1010 rail joints

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
1st, is there any problems with joining 2 4' sections of 1010 rail with slot lining up, or a friction problem at the joint? I plan on using 3 of the connectors in the slots not used. Also, why is it so hard to source the rail? I can find it , but the shipping is astronomical!!! One place was $38.00 for 120" rail, and $231.00 for shipping!!!! I'm in a small town, 180 miles from anywhere that might carry it, so I'm looking at 2 4' sections from Amazon and $30.00 shipping...I can get an 89" one piece, shipping again, like $35.00. But, if that is about normal, I'll get either one. Would I be better getting the one piece, or going to the 2 sections for portability?....Thanks to all, this site is a God send.....rsbhunter

Is there a Grainger's near you? They typically stock it. (Just saw you are 180 from civilization so probably not).
Putting sticks together should be OK just make sure your screws are tight at the joints and the slot lines up correctly. You may have to check your fit and re-tighten as the day goes by due to the amount of launches, wind, constant raising and lowering the rail, etc.. Locktite may be your friend.

Those prices are normal. I have an 8 & 6 foot section connected. There is absolutly no problem. However, if I had the choice of two 48" or one 89", I would clearly go with the 89" if that length is no problem transporting. The 7" difference is negligible. BTW....I do not consider the shipping astonomical.

Is there a Grainger's near you? They typically stock it. (Just saw you are 180 from civilization so probably not).
Putting sticks together should be OK just make sure your screws are tight at the joints and the slot lines up correctly. You may have to check your fit and re-tighten as the day goes by due to the amount of launches, wind, constant raising and lowering the rail, etc.. Locktite may be your friend.
Suggest that, if the things are coming loose, a belleville or square cone washer may be less annoying than Loctite, since you set this up and take it down often. With such washers, one needs to make the correct number of turns or fraction of a turn after encountering resistance. Here is an over-the-top application:
http://cozybuilders.org/Prop_Bolt_Bellville_Washer/
However, it's my guess that the regular hardware will work fine if torqued correctly. The thing about correct torque is that it uses a significant fraction of the strength of a bolt, so if you, say, double it, you may snap the bolt. There are torque wrenches which make a little click when you reach the set torque, and I imagine after using one a while, you'd get a feel for it. Or, if you're using one of those long Allen wrenches, you can estimate torque by angular deflection of the bolt. Torque specs, as I recall, assume clean metal. If it's lubricated, you'll need less torque to get to the same bolt tension, and if it's grungy, you may need more.

Maybe the regular hardware won't work if you're using your launch rail at night in Antarctica, putting it on a transport without disassembly, and then launching again at noon in Saudi Arabia the next day. You might need more than one Belleville to make that work. ;-)

Ordered from govets,today it shows shipped!!! I did check Grainger, but again, the shipping showed over $100. I honestly figured it might be awhile for shipping , but its on the way.?....Thanks again for all the info.....you guys are great....rsbhunter

Back