Need Help/Advice for my launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateozro

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought my first Rocketry Kit which is a LaserLoc 223 and I bought a I motor 38mm in length. I was thinking about using 3D printed using ABS filament for the fixed mount, centering rings, and possibly Thrust plate. I would like to ask if that is alright to do for a high powered motor and what material should I use for a "I" motors, inner tube?

Thanks

That would be a very substantial change. Odds are pretty good that there will be conflicting opinions on this change...which is a pretty good argument for not making the change. ESPECIALLY if this is to be a certification attempt. (Is this in fact a certification attempt, or are you building and flying just for fun?)

Based on the nature and wording of your questions, I would strongly suggest setting this kit aside for now. The Laserloc is not a good start for anyone who has not built and successfully flown at least several low-power and mid-power kits. I recommend a starter kit from Estes or Quest (AC Supply has some in stock) along with several packs of motors. Also at least one larger, more complex kit such as Big Betty or Big Bertha; preferably two or more such. When you've achieved success with those you should have a better background for more advanced rocketry.

P.S. What specific motor did you purchase? Could you provide a link to that motor on your vendor's web page? It makes a difference.

Last edited:
NO.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

That motor is going to get hot when you fire it. A plastic motor mount will melt and may let go of the motor, allowing it to shoot through the front of the rocket. Cardboard, phenolic, and and fiberglass tubes are standard for motor mounts.

I also second what @prfesser said, that going into high power immediately is not a good idea. Set that rocket and motor aside for now, build a dozen or so low power rockets, and come back to the LaserLoc when you have successfully flown all those low power rockets.

After building some low/mid power stuff, you'll be ready for the LaserLoc. The kit components are there the way they are for a reason. Build some other rockets to learn how rockets work, and what the pieces are, then you'll be ready to look at high power kits like this one and figure out how to do thinks like motor retention.

Hello,
I bought my first Rocketry Kit which is a LaserLoc 223 and I bought a I motor 38mm in length. I was thinking about using 3D printed using ABS filament for the fixed mount, centering rings, and possibly Thrust plate. I would like to ask if that is alright to do for a high powered motor and what material should I use for a "I" motors, inner tube?
The LaserLoc 223 comes complete with a 54mm motor mount and 38 mm motor mount adapter. Why not use those parts? They are superior to the 3D printed mount that you are thinking about. Really - the ABS filament is an inferior substitute for the parts that came with the kit.

What sort of I motor did you get?

If you have not flown any high power rockets before, start out the safe way. Fly decent sized Estes rockets on B then C motors for your first flights. If you like that, get a small 54mm body or 2.6 inch body tube LOC or Aerotech rocket and fly E, F or G motors. If you get the Aetotech HV ARCAS, you can even obtain an L1 certification on a 29mm H motor. From there, hang out at L1 to learn the ropes. You can obtain a LOC/Public Missiles Sudden Rush, fly it single or dual deployment on an I motor all day long!🚀

I built a LaserLOC 223 and used LOC components to reduce MM to 38mm. Simple LOC 38mm motor tube and LOC centering rings then a LOC retainer. Did this for a a couple reasons.
1- Min diameter makes motor retention harder
2- the smallish 54 motor is way too high on East Coast with smaller fields

Even with a 38mm MMT I have only flown 29mm motors and this goes out of sight on mid-H motors (>2000ft).

I fully agree with everyone else that this is NOT a good first rocket.
It also requires tip-to-tip glassing the fins which is an advanced construction method.
It also really needs an Ebay for Dual-deploy.

Back