Wildman Two Stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
HPR staging is something I've been interested in, for a long time, but I've never played with. A few months back, Tim dangled something in front of my nose that I couldn't say No to, so I picked up one of his two stage specials.

It's been waiting for me to get some other things out of the way, first, and it's now time to start working on it. It's going to be slow progress, as I have a bathroom project that needs more attention, but it has started...

No, I don't have a picture, yet. I've done something exciting and have epoxied the two retainers onto the motor mounts. Whooo! :eyepop:

-Kevin

I'm sorry, I can't understand what your doing w/o a picture......... hehehe

Does your toilet work? If so, I say build the rocket first!

Does your toilet work? If so, I say build the rocket first!

Considering that it's in a box, next to my wife's desk....I'd say No.

I currently have three piles of bathroom bits in another room....

-Kevin

I'm with Kevin, let's keep Deb happy. I hate to say it, but she's likely more valuable to many of us here. ( I personally don't want my membership to lapse...)

Meanwhile, back to the build... I too am eager to learn from your [rocket ] project.

(Edited to be clear I don't want a bathroom build thread....)

Very interested to see this build. Just take a spare bucket and bolt it under that toilet and you're all set!

I vote to keep the lady happy. She sent me a 20 year pin and I always enjoy her little notes. and whut Bill said!

Three pics...

Motor mounts, with retainers bonded on. One has an AeroPac tailcone, the other has a Giant Leap QuikLock. I chose the latter, because it will be up inside the interstage, so having something compact is an advantage.

two-1.jpg

Next is the bottom motor mount, with centering rings tacked in place, and the Kevlar strap taped in place, as well.

two-2.jpg

Finally, the lower motor mount fully slobbered with epoxy.

two-3.jpg

Before I can do anything on the upper motor mount, I need to buy a piece of brass tubing to serve as a conduit -- the pieces I have all are too large in diameter.

-Kevin

Instead of brass, if you have a kite shop nearby, I've used fiberglass or carbon tubing from there for airstart conduits. Fairly cheap, too.
-Ken

You're either single, or destined to be.... :p

-Kevin

I'm married to the best woman ever. :) She's 36 weeks pregnant with twins, and demanding that I go to a launch this weekend. However, if I bolted a bucket to a toilet I'm pretty sure she'd go boondock saints on me with the lid.

Man,,,,,,,
you guys are tooooooooooooo funny..........
It's almost midnight and I'm going to bed chuckling...........
Tank you very much...........
Teddy

Looking to get one of these for my 3 in Dark Star.

My main question is how to mount the electronics.

I "found" a Dark Star two stage in my trailer at RG14, (I have NO idea how it got there, It followed me home honey can I keep it?) but my plans are using a brake line for conduit, it has a flared end which will make threading the "starter" leads easier. I have to figure out how to work on what would appear to wifey as TWO new rockets.

I did a Quantum Leap years ago,, that for some unexplained reason shredded the sustainer, so I am excited to get this bird together.

Tom

I "found" a Dark Star two stage in my trailer at RG14, (I have NO idea how it got there, It followed me home honey can I keep it?) but my plans are using a brake line for conduit, it has a flared end which will make threading the "starter" leads easier. I have to figure out how to work on what would appear to wifey as TWO new rockets.

I did a Quantum Leap years ago,, that for some unexplained reason shredded the sustainer, so I am excited to get this bird together.

Tom

If you could take a picture of the label on the box, I would appreciate it. Mine didn't come out too well lol

Before I can do anything on the upper motor mount, I need to buy a piece of brass tubing to serve as a conduit -- the pieces I have all are too large in diameter.

-Kevin

This brake line can be found at any car parts store. This 3ft section was 2.75

Pre-drill Cr's, fit line through first.....much easier than after glued on tube.

Bring end of tube up close to retainer for easier fishing of match/motor lighter wires.

100_4036.jpg

100_4328.jpg

100_4368.jpg

100_4370.jpg

This brake line can be found at any car parts store. This 3ft section was 2.75

Pre-drill Cr's, fit line through first.....much easier than after glued on tube.

Bring end of tube up close to retainer for easier fishing of match/motor lighter wires.

Yep, that's why I haven't started up the upper motor mount, yet -- I haven't picked up a tube.

-Kevin

I much prefer the brake line to the copper tubing, I've used both before and the brake line is much better. At any rate, if you use the brake line make sure you attach it to the side of the airframe, because as is its a pain to get the igniter wire up the tube as it is, and it gets bent and pulled by the shock cord if you aren't careful. Oh and the best thing I have found for wiring in the conduit is CAT5e wire twisted tight in a drill

Two motor mounts, almost ready to install.

The upper stage mount needs some epoxy on the underside of centering rings, as well as more on the Kevlar (the Kevlar is there as backup recovery attachment; primary attachment will be to the top of the motor).

IMG_1186.jpg

-Kevin

Kevin,

Before you get too far. Check the brake line and make sure 2 sets of e match wires run through easily. I have seen struggles on the field prepping with thin tubing. I used a 1/4'' carbon tube and have plenty of room. Brake line inside diameters may vary. Just better to find out now if you know what I mean.

Before you get too far. Check the brake line and make sure 2 sets of e match wires run through easily. I have seen struggles on the field prepping with thin tubing. I used a 1/4'' carbon tube and have plenty of room. Brake line inside diameters may vary. Just better to find out now if you know what I mean.

Good point, and thanks! I've got some shooters wire handy (if anything, it's a bit thicker). If two sets go through, I'm good. If not, I'll pop that puppy out, and put it something a bit bigger.

You're not completely quackers, despite what some people say... :)

-Kevin

I thought the brake line looked a bit snug, and this just pushed it over the edge. I whacked it with a hammer, popped it loose, then drilled some bigger holes. There's now a 3/16" brass tube in there, instead.

-Kevin

So, a bit more (slow!) progress.

The first motor mount has been slipped into place, and I've begun the process of epoxying fins on.

I started by applying 5 minute epoxy to the root of each fin, then whacked them into place with a mallet (yeah, they're that snug). First set of fillets have been injected -- AeroPoxy, with just a small pinch of CF.

IMG_1191.jpg

I'm in the midwest, so warm weather 'tis but a dream, so I need to run the space heater to keep the room warm enough for epoxy to cure in this lifetime. The plastic tray is there to catch any epoxy that finds a small opening to slip through....and trust me, it is.

-Kevin

Back