You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of that stuff is pretty familiar. I haven't seen any figures showing that kids asking strangers for help is actually more dangerous than it used to be. Certainly, kids are supposed to be more scared of doing so. And I think any incidents are more likely to be reported and publicized.

As a kid, when I heard the siren for the volunteer fire department, I couldn't help thinking that it might really be a warning of a nuclear attack.

Reading about the Tripods in Boy’s Life magazine.
The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher, iirc the Boys Life excerpts were from the City of Gold and Lead the second book. I enjoyed reading them in both the magazine and the books themselves, need to go back and read them as a adult.

And you returned those glass bottles for a refund so they could be washed, sanitized and reused or recycled since they were the right type of glass to be 100% recyclable.
When I was going to school, some people said that only another Coke bottle could break another returnable Coke bottle of the sort we got from the vending machine. It was almost true. Juggling the bottles was possible, but not particularly safe. We had an ancient phone, maybe Bakelite, that could withstand a real pounding, even from a Coke bottle.

Back