J7M1 Shinden Scratch Build Rocket Plane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P9150009.jpgP9150010.jpgP9150011.jpgP9150012.jpg

Flew the Shinden today on an F24-7 cut down to about a 4 which turned out to be more like five but it worked. It flew nice and straight, no spin or going airplane, the delay was a bit late but no damage. It needed every bit of power from the F24 after I had rebalanced and added more noseweight for the heavier motor. The CG at the pilot's seat worked. Thanks to everyone who stayed later at the launch and acted as my crew in case of disaster.

Now that the Shinden has proven the concept it might be time for a XP 55 Ascender, or a XP 56 Black Bullet, or maybe a Mig 8, a SAI Ambrosini SS4, or the lovely little Miles M-35 Libellula.

:wave:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:cheers:

Ol' DaddyIsABar still has a few tricks up his sleeve. Well done!

Thanks! But it takes more than tricks and BS to get RSO clearance, only rocket science will do and I am a bit short on that. But the wind was almost calm and the high end rockets were coming out. There was a Centrui Space 1999 Eagle and an Estes Mercury Atlas that went up real purdy like. After the successful Shinden flight I had just barley enough street cred to fly the Blackburn Triplane and fortunately that went well too.

Flew the Shinden for the second time this weekend at COSROCS. Cut the F 24-7 down to about a 4. Out of trusty copperheads so I burned out a friend’s aggressive homemade igniter, then tried 2 Pro Series twisted together, they just fried. Fortunately one of the COSROCS members was nice enough to give me one of his hot igniters and Wham! Off she went. Straight up, arced over with the wind, gave out a whistle so I knew those shrouds giving some drag, started down . . . any time now Xacto hacked delay... then poof, out came the chute and all was well. Only damage was a snapped prop fin on landing, about a 5 second fix with CA.

Fantastic! That has always been one of my favorite aircraft. Very futuristic looking, especially for 1945. You did an excellent job turning her into a great looking rocket. Well Done!

Andrew

real pretty bird you have there. great design and paint job. and to top it all off - it flew and survived. Well done, sir. Well done indeed.

That is my daughter's dog, she is a small Shih Tzu, the runt of the litter. Being a dog of Chinese royalty she did not want to give up her spot on the bed just to photograph a crappy Imperial Japanese fighter plane, so she gave me the evil eye. This is a 2.6" tube so to get it in some proportion the final product gets large even on a small aircraft like the Shinden.

ahh...that makes sense...you can detect an air of royalty there...I can understand why she would not be amused with any attempt to challenge her territorial claim to that spot on the bed...

That is my daughter's dog, she is a small Shih Tzu, the runt of the litter. Being a dog of Chinese royalty she did not want to give up her spot on the bed just to photograph a crappy Imperial Japanese fighter plane, so she gave me the evil eye. This is a 2.6" tube so to get it in some proportion the final product gets large even on a small aircraft like the Shinden.

ahh...that makes sense...you can detect an air of royalty there...I can understand why she would not be amused with any attempt to challenge her territorial claim to that spot on the bed...

The Chinese and Japanese have never got along when it comes to territorial issues. She might like a P 40 “Tiger” or a P 51 “Cadillac of the Sky” better.

Nice rocket plane. Great job!

Any chance of getting some plans/parts list for a clone, if you want to share?

#3 post has a Sunward rocket jetfighter. Which one is it? Got more pics?

Last edited:
I agree....I think the P-40 Flying Tiger would probably be a favorite of hers....maybe even just print out a picture of Claire Chenault for her

The Chinese and Japanese have never got along when it comes to territorial issues. She might like a P 40 “Tiger” or a P 51 “Cadillac of the Sky” better.

Nice rocket plane. Great job!

Any chance of getting some plans/parts list for a clone, if you want to share?

#3 post has a Sunward rocket jetfighter. Which one is it? Got more pics?

I don't have any plans on the Shinden, I just hacked it out. If I enter it into a Flis DOM contest I will make up some usable shroud patterns and wing/prop templates. Otherwise it is just TLP parts, balsa, card stock, label paper and a standard nose cone.

The Sunward fighter is the Desert Fox with Bi Centennial Marine F 4 decals that were in the sale bin at the hobby store. I posted a photo of them a long time ago - 2009/2010 on the Forum and will have to look it up. Always build your Sunward fighters 24mm with a modicum of nose weight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back