Starlight Mini: Anyone here used this flight computer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, particularly at that price point.

Probably not behind the times much as the documentation says "current as of April 10, 2024" so it was just updated Wednesday.

I wonder which way he chose for the polarity on the power socket (see another thread here about that...)

added: in reading the documentation I am not impressed with the pressure spike filtering for the altitude calculation...just a running average of five samples (at what rate, I wonder). I expect some deployment/ejection-related events are going to overwhelm that approach.

Last edited:
If figured it was new, but I know products can come out that I don't learn about until much later.

It's no FS Mini (seems to lack Bluetooth and it's bigger), but like you said, at that price point, it seems like an attractive option.

Interesting, particularly at that price point.

Probably not behind the times much as the documentation says "current as of April 10, 2024" so it was just updated Wednesday.

I wonder which way he chose for the polarity on the power socket (see another thread here about that...)
Backwards from rocketry product standard, based on the photos.
added: in reading the documentation I am not impressed with the pressure spike filtering for the altitude calculation...just a running average of five samples (at what rate, I wonder). I expect some deployment/ejection-related events are going to overwhelm that approach.
Looking at the manual, IMO he's got a lot of work to do. His 1.5G liftoff detection will cause problems, as will the lack of any feedback about whether it was powered on and ready for launch, other than an LED.

Backwards from rocketry product standard, based on the photos.
Well, that will work for me as my stuff is "radio control standard" including my Eggtimer IONs.

Looking at the manual, IMO he's got a lot of work to do. His 1.5G liftoff detection will cause problems, as will the lack of any feedback about whether it was powered on and ready for launch, other than an LED.
No kidding.....I really don't have a deep understanding of what's required (I'm more of a user than a designer of such things), but it is clear this is a beta (maybe alpha) test product, at least on the software/firmware side, being released to market likely too early.

Last edited:
I also saw that this only measures up to +/- 16G of acceleration. Probably not an issue for people like me, who focus on LPR flights.

Just learned about this today (maybe I'm behind the times). Curious as to whether anyone here has used it:

https://circuitwizardry.com/starlight-mini/
The creator has posted a lot about the larger Starlight board on the r/rocketry subreddit. I've been less than impressed, and would not trust this board until it's been extensively flight proven. It does seem like he's included software on the mini, which is a step up from his previous effort.

I'm guessing anything-but-gentle handling before lift off could cause it to prematurely conclude a launch has occured.
Seems like it shouldn't be turned on until it's on the rail. OTOH, is it an instantaneous 1.5g? If 0.3 seconds was required, it would have to be going at over 14 feet per second and would have moved 21 feet. Assuming it wasn't moving at the beginning.

I was wondering about Adrian's comment about the 1.5Gs and was trying to find in my emails if John Beans has ever told me what the launch detection threshold is for Altimeter Two/Three, but so far I haven't found it. Their documentation cautions against rough handling before launch and I've seen at least one case where a tARC team this year had an anomalous launch detect due to (apparently) rough handling loading the rocket on the pad.

The creator has posted a lot about the larger Starlight board on the r/rocketry subreddit. I've been less than impressed, and would not trust this board until it's been extensively flight proven. It does seem like he's included software on the mini, which is a step up from his previous effort.
That’s the part I like, python is a easy language to learn and has plenty of libraries so it’d be a pretty quick process to set up for more complicated projects like TVC or other computer control systems.

Ps it’s the only one I Know of that let’s you script it.

I get the impression that users are encouraged (or expected) to modify the software as they see fit. So, for example, that 1.5g detection parameter could be adjusted by the user.

That’s the part I like, python is a easy language to learn and has plenty of libraries so it’d be a pretty quick process to set up for more complicated projects like TVC or other computer control systems.

Ps it’s the only one I Know of that let’s you script it.
As I told the builder on reddit, it's fine if you ship a flight computer that the end user can run their own code on. But he put the original Starlight on sale with no code whatsoever, so you needed to write your own code to use the thing.

As I told the builder on reddit, it's fine if you ship a flight computer that the end user can run their own code on. But he put the original Starlight on sale with no code whatsoever, so you needed to write your own code to use the thing.
I see how that puts him in a pretty small market but I don’t see how it’s different than @cerving selling computers that require you to solder.

Hi BEC; "Well, that will work for me as my stuff is "radio control standard" including my Eggtimer IONs."

This is what gets me, why did the Rocketry stuff do the polarity backwards from the already in place RC standard? Rocketry and Aviation are in the same Genre.

Last edited:
I see how that puts him in a pretty small market but I don’t see how it’s different than @cerving selling computers that require you to solder.
I think "Anyone who's serious about writing software should do their own hardware" applies here. In my experience, the effort involved in learning how to solder (and design boards with the types of chips we fly) was small compared to the effort involved in properly writing firmware with the typical modern features we use for rocketry. I can't imagine going through that kind of effort on someone else's board (especially with the questionable sensor choices being talked about above).

In my experience, the effort involved in learning how to solder (and design boards with the types of chips we fly) was small compared to the effort involved in properly writing firmware with the typical modern features we use for rocketry.
That's my impression as well, both in the model rocketry hobby, as well as many other engineering/tech applications.

Signal processing is a perfect example of this, especially within the military context of electronic warfare and sonar. The juice is in the software/code, not the hardware.

Hi BEC; "Well, that will work for me as my stuff is "radio control standard" including my Eggtimer IONs."

This is what gets me, why did the Rocketry stuff do the polarity backwards from the already in place RC standard? Rocketry and Aviation are in the same Genre.
Art, I have no idea why. I just know that Arduino-based stuff (and Altus Metrum's devices) use the opposite polarity on that particular JST plug as stuff sold into the RC market. I also don't have any idea how large a market for non-RC there is for small li-poly cells/batteries that would use that plug.

Even in rocketry there is one odd use of this JST plug family: The Adrel altimeters (used in FAI and NAR competitions) use a three pin version, and leave the middle pin open.

<thread drift>In the early days of lithium batteries in electric-powered RC airplanes, right after the need to balance packs became clear, there was one battery maker (CommonSense RC) who used the same balance connector as most (but not all) of the others, but had the polarity reversed relative to the others. Let's just say I got really good at making adapters and trying to label them so to be able to handle at least five different balance connector types with my favored chargers.

And of course there was a plethora of power connectors for electric RC ranging from cheap industrial connectors (Molex-based or similar) through Anderson Powerpoles and those lovely but pricey connectors made by Astro Flight, and then bullet connectors of various sizes and now XT-30/60/90 plugs. </thread drift>

I think "Anyone who's serious about writing software should do their own hardware" applies here. In my experience, the effort involved in learning how to solder (and design boards with the types of chips we fly) was small compared to the effort involved in properly writing firmware with the typical modern features we use for rocketry. I can't imagine going through that kind of effort on someone else's board (especially with the questionable sensor choices being talked about above).
Indeed. I could likely never write the software, but I can put together Eggfinder devices.

Looking at the Python code, the latest firmware has a 100Hz limit mentioned in the comments. Comparing it to my DIY RP2040 flight computer with an ICM-20649 IMU, I record IMU data at 800Hz and BMP390 data at 100Hz. There is significant room for firmware speed improvements, if you want to write your own code.

According to his site he is a 16 year old attending a vocational high school in MA, see https://circuitwizardry.com/about/ . Obviously there are some limitations to the board and code which would limit it to lower powered rockets and folks who would want to tinker with the code. That being said this level of effort, for someone who is that age and attending school full time, is very impressive.

Back