rockoon rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you had the money to put into the camera i would think the gopro hero hd is the best way to go i have seen them used in weather balloon so it can handle the low temperatures and it is lightweight

have any of you used the 2 Meter High Power BeeLine GPS with a 300 miles range this would be great for tracking the rocket

Not for data, just a locator.

Yes, to find the rocket later falconry transmitters on the shroud lines of 'chute. Gps also is a good idea for recovery, but GPS is no good for data on space shots (or even near space shots.) Gotta live with accel. data, video footage, and simulations for now.

I think a likely rocket payload for this project would be: dual redundant timers for dual redundant 5g charges, two small logging accelerometers, two cameras - one facing sideways and one that comes out with the laundry, and redundant devices for recovery like two different kinds of GPS or GPS + falconry. That is quite a load to cram into a 4 inch x 8 inch payload, but it should be possible.

Last edited:
hay New Ocean just asking but why two accelerometers

I would have two of everything just for redundancy...

I think getting to space is great, but I particularly want to recover video, data, and the rocket. Only then will the flight really be a success.

Most important is that you have redundant recovery systems to make sure the darn thing is recovered in the first place, that is how you get the video and data back!

So 2x timers, each going to two large BP charges in surgical tubing. This is more than enough (say 4 or 5 grams per charge) to break the 6x 10 lbs shear pins and fly the nosecone and electronics to the length of 20 feet of 1 inch kevlar strap. (I am worried that the electronics will bounce back and hit the motor, any ideas?) Recovery is via a large streamer, something like a 7 inch x 7.5 foot ballistic grade streamer from top flight. The streamer is attached directly to the nosecone so that if the kevlar fails, the electronics will survive.

Last edited:
i was think of turning the nose cone of the rocket to the electronic bays to save some space and to stop the electronics from bounce i well fill it up with packing peanuts

Last edited:
i was think of turning the nose cone of the rocket to the electronic bays and to stop the electronics from bounce i well fill it up with packing peanuts

You can get expandable foam and then machine it so there is a space just right for the electronics. If they are mounted to a frame they should not move around, please don't include any plastic parts that will fly free and enter the environment!

You can get expandable foam and then machine it so there is a space just right for the electronics. If they are mounted to a frame they should not move around, please don't include any plastic parts that will fly free and enter the environment!

For our 100K attempt that went to 80K, most of the electronics were in the nosecone. Two accelerometers, CO2 ejection with BP (surgical tube) backup, two GPS, one APRS transmitter, and a camera (didn't power up at the pad unfortunately). 4" diameter rocket, 1/2" kevlar, large streamer.

For our 100K attempt that went to 80K, most of the electronics were in the nosecone. Two accelerometers, CO2 ejection with BP (surgical tube) backup, two GPS, one APRS transmitter, and a camera (didn't power up at the pad unfortunately). 4" diameter rocket, 1/2" kevlar, large streamer.

Why a large streamer instead of a small chute? Was it single deploy or did you also have a main chute?

Why a large streamer instead of a small chute? Was it single deploy or did you also have a main chute?

Single deploy streamer. Fast recovery, good visibility, simple, no shred, and easy to pack in very crowded airframe.

RRS used a streamer for their boosted dart, but that recovery was not perfect.

One argument for a 'chute is that the extra hang time will give you a better shot at catching the gps and transmitters while they are still aloft, and you can drive to the rocket before it even lands. Also a 'chute has a better shot at fully deploying once you hit the atmosphere again, where a streamer may get stuck half way in (as with the RRS streamer) and never pull out.

With a 7 ft streamer, the recovery will be supersonic down to 100,000 feet and then gradually drop to 40 fps. at sea level.

Last edited:
Rockoon,

Having been in Tripoli and been a Prefect and TAP member for a very long time and also running the BALLS launch for 13 years I have spoken to quite a few who have wanted to do balloon launches. I witnessed an I to I balloon launch from about 5000' IIRC that was intended as a subscale test for a higher launch.

I wrote comments and some ideas for your project but after rereading the entire thread I see you have no information in your profile and other than you have launched 21 balloons, no other reference to your experience. It makes me nervous to not know who I am talking to and I have a problem with giving information to unknown persons.

If you could give us a few details on yourself it would bring more and more useful information and less conflict.

Mark

back in 2006 i got my level 1 rocket certification with NAR flew about 4 rocket with that certification lost/broke most of them during a move to a new house and after that i got into weather balloon. The rocket that i flew was built by me and one of my friend and it had a rattworks 29mm hybrid motor

Back