Show us your Saucers, Pyramids, UFO's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have that one on my build pile, Jim. :eek:

I also love my Applewhite 13mm Stealth, perfect for all those A10-PTs I got for $1/pack.

Then there's that whacky Frick & Frack thing I have...

does a lampshade count, its a night flyer, and flies great on J135!!

ive also been knowto fly a traffic cone or two..

0607081752.jpg

Last edited:
WOW
I love all these WOP vechicles, hope to see more!
bowls, cups, hey wheres the pizza boxes?:)

and the scale downs are great( LIS)

No box, just pizza.

PieFinished.gif

I've got three. There's no pic of the smallest one which was a free one from Art Applewhite's site. Next is a 10.25" kit with 29mm MMT from Art Applewhite. Sorry no picture of this one. Third one is my own scratch build. It is a 20" diameter 54mm MMT saucer with 20 LED's. I used soft white foam from the local hardware store. I've had to move the batteries farther forward to get the CG more forward. Flew on a J180T and a J315R. The redline at night was awesome. I'll have to fly the blue thunder at night next time.

Mike

paintedsaucer.jpg

saucerlights.jpg

saucerwiring.jpg

I was waiting for you to show there Mike

very nice and we even have Flying Pizza's:)

now where's the flying Night Pizza? hahaha

Last edited:
Several years ago we modified an Estes Snitch--a cluster of 3-24mm mounts, and a 1/8" launch lug fit perfectly in the center of the saucer. We used 3 of the ring-fin tubes from a Quest Razor for the motor mounts and added epoxy to the airframe joints for reinforcement.

snitch_X3_1.jpg

snitch_X3_2.jpg

snitch_X3_3.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the Ested D12's did not light, so the Snitch came off the rod and self-destructed. This was the result...

snitch_X3_4.jpg

George Gassaway was taking pictures of the lift-off, and when the Snitch self-destructed one of the live motors ended up near him but fortunately did not hit him. :eek:

Here he's explaining to Kyle what might have gone wrong.

george_kyle_BRB.jpg

Here's my largest saucer to-date. It is 12" in diameter and has a 38mm mount. It has flown on just about every 38mm AT load from 120Ns to 480Ns.

I call it Psycho-Saucer. Yellow on top with alternating chrome & blue accents, and flourescent orange on the bottom. The boost looks great on a dark, cloudy day as the whole aft end of the saucer seems to 'light' up.

Psycho_saucer.jpg

I love the color of your saucer. Did you say you've flown it on up to 480 Ns? Is that average thrust? I am wondering because I have no idea how much thrust my 54mm saucer can take.

Thanks,
Mike

Photos two of Kaycee's models that he has posted above, from January, 2006 BRB launch.

First - the Clustered Snitch, with only two of the three D12's going, before leaving the rod and going wild.

Second - Kaycee's Psycho-Saucer being prepped by him.

Third - Launch, with an interesting wobble indicated by the exhaust smoke. Also a faint interesting smoke "haze bubble" trapped underneath it as it flies.

Last - descent.

- George Gassaway

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Last edited:
I love the color of your saucer. Did you say you've flown it on up to 480 Ns? Is that average thrust? I am wondering because I have no idea how much thrust my 54mm saucer can take.
Thanks,
Mike

My mistake--360Ns. The largest motor I've flown mine on was an AT I-161W. It's flown many times, but on it's last flight it impaled itself on a corn stalk upon touchdown with damage to the upper shroud. An easy repair, but I haven't got around to it yet.

It would be just as easy to build another one--a larger one :)

Last edited:
Photos two of Kaycee's models that he has posted above, from January, 2006 BRB launch.
First - the Clustered Snitch, with only two of the three D12's going, before leaving the rod and going wild.
Second - Kaycee's Psycho-Saucer being prepped by him.
Third - Launch, with an interesting wobble indicated by the exhaust smoke. Also a faint interesting smoke "haze bubble" trapped underneath it as it flies.
Last - descent.
- George Gassaway

Thanks for the pics, George. The reason for the wobble of the Psycho-Saucer is that I built it with a 1/4 launch lug. That day we launched off a 1/8 pad and it 'hunted' all the way to apogee. Later launches were from a 1/4" rod and it flew straight.

Here's a picture taken the same day as you are prepping your UFO, Snitch, and a foam bowl for a drag race.

George_saucers.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd revive an old thread because I finally got a photo of my 20" Pink Saucer on liftoff! The photos are by Chris Bader. The motor is a K185! This was the second flight on that motor that day.

R O C_9 JAN 10 346c.jpg

R O C_9 JAN 10 347c2.jpg

I have 6mm, 13mm, 18mm, and 24mm saucers; the later two usually fly staged D12/C6 which is a great crowd pleaser.

The pyramid is 29mm and built from 3/16" light ply. It's flown once on a G71-4R. The chute failed to deploy in time, but the pyramid survived without a scratch.

The weird-looking one in my downscale Astron Invader. It's 2/3 the size of the original, but with the same 18mm motor mount. It looks like a UFO, does loops under power, and glides like an eagle.

(Mods: want to move this thread to Odd-rocs? :) )

Saucers Pyramid UFO.jpg

Though I'm not a huge saucer-teer, I do enjoy the few that I have. This is the Fliskits Frick-n-frack, dedicated to the Green Bay Packers / Chicago Bears rivalry. This will fly at some point this coming Sunday, as the Packers once again rise up over the Bears.:cheers:

frick.JPG

frack.JPG

Though I'm not a huge saucer-teer, I do enjoy the few that I have. This is the Fliskits Frick-n-frack, dedicated to the Green Bay Packers / Chicago Bears rivalry. This will fly at some point this coming Sunday, as the Packers once again rise up over the Bears.:cheers:

Bears colors and Packer colors on the same rocket?! Wow. Just. Wow. AND you have the audacity to say PACKERS over the BEARS?!

Those 'r fightin' werds.

Good looking saucer though. And in all seriousness the Packer/Bear game ought to be a real good one.

-Dave

Bears colors and Packer colors on the same rocket?! Wow. Just. Wow. AND you have the audacity to say PACKERS over the BEARS?!

Those 'r fightin' werds.

Good looking saucer though. And in all seriousness the Packer/Bear game ought to be a real good one.

-Dave

It's going to be an interesting contest, for sure. For one, the Bears have nothing to play for. And two, the Packers are a better team. We'll see.

Don't have a good picture, but I put my Applewhite 38 saucer up on an I180 skid - CTI - twice in some pretty fierce winds. The first time they said it wouldn't work and made me put up a rod far, far away, and made it heads up. It landed about 20 feet from the pad. The second time they said I could fly it where ever I wanted :cheers:

Applewhite's stuff is the bomb!

I want a saucer. I'm building (very slowly) a sort of octagon type thing. It might fly on a Loki H100 if I don't want to put it in anything else. If not, probably like a research H or I. Not flown under my name of course.:wink:

Braden

I'm not a fan of either team but I like what you've done with this rocket.

May I copy this post to start a Frik n Frak gallery?

I'm not a fan of either team but I like what you've done with this rocket.

May I copy this post to start a Frik n Frak gallery?

If you think there's enough interest to justify it, by all means!

I have just a few...
  1. King Tut's Pyramid
  2. Snitch
  3. Polecat Aerospace Woket

King Tut on G40-4W .jpg

Snitch.jpg

Woket on J180-T.jpg

Woket on J135-W.jpg

Woket under 60%22 .jpg

I have just a few...
  1. King Tut's Pyramid
  2. Snitch
  3. Polecat Aerospace Woket

You haven't fixed your Frick N' Frack yet? I think you've been working too hard lately and ignoring your rockets...:no:

You haven't fixed your Frick N' Frack yet? I think you've been working too hard lately and ignoring your rockets...:no:

I was saving that for the Frick-n-Frack Gallery, but I guess I can add it here, too. It technically IS a saucer. I have scrounged up the parts to rebuild her, just haven't found the time yet.

Frick-n-Frack.jpg

My Snitch at Cape Coalwood West Virginia from last years vacation.

Dan

Dan's FB 010.jpg

Back