6746.jpeg
    IMG_6746.jpeg
    762 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6751.jpeg
    IMG_6751.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6754.jpeg
    IMG_6754.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6717.jpeg
    IMG_6717.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6684.jpeg
    IMG_6684.jpeg
    857.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6677.jpeg
    IMG_6677.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6678.jpeg
    IMG_6678.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Edit: yes I will enter in the MESS database.

I flew my Fugly Duckling III on three E12-6s. One blew out a nozzle. Leading to a hard landing.

Amazingly, the long silly fins did not break.

I’ll be asking Estes Model Rockets for a replacement engine and BT80 tube and coupler. It’ll fly again.

Heck, I might be in the new mini version.

Fd III

FD III on board.

Attachments

• IMG_6832.jpeg
    IMG_6832.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6828.jpeg
    IMG_6828.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6829.jpeg
    IMG_6829.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6843.jpeg
    IMG_6843.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Edit: yes I will enter in the MESS database.

I flew my Fugly Duckling III on three E12-6s. One blew out a nozzle. Leading to a hard landing.

Amazingly, the long silly fins did not break.

I’ll be asking Estes Model Rockets for a replacement engine and BT80 tube and coupler. It’ll fly again.

Heck, I might be in the new mini version.

Fd III

FD III on board.

I don't know, but pic 6829 looks like the e-match head is stuck in the motor nozzle ?

Yes, noticed that. But that shouldn’t be enough to pull the nozzle out. It popped right out when I inspected that.
I suppose if Estes makes a point of that, I won't argue much, although haven't used these electric matches so many times and this being their first failure like this, I have to blame the nozzle.

Here's another fun flight from Friday.

Scratch-built model rocket made from a Fairlife Milk Carton. On a previous flight an Estes D12-3 engine had CATO'd, which melted the carton. After inspection, I reattached the fins, reloaded it with an D12-3 (different date code) and launched it again. To my surprise, it worked better than I expected, it went up perfectly, but the chute did not deploy, leading to a hard landing. Well, I imagine there were enough holes in the stuffer tube that the chute never had a chance.

Check out this other video, a fellow going by the name Vinky, happened to catch the flight from his drone:

And here we are trying to pull the nosecone out of the ground:

with new best buddy, @Neutronium

Attachments

• rockets 058.JPG
    rockets 058.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 0
  • rockets 052.JPG
    rockets 052.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • rockets 064.JPG
    rockets 064.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi All - here's the announcement of this Wednesday's WAC (Washington Aerospace Club) meeting. Note Zoom link, available to everyone.

Featuring our own @BEC talking about contests. And whether you plan to enter a contest or not, it should be a great presentation, and a fun meeting in general.

From: [email protected] <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Bryce Chanes
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2024 12:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [WAC-Members] Exciting Month of Rocketry with WAC! Meeting on Wednesday!

Good afternoon rocketeers!

It is time for our monthly WAC Meeting. We've got some exciting presentations and topics lined up, and don't forget to bring some show-and-tell!

Meeting Details:

Date:
Wednesday, May 1st

Time: 7:00 PM

Virtual Attendance:
For those unable to join us in person, we've set up a dedicated Zoom meeting room to ensure everyone can participate. Use the following details to connect virtually:

Zoom Meeting Details:

Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6368998078?pwd=Mlpkby94K3picHM2ZHJ3amFMd2dQQT09
Meeting ID: 636 899 8078
Passcode: Rockets

Presentation Details:

"Challenges and Fun on (mostly) less than 10 Newton-Seconds: A look at Model Rocket Competition" An overview of low power rocketry competition from a late-onset rocketry competitor. I’ll look at the wide range of different competitions from the knothole of a returnee to rocketry who tried a little competition and found out it could be both frustrating and fun to mix it up with “the big boys” and sometimes even beat them.

Speaker Details:

Bernard Cawley is 15 years into his BAR (Born Again Rocketeer) period after being a model rocketeer in Jr. High and High School in the late 1960s-early 1970s. This time around the rockets have taken over his hobby time and money. With a yen toward testing, he has likely flown more altimeter-instrumented model rocket flights than anyone. This data has informed his occasional efforts in model rocketry competition. He retired from engineering at Boeing in 2016 and now has more time to fly. He is also the nominal president of the Boeing Employees Model Rocket Club. He is married to his wife of almost 45 years, Avis, who has recently become a rocketeer and a competitor in her own right.

Other Topics that will be included:

• University of Washington's Rocket club will talk about their recent set of launches as they prepare to head to the Spaceport America Cup in June
  • Flight reports from the May TCR and OROC launches
  • Project update of the WAC Group Project
Show-and-Tell:

Don't forget our Show-and-Tell session! Whether in person or virtually, share your rocketry projects and achievements. Email me at [email protected] with pictures or videos ahead of the meeting or be prepared to share your screen temporarily.

Bryce Chanes
WAC President

Now I feel silly having just written to Bryce (WAC president) to ask about time and confirming the place. Since I'm not in WAC, I didn't get that note. :oops:

Back