Wildman Jr. Main Parachute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so bear with me. I'm currently building my first high power rocket for my L1 cert. It is a Wildman Jr. kit. Wildman recommends a 30 inch Recon Recovery parachute, which is rated up to a 4 pound rocket. My final weight is just over 4 pounds, so would it be better to size up to 40 inches and have a much slower descent rate, or hang out at the top end of the 30 inch threshold, and have a slightly hot descent rate? I'm launching in a somewhat sandy desert, but I also want the ability to launch at harder packed launch sites in the future. Thanks for any tips/advice!
-Dan

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so bear with me. I'm currently building my first high power rocket for my L1 cert. It is a Wildman Jr. kit. Wildman recommends a 30 inch Recon Recovery parachute, which is rated up to a 4 pound rocket. My final weight is just over 4 pounds, so would it be better to size up to 40 inches and have a much slower descent rate, or hang out at the top end of the 30 inch threshold, and have a slightly hot descent rate? I'm launching in a somewhat sandy desert, but I also want the ability to launch at harder packed launch sites in the future. Thanks for any tips/advice!
-Dan
I would use the 30". It will work fine for you.

Hi all,
-Dan
In general, I agree with @crossfire Something to keep in mind though is where you fly. If you’re at 5k feet, or if fly in an area with hard surfaces, you might need more or chute to suit your conditions. I’ve started using JLCR’s and have upsized several of my chutes so that I land slower and hopefully break less fins. I have no personal experience with the recon chute, but I’ve heard good things about them. You kind of need to fly it and see how the decent rate is with your rocket and motor combo. Several of the new altimeters will record descent rate to validate assumptions and published data.

In general, I agree with @crossfire Something to keep in mind though is where you fly. If you’re at 5k feet, or if fly in an area with hard surfaces, you might need more or chute to suit your conditions. I’ve started using JLCR’s and have upsized several of my chutes so that I land slower and hopefully break less fins. I have no personal experience with the recon chute, but I’ve heard good things about them. You kind of need to fly it and see how the decent rate is with your rocket and motor combo. Several of the new altimeters will record descent rate to validate assumptions and published data.
Thanks. I think I might go with the 30 inch for right now, just because my home field is pretty soft, and in the future, I'll be flying it dual deploy, and the more I think about it, the 30 inch main + drogue should cover it. Like you said though, I'll need to do some testing and data review. I'm planning on buying a fluctus computer from Wildman, and I think it tracks that.

Yea you won’t be able to fit any recon chute bigger than 30” I bet. A light weight top flight or something would prob fit. For reference, my Darkstar Jr is 58oz without motor. I flew it it with an I357 for a fully dressed weight of 70oz and with a 30” recon descent was 21fps. I have to use all my packing skills to make that fit.

It aims well with a 30” diameter and Cd of 1.55 if you wanna check in open rocket.

Hi all,
-Dan
How far above sea level do you fly at? If your several thousand feet ASL you might up the chute. Of not run it. I've dropped similar rockets on a 24 inch chute just fine. Build it tough.

How far above sea level do you fly at? If your several thousand feet ASL you might up the chute. Of not run it. I've dropped similar rockets on a 24 inch chute just fine. Build it tough.
I'm in Utah. I think our field is at ~4k ft. With what everyone is saying though, I'm probably going to go with the 30 inch and then switch it up if it's not enough. I built my fins to be fairly bomb proof with internal epoxy rivets and solid fillets, so I'm not too concerned with dropping it too fast on this first flight with an h100w and no electronics.

Back