What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decals. Then Decals. Then more Decals.
(I'm finishing up an Estes Black Brant II and an Estes Bullpup.)
More decals tomorrow.

Test flights on rocket glider. If you can call them flights. No damage, but far too little thrust. At least my igniters worked well. Maybe 2 or 3 seconds of powered climb.

Managed to get on the talkback radio breakfast show this morning. They wanted to talk to people about the best photo that they had on their phones and why it was there. I sent in my pic of the full-scale V2 we built and flew back in 2015. They thought the photo was "extraordianry". I briefly answered questions about fuel used and stated it was done as a celebration of man's first object into space.
DSC00354.JPG

Finished up an original Estes Mini Bertha and a Vanderbeek clone of the Pro Series II Sahara. Sahara got Stickershock vinyl. Remembered to add a 1/4" lug to my PML Bull Puppy 2.1 just before I started painting it.

Attachments

• Estes Mini Bertha.jpg
    Estes Mini Bertha.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Estes Sahara.jpg
    Estes Sahara.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was looking at what rockets I was going to fly Saturday. I had some in mind. I looked at the forecast for our launch site and was deflated. 10 to 20 mph wind. That means gusts 25 to 30. I picked three all under 1000'. And another at 1150'. I'm going to take a DD that will go to 1700' incase the weatherman is wrong. We have had the worst luck this year. Our three day Springfest was washed out. The dry lake was a real lake. The wind this year has been bad. It would be nice to catch a break. This is my last chance to fly until September. In June I'll be in Oregon for our annual golf tournament. This is my 30th year. Only missed one and nobody played because of Covid. We don't fly in July or August because it's to hot. I guess I'll be flying at home.

Test flights on rocket glider. If you can call them flights. No damage, but far too little thrust. At least my igniters worked well. Maybe 2 or 3 seconds of powered climb.

Are you making your own motors that you are not getting the proper thrust? 2-3 seconds of powered climb is a lot. I can remember "Rapier" motors for gliders giving that but Estes/Quest motors do not, unless it is an old Quest D5 or AeroTech RC motor reloads.

To reply on a question you asked days ago, yes many home made "starters" do not last well or long. Sealing them well is the secret.

Some commercial made "starters" do not last long either, but longer then most home made ones, mostly.

Finished up an original Estes Mini Bertha and a Vanderbeek clone of the Pro Series II Sahara. Sahara got Stickershock vinyl. Remembered to add a 1/4: lub to my PML Bull Puppy 2.1 just before I started painting it.

Hi Jeff, that Sahara is one of the PSIIs I have never had. The E2X Pink one is the other.

It sorta looks like a Argent with different fins and tube lengths ?

I was looking at what rockets I was going to fly Saturday. I had some in mind. I looked at the forecast for our launch site and was deflated. 10 to 20 mph wind. That means gusts 25 to 30. I picked three all under 1000'. And another at 1150'. I'm going to take a DD that will go to 1700' incase the weatherman is wrong. We have had the worst luck this year. Our three day Springfest was washed out. The dry lake was a real lake. The wind this year has been bad. It would be nice to catch a break. This is my last chance to fly until September. In June I'll be in Oregon for our annual golf tournament. This is my 30th year. Only missed one and nobody played because of Covid. We don't fly in July or August because it's to hot. I guess I'll be flying at home.

I've been to Jean Dry Lake a few times. The last time it was the weekend I went with Bill. The weather was in California and moving north. But one day we returned to Vegas the Streets had water running down them draining into the ducts.

I was shocked, Bill said it does this from time to time.

On the Friday at Octoberfest I flew a light built Estes Partison PSII 2.5" on an I205 to a mile POP at the top and we got in Bill's van and drove to it. Flew it again on Saturday on the I205 again as folks that came in for the weekend did not believe it. [Yes no outside fillets and body tubes friction fit for shipping take down]

Last edited:
Yesterday I built four 76mm EX motors, hoping that the NCR launch two weeks from now will go. Pawnee National Grasslands is an awesome launch area when it's green. Today I have six 54mm motors to build.

Took all day, but I managed to get all the remaining 54mm Ex motors built today. Started off pretty slow with the smaller motors being difficult, had to cut down grains and peel some of the casting tubes to fit. When I got to the 54/2550 loads everything started fitting better, even pulled some old phenolic liners out that were already cut to fit the AMW and Kosdon casings.

These are just the motors that I couldn't get built before we took the Stealth toy hauler up to our property in Southern Colorado earlier this month:

2024-05-16 NCR Ex motors.jpg

NCR's "Mile High Mayhem" is a three day Tripoli research launch, so we brought a fleet of 17 rockets for Sharon and I to fly. The club is similar to our home club TRA/PHX, with an excellent launch site, and a laid back attitude. Really hoping the weather cooperates.

Details on my Mercury MR4 capsule, details on my ACME Spitfire, and designed, printed and sealed decals fir the Spitfire.

My "Are you nuts?" question that I keep asking myself is, "Should I cut that rectangular window out, glue clear polystyrene on the inside, silver the frame, and then shape a piece of clear polystyrene for the outside pane that was flush with the surface?"
1000004658.jpg
I want to really bad but on the other hand, this is a model  rocket, not a model...

Edited to add the picture! Duh!
Double-edited to ask: "Where did John Pursley get all those marvelous details for his museum-quality Mercury-Redstone builds? At least some decals for the LES tower?

Last edited:
Are you making your own motors that you are not getting the proper thrust? 2-3 seconds of powered climb is a lot. I can remember "Rapier" motors for gliders giving that but Estes/Quest motors do not, unless it is an old Quest D5 or AeroTech RC motor reloads.

To reply on a question you asked days ago, yes many home made "starters" do not last well or long. Sealing them well is the secret.

Some commercial made "starters" do not last long either, but longer then most home made ones, mostly.
I'm making the fuel for an old Jetex motor. The powered climb was NOT vertical. I doubt the thrust during that time was more than, say, 1/3 the weight of the whole thing. Rapiers were designed, I think, to take the place of Jetex and probably have similar performance.

I was keeping my igniters in a bag with dessicant.

I'm making the fuel for an old Jetex motor. The powered climb was NOT vertical. I doubt the thrust during that time was more than, say, 1/3 the weight of the whole thing. Rapiers were designed, I think, to take the place of Jetex and probably have similar performance.

I was keeping my igniters in a bag with dessicant.

Yes Rapiers are a Jetex replacement. Aerotech R/C motors are not vertical climb. The AT glider was launch at about a 45 degree angle. Most R/C rocket gliders in competition are also with rail guides over/under the wings. Are you using such a launcher?

I bought a whole "kit" of the AT reloads and the 2 cases for them. Never got to use them however and of course not able to ship them for sale. I still have one green box of each of the 3 Rapier motor sizes as well.

Yes Rapiers are a Jetex replacement. Aerotech R/C motors are not vertical climb. The AT glider was launch at about a 45 degree angle. Most R/C rocket gliders in competition are also with rail guides over/under the wings. Are you using such a launcher?

I bought a whole "kit" of the AT reloads and the 2 cases for them. Never got to use them however and of course not able to ship them for sale. I still have one green box of each of the 3 Rapier motor sizes as well.
This one is free flight. I just give it a little toss to launch it. I don't think I've heard of Aerotech R/C motors before.

This one is free flight. I just give it a little toss to launch it. I don't think I've heard of Aerotech R/C motors before.
Aerotech has a specific case for RC rocket motors the RMS 24 R/C (24/20-40) Hobbyline case and the RMS 32 R/C ( 32/60-100). I know @burkefj flies the 24 R/C a fair amount, but as for the status of the 32 RC case and loads I have no idea.

Aerotech has a specific case for RC rocket motors the RMS 24 R/C (24/20-40) Hobbyline case and the RMS 32 R/C ( 32/60-100). I know @burkefj flies the 24 R/C a fair amount, but as for the status of the 32 RC case and loads I have no idea.
There's also the d2.3 in the 18/20 case using either a stopped-up regular ( 910043E ) or plugged ( 910044A ) forward.

There's also the d2.3 in the 18/20 case using either a stopped-up regular ( 910043E ) or plugged ( 910044A ) forward.
correct, but that was a regular RMS case not a specific RC case for the most part. According to BMS's website the D2.3 and all the 32mm RC stuff has been discontinued and zero is in stock, and I dont remember seeing them on the "seasonal" order form for Aerotech, of course I wasnt looking for them either.

Last edited:
correct, but that was a regular RMS case not a specific RC case for the most part. According to BMS's website the D2.3 and all the 32mm RC stuff has been discontinued and zero is in stock, and I dont remember seeing them on the "seasonal" order form for Aerotech, of course I wasnt looking for them either.
They're all on the seasonal production pages (32mm case is on page 3).

They're all on the seasonal production pages (32mm case is on page 3).
Its good that the reloads are still "available" sort of, even if they really aren't, my guess is that very few of the D2.3 and even fewer of the 32mm RC motors get ordered. Personally I have never seen a 18mm or 32mm RC motor flown at launch in the last 7 or 8 years that I am aware of and one of the most prolific glider fliers in the hobby is a member and frequent flier at our club Frank Burke, his rockets are all 24mm RC or 29mm low thrust like the H13.

Its good that the reloads are still "available" sort of, even if they really aren't, my guess is that very few of the D2.3 and even fewer of the 32mm RC motors get ordered. Personally I have never seen a 18mm or 32mm RC motor flown at launch in the last 7 or 8 years that I am aware of and one of the most prolific glider fliers in the hobby is a member and frequent flier at our club Frank Burke, his rockets are all 24mm RC or 29mm low thrust like the H13.
Agreed. I'm glad they're still around as options though, even if they require a lot of lead time and planning ahead.

I bought some D2.3s and the sealed closure this year, just in case I get into R/C in the next year or two.

Back