Mars Lander..is this a thing or what

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieDoakie

Reaction score
Ok...so maybe I'm a little late to the game...but the rubber band spring crap...really...after 50 years the SemRoc kit is still doing the same ol same ol....or is everyone doing a real spring modification....kinda like this....

Attachments

• 20240428_150045.jpg
    20240428_150045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_150708.jpg
    20240428_150708.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_150716.jpg
    20240428_150716.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240428_150725.jpg
    20240428_150725.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 0
Ok...so this is a common mod then...
Mods are awesome but generally uncommon. If you modify kits you have to determine how to counter act the weight you are adding to the hind end and oddrocs like the Mars Lander are the WORST! Then all kinds of nasty rocket science questions arrise. Nose weight for stability? Total weight? Need a bigger motor to lift additional weight? Bigger motor is now heavier, am I back to square one? Are metal srings overkill? Rocket science is hard.

Spring loaded Semroc Mars Landers are rare. I have never seen one. To think of it, launching for nearly twenty years as a BAR, I have only seen a few Mars Landers fly.

I pick up my 1978 built Mars Lander and the dry internal rubber bands are broken. I cry. Put it back on the shelf. Another 70's shelf queen.

Mods are awesome but generally uncommon. If you modify kits you have to determine how to counter act the weight you are adding to the hind end and oddrocs like the Mars Lander are the WORST! Then all kinds of nasty rocket science questions arrise. Nose weight for stability? Total weight? Need a bigger motor to lift additional weight? Bigger motor is now heavier, am I back to square one? Are metal srings overkill? Rocket science is hard.

Spring loaded Semroc Mars Landers are rare. I have never seen one. To think of it, launching for nearly twenty years as a BAR, I have only seen a few Mars Landers fly.

I pick up my 1978 built Mars Lander and the dry internal rubber bands are broken. I cry. Put it back on the shelf. Another 70's shelf queen.
Shoulda used springs! 😂

The Tango Papa versions (I just flew my 1.6x upscale yesterday) had a removable lower plate so you could get to the rubber bands to replace them. Definitely they don't last on the shelf and sometimes break on landing.

I wonder how hard it would be to make the rubber bands replaceable. Or have the springs work through some kind of line so they are higher up.

The only Mars Lander I ever saw fly didn't have enough recovery wadding. It didn't land on its legs. It was actually one of the better efforts from the brothers who built it. I think Estes kept them from blowing themselves up as children. Eventually, they DID blow themselves up, but not with rockets, and not fatally.

Now all I can do is to jump into my hot tub time machine, go back to the 70's and yell at my twelve year old self "Do the Mods!" :)
Someone like you ought to be able to make a Mars Lander clone or relative from scratch, I should think. You could show us all how it should have been done.

Someone like you ought to be able to make a Mars Lander clone or relative from scratch, I should think. You could show us all how it should have been done.
Way too much work. Rather be lazy and buy the Semroc kit with the rubbers. They will last long enough for this old dude.

If the rubbers in the kit are dry, Daddy's gonna buy some of those old fashioned rubbers used on dental braces back in the day. Oh No! That will lead to flashbacks of watching Brady Bunch reruns on the old cathode ray tube color set with the rotary tuner. MARSHA, MARSHA, MARSHA!

Ok...so maybe I'm a little late to the game...but the rubber band spring crap...really...after 50 years the SemRoc kit is still doing the same ol same ol....or is everyone doing a real spring modification....kinda like this....
I think that's a GREAT idea to put the springs in! I have not gotten one of those kits yet but I've thought about it. If I were to make one to actually launch (it's one of those kits that's SOOOO cool, I could buy it, build, and hang it from the ceiling to just admire it like my long discontinued Mini-Mars-Lander which will never be launched, but I might clone it to launch).

I have all sorts of saved springs from click-pens, spray-bottle sprayer tops, etc and I would probably try to use those since they're pretty light.

Thanks for the idea!
-Paul

If I'm not mistaken, s-glass/epoxy springs can accept the most strain energy per gram, though good quality spring steel isn't all THAT far behind. This was from a landing gear leg discussion on a homebuilt airplane forum.

I made little lugs out of sheet polystyrene and very tiny servo screws and springs on the exterior. The rubber inside is not good and I did not wat to carve it open. So I did this mod to mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-05-02-21-16-14-609.jpg
    IMG_2024-05-02-21-16-14-609.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I made little lugs out of sheet polystyrene and very tiny servo screws and springs on the exterior. The rubber inside is not good and I did not wat to carve it open. So I did this mod to mine.
This is probably more efficient than the original design.

Back