Looks like Tesla is now distributing their Cybertrucks--- thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an unfortunate trend in pickups... make the cab bigger and the bed smaller. My Tacoma has a 5' bed, my son just bought one with a 6' bed which is a lot more useful. I looked at a Ford Maverick, and besides the fact that they were unavailable a year ago they had a 4.5' bed... and not much towing capacity.

Once upon a time pickups could haul a 4'x8' sheet in the bad flat, AND be able to close the tailgate. No longer, unless you get a "contractor" version with a single-cab (which pretty much have to be factory ordered).

You see lots of Long Beds in available old trucks for example.

That's an unfortunate trend in pickups... make the cab bigger and the bed smaller. My Tacoma has a 5' bed, my son just bought one with a 6' bed which is a lot more useful. I looked at a Ford Maverick, and besides the fact that they were unavailable a year ago they had a 4.5' bed... and not much towing capacity.

Once upon a time pickups could haul a 4'x8' sheet in the bad flat, AND be able to close the tailgate. No longer, unless you get a "contractor" version with a single-cab (which pretty much have to be factory ordered).
an carpet was an option not standard, now you cant get the rubber flooring on a truck unless its the contractor option or "work truck" version as well. Personally I see more soccer moms driving 1 ton diesel pickups around town as grocery getters that I do people actually putting them to work as trucks. The Tesla "truck" is in the same category to me useless as a truck, can I go to the gravel pit and have a loader dump a yard of rock in the back without something getting bent or broken, put a fifth wheel hitch in it, haul things that dont fit inside the enclosed area of the bed (its the same reason I dont own a bed topper on my truck).

, haul things that dont fit inside the enclosed area of the bed (its the same reason I dont own a bed topper on my truck).

On my Tundra I put a "Back Flip" carbon fiber covered Aluminum bed cover on it. Can support 400 pounds. I can flip it back each panel till it gets to the end and secure it to the "Back Rack" to hold it in place while using the bed.
The truck came with a special Flip Extender that you can put in as needed or leave in flipped back or flip it over the tailgate so you can use the tail gate as the end of the bed without stuff falling off.

I mostly used it flipped toward the cab of the truck as a gate to keep stuff close to the tail gate and not slide towards the cab. Like bags of Food for example.

I did use it to hold a mower half on the tail gate to get it home so I didn't have to empty stuff that was in the middle of the bed.

1715734811304.png

1715734862889.png

curious what makes it a Death Trap anymore then the other EVs that can be one?
When you put a carburetor back on an engine you have to hook up the throttle linkage and hook up the return spring. Then you start the engine to test it by tapping the throttle as you turn the key. If you forgot to hook up the return spring the gas pedal drops to the floor and the carb (and engine) goes wide open. I've done this at least once. If you're quick thinking and realize you still have your hand on the key you can immediately turn it off.

I don't know what the circumstances might be when this could happen while you are driving but if it did you would have to think about what you are doing and then find the key pretty quickly. Some pickups these days (they call them "rig rockets" in my area) would need you to find the key really quick.

On my Tundra I put a "Back Flip" carbon fiber covered Aluminum bed cover on it. Can support 400 pounds. I can flip it back each panel till it gets to the end and secure it to the "Back Rack" to hold it in place while using the bed.
The truck came with a special Flip Extender that you can put in as needed or leave in flipped back or flip it over the tailgate so you can use the tail gate as the end of the bed without stuff falling off.

I mostly used it flipped toward the cab of the truck as a gate to keep stuff close to the tail gate and not slide towards the cab. Like bags of Food for example.

I did use it to hold a mower half on the tail gate to get it home so I didn't have to empty stuff that was in the middle of the bed.

View attachment 645374

View attachment 645375
I said topper...not bed cover, MClarks truck has a topper on it, bed covers are easily removable toppers are not usually requiring two adults or a lift (or if your strong enough some interesting contortions and balancing to walk it off your self....

Those bed extender things Toyota and iirc Nissan offered are IMO great for camping gear and stuff like that but mostly useless for things like sheet-rock, plywood etc.

Consider me a contrarian, as I really like the absurdity of the Cybertruck. The factory here in Austin is cranking them out like sausages, and production is sold out through the end of the year.

I agree with the previous statement that the beastie looks MUCH larger in person.

Last edited:
Can it serve most needs of a truck buyer, absolutely, and it will be years before they can satisfy the demand for version 1.0 of this product. As battery energy density increases, and it is increasing at a significant rate, towing distances will no longer be an issue. As it stands now, I could tow a travel trailer with the Cybertruck to launches and never need a generator. It also can provide backup power for my home in a storm. Can power tools on the job site, etc. It amazes me the hatred for a product that is so obviously revolutionary.
I would love a CT, but it wouldn't serve most needs of a truck buyer. On one hand, it's a miracle of packaging. Instead following the standard "truck" profile and splitting the cargo area into a large front frunk and a short bed, Tesla pushed the cab far forward.
Pro:
  • It's half a foot shorter than an F150 Lightning, with a bed that's half a foot longer.
  • It's a little lower than most half tons, yet has more ground clearance
  • It's the lightest, most aerodynamic electric half ton (more range/less recharge time per mile)
  • It also has the best battery tech, improving that advantage
Con:
  • You can't put things into the bed from the side
  • You can't put on a shell
  • You can't put on a ladder rack
  • You can't put on a rooftop tent
  • Etc.
Price no object, I'd love one, but a CT starts at $100k, and the F150 Lightning starts at $55k. At that price, I could buy an electric F150 daily AND a gas F150 for towing/range, and still have money left over.

I said topper...not bed cover, MClarks truck has a topper on it, bed covers are easily removable toppers are not usually requiring two adults or a lift (or if your strong enough some interesting contortions and balancing to walk it off your self....

Those bed extender things Toyota and iirc Nissan offered are IMO great for camping gear and stuff like that but mostly useless for things like sheet-rock, plywood etc.
The place I buy my toppers is owned by a woman who I have known since we were 10.
The time I needed it removed they pulled it, stored, and reinstalled.
I’m glad I wasn’t mean to her when we were kids.

When you put a carburetor back on an engine you have to hook up the throttle linkage and hook up the return spring. Then you start the engine to test it by tapping the throttle as you turn the key. If you forgot to hook up the return spring the gas pedal drops to the floor and the carb (and engine) goes wide open. I've done this at least once. If you're quick thinking and realize you still have your hand on the key you can immediately turn it off.

I don't know what the circumstances might be when this could happen while you are driving but if it did you would have to think about what you are doing and then find the key pretty quickly. Some pickups these days (they call them "rig rockets" in my area) would need you to find the key really quick.

Cars and Trucks used return springs for how many decades? Many still do on the FI throttle body instead of a Carb.

Oh, OK a truck cap.

The two I had on two other trucks were always an ARE:

https://www.4are.com/

Price no object, I'd love one, but a CT starts at $100k, and the F150 Lightning starts at $55k. At that price, I could buy an electric F150 daily AND a gas F150 for towing/range, and still have money left over.

That is a key talking point. I looked at the Lightning to replace my Fusion and went with a Toyota hybrid car. My wife and I will keep using her F250 for launches and eventually replace it. If chargers become more reliable and available in my area, we might consider an electric, but no way before then.

I would love a CT, but it wouldn't serve most needs of a truck buyer. On one hand, it's a miracle of packaging. Instead following the standard "truck" profile and splitting the cargo area into a large front frunk and a short bed, Tesla pushed the cab far forward.
Pro:
  • It's half a foot shorter than an F150 Lightning, with a bed that's half a foot longer.
  • It's a little lower than most half tons, yet has more ground clearance
  • It's the lightest, most aerodynamic electric half ton (more range/less recharge time per mile)
  • It also has the best battery tech, improving that advantage
Con:
  • You can't put things into the bed from the side
  • You can't put on a shell
  • You can't put on a ladder rack
  • You can't put on a rooftop tent
  • Etc.
Correction, the Cybertruck TOPS at $100k. Tesla always starts a new model selling the highest trim first. Another part of the reason that Tesla makes money on EVs while legacy auto doesn't.

Last edited:
Consider me a contrarian, as I really like the absurdity of the Cybertruck. The factory here in Austin is cranking them out like sausages, and production is sold out through the end of the year.

I agree with the previous statement that the beastie looks MUCH larger in person.
On a hot day, you could probably cook sausages on the hood. It looks like a hamburger griddle on wheels.

I saw one locally for the first time this weekend. Like some have said, it is larger than it looks. If you watch the trends, most truck manufacturers are catering to people that want a truck for the looks, but not for the utility. Also the trim packages are usually in the mid to high range for on the lot vehicles. Our work fleet is about half WT series, 2wd , double cab, with vinyl seats/rubber flooring, and the other half are office trucks, that are 4wd crew cab/short bed/leather or cloth seating and carpeted flooring. Most of the office trucks never see anything beyond pavement, so the 4x4 on those vs 2wd on the work vehicles has always had me boggled.

Yeah, I see people with MB G550's driving around with 22" 35-section tires. Pretty sure that SUV has never been offroad and never will be.

That's too bad. When the G launched in the US market a couple decades ago, I was in a position to tour the Steyr factory in Austria and go for a ride on the durability loop on the side of a mountain that they used in development. They were most impressive vehicles then. If I trusted the interior/luxury stuff, the electronics, and the non-industrial portions of the powertrain to be reliable over the long haul, I'd probably go shop an old one.

Right. They seem to be more status symbols than work horses for most nowadays. Present company excluded, of course.

BUT the Cyber Truck is somewhat bullet proof. So when the poors rise up and go after obvious fat cat targets like me in my Cyber Truck, they won't be able to shoot me. I can make it to my fat cat bunker doing 0-60 in 2.whatever seconds!

BUT the Cyber Truck is somewhat bullet proof. So when the poors rise up and go after obvious fat cat targets like me in my Cyber Truck, they won't be able to shoot me. I can make it to my fat cat bunker doing 0-60 in 2.whatever seconds!

Unless they hit the windows...those have proven to be a weak spot, remember? lol

Unless they hit the windows...those have proven to be a weak spot, remember? lol
No one from Tesla ever said the windows were bulletproof. They are significantly stronger than industry standard glass, but nowhere near bulletproof.

Back