Hobby Lobby Rocket Clearance 2022

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by last week after seeing this thread. Picked up last 2 Luna Bugs ($1.99), 2 Leapers ($5.99), 3 packs A10-0T ($2.49) and Series # Launch Controller ($4.99). Also got some of their non-clearance motors. Wish I had gone sooner and gotten some better kits, but the grandkids will love these. And I've been looking at building a controller for Mid-Power and LPR. That was a steal.

FINALLY!!!
(only took 4+ visits after hearing about this on FB!)
View attachment 524352

Prior to the above appearing in the Clearance section, the only rocketry item there for weeks/months was this crap for $24.99...

View attachment 524355
Found one of the Super Shot starter kits for $7.47 and it wasn't missing anything even though the box was opened and the contents looks shuffled around. I use the included engines anyway and a spare pad/launcher launcher, laun
ch rod etc is nice.

Last edited:
Found one of the Super Shot starter kits for $7.47 and it wasn't missing anything even though the box was opened and the contents looks shuffled around. I use those engines anyway and a spare pad/launcher auncher, etc is nice.
For $7.99, I'd definitely pick it up... great find!
But in my case for opened box with something missing (and what else is missing...I don't trust a HL cashier to be able to tell lol) for only a $5 discount at $24.99? NO THANKS! 😆

Finally popped into a HL while my wife was shopping for groceries (ostensibly to purchase a present for my kids birthday). Found a $7.99 Mean Machine, $5.99 Leeper, and $1.99 Luna Bug (I would have bought 1 or 2 more Mean Machine and a couple of Vapors if they had them).

My kid will get the Leeper and a Mandalorian Razor Crest Model that I also bought (40% off sale on models is a pretty good deal as well). It is only his half birthday so he does not need too much...

Nothing in my local store but 2 Leapers. But I'm getting on a BT-55 kick so I bought a Cherokee E at full price, and a pack of E9 to try in my Executioner and Big Daddy.

Nothing in my local store but 2 Leapers. But I'm getting on a BT-55 kick so I bought a Cherokee E at full price, and a pack of E9 to try in my Executioner and Big Daddy.
The Cherokee E is probably my favorite Rocket ay HL. They had E-9 engines?

The Cherokee E is probably my favorite Rocket ay HL. They had E-9 engines?
Mine had some but not very many. I think they had 2 packs of E9-4 and 3 packs of E9-6.

I think my favorite kit at HL is the Estes Esam because it is very low priced for what you get. IIRC the ESAM was marked $12.99, the Cherokee E was $17.99

Tried a third one in the area today. Nothing in clearance except a half-dozen Leapers. However, picked up some motors as their regular prices are now below AC Supply. Got the last $7.99 pack of D12-5s at that store. Will need to check the one nearest home for those.

They certainly won't be getting more if they're on clearance. There haven't been any Mean Machines in my area H-L stores for months.

It has been a while since Hobby Lobby changed their rocket offerings, and put the older ones on clearance, But they finally did.

What I found in my local HL was
Vapor $5.99
Luna Bug $1.99
Lunar Scout $1.99
Leaper $5.99

As usual, your Hobby Lobby may have more or less of these kits. They were found in the clearance section of the store and not on the Rocketry aisle.

Lots-O Leapers.

View attachment 522563
Hobby lobby must be doing away with model rockets. Looks like the only way u gonna get any rockets or supplies will be online and plus the shipping cost an all that good stuff..I remember back in the day u could buy kits at toys r us and Kmart an Walmart an the local hardware store

Oops here's a picture:

Hobby lobby must be doing away with model rockets. Looks like the only way u gonna get any rockets or supplies will be online and plus the shipping cost an all that good stuff..I remember back in the day u could buy kits at toys r us and Kmart an Walmart an the local hardware store
...it wasn't too long ago that some Target stores carried Estes items. Motors were priced below Estes retail and I grabbed whatever I could at the time.

Back when I was a kid in a mid-sized town in Iowa, the neighborhood Rexall drug store had a small toy aisle which had a section of Estes stuff. IIRC they usually had 10-15 different kits and a few accessories (launch controller, launch pad, etc.). They sold engines (back when they came in a cardboard tube), but they were locked up in a glass case and you had to ask the cashier at the front. That sure seems odd by today's standards. Here in Minneapolis, we still have one LHS left (with two locations), and they stock quite a bit of Estes stuff. They used to stock a lot of the Semroc kits and a few other brands too -- but now it's just Estes.

Online pricing in the US isn't bad, as long as your orders are large enough to get free shipping (if offered).

I hope HL is not doing away with model rockets. That would be sad. The staff at my local HL says the model rocket stuff sells well.

There was a hobby store in my hometown called Ben Franklin that was my first source for Estes kits and motors when I was a kid. Walmart carried motors back then too.
Walmart used to carry rocket stuff. At least in the summer months, here in Colorado. They have not carried it for several years. I stocked up on C6-3 packs. Gotta’ build some rockets heavy enough for a C6-3. Any suggestions? With the short delay, I am thinking something heavy. Maybe a kit designed for 24 mm motor but will fly on C6? Those kits designed to go super high on a D12 motor should fly on a C6, I would think.

Walmart used to carry rocket stuff. At least in the summer months, here in Colorado. They have not carried it for several years. I stocked up on C6-3 packs. Gotta’ build some rockets heavy enough for a C6-3. Any suggestions? With the short delay, I am thinking something heavy. Maybe a kit designed for 24 mm motor but will fly on C6? Those kits designed to go super high on a D12 motor should fly on a C6, I would think.
Something draggy but not very heavy, like a Fat Boy.

There was a hobby store in my hometown called Ben Franklin that was my first source for Estes kits and motors when I was a kid. Walmart carried motors back then too.

Intersting. I remember Ben Fanklin stores 40-50 years ago in small towns in the midwest, but they weren't hobby shops. They were "dime stores" or "five and dimes" akin to Woolworths. Apparently at some point they merged with (or were bought by?) one of their suppliers, and for a while they were a chain comprising both hobby/craft stores and "dime stores."

Intersting. I remember Ben Fanklin stores 40-50 years ago in small towns in the midwest, but they weren't hobby shops. They were "dime stores" or "five and dimes" akin to Woolworths. Apparently at some point they merged with (or were bought by?) one of their suppliers, and for a while they were a chain comprising both hobby/craft stores and "dime stores."
Interesting. The one near my house carried similar stuff to Hobby Lobby, but that was only 25-30 years ago, perhaps after this merger.

My local Hobby Lobby boxed up all of their rocket and model railroad stock and shipped it elsewhere.
Kind of shows what the state of hobby participation is like in my neck of the rolling prairie.

Hobby lobby does these types of purges pretty much annually. I know back in 2019 there was a huge sale and they discounted a ton of stuff including some of the RTF stuff and starter kits. I bought a bunch of Big Daddy's for $4.99. The Riptides, Chiller and Spirit were all $3.99. Baby Bertha's were $3.99 and the Mystic was $9.99.

I've spoken to the folks at the various hobby lobby's around here while searching for these deals and a couple have mentioned that the rockets sell quick so I doubt they are going anywhere.

I'm more interested in what hobby lobby exclusive rockets are coming in the next few months.

Hobby lobby does these types of purges pretty much annually. I know back in 2019 there was a huge sale and they discounted a ton of stuff including some of the RTF stuff and starter kits. I bought a bunch of Big Daddy's for $4.99. The Riptides, Chiller and Spirit were all $3.99. Baby Bertha's were $3.99 and the Mystic was $9.99.

I've spoken to the folks at the various hobby lobby's around here while searching for these deals and a couple have mentioned that the rockets sell quick so I doubt they are going anywhere.

I'm more interested in what hobby lobby exclusive rockets are coming in the next few months.
Agreed.

Although I have to say I've never seen model railroad stuff at any of the Hobby Lobby stores I've ever been in. I think the first H-L store I ever saw was in Santa Fe, NM when I was visiting family there - perhaps 10 years ago?

They've been in the greater Seattle area for some time now — the store nearest me was the second one I think. Now I know of six or so within a reasonable radius (not counting traffic). They've all carried Estes rocket stuff, and generally the inventory (except during these periodic resets) is pretty consistent across them.

WalMart had small amounts of rocket stuff when I first got back in the hobby ~13 years ago, and I remember making the rounds as they were clearancing them, stocking up on motors. With Target it's been on and off and on and now, apparently off again...though they were the only local source for the Rocket Science Starter Set (which was a Target exclusive five years or so ago) and the AstroCam launch set when it was first introduced.

Locally Fred Meyer, which has everything from jewelry to groceries and hardware (and is now owned by Kroger) has had some small Estes stock off and on over the years I've been back in the hobby. Most recently they just carried the more recent variation of the Rocket Science Starter set and no motors separately, but that's gone again now.

There are two HobbyTown USA stores within a half hour (non-rush-hour) from here. Both carry a pretty extensive stock of Estes stuff, all at full list except, oddly enough, for bulk boxes of motors. There is one other smaller hobby shop also within reach which carries a small amount (or did last time I was up there).

But right now the nearest Hobby Lobby is my favored local supplier for motors of the types they carry as it's not that far away and the prices are good compared to most other sources. I would be sad to see them stop carrying rockets. I don't see any signs of that, however.

As for new exclusives, there are no added hooks in the rocket area, which is smaller now than it was, say six months ago, which makes me think that at least for this reset there aren't any new ones coming. I'd like to be wrong. The only remaining exclusives are the Olympus egg lofter and the Epic II two-stage streamer model. The Olympus is unique. The Epic II is a Sterling Silver with different decals. All other parts are identical. It is a nice flying two-stage model, though kind of easy to lose if you get only motors sold at H-L, since they only carry C6-0 boosters.

I actually got into model rocketry when I randomly bought clearance Estes engine packs at a Toys R Us store that was closing. I guess TRU must have sold rockets at some point... I only later bought a Mini Baby Bertha at a Hobby Lobby and the rest is history...

Back when I was a kid in a mid-sized town in Iowa, the neighborhood Rexall drug store had a small toy aisle which had a section of Estes stuff. IIRC they usually had 10-15 different kits and a few accessories (launch controller, launch pad, etc.). They sold engines (back when they came in a cardboard tube), but they were locked up in a glass case and you had to ask the cashier at the front. That sure seems odd by today's standards. Here in Minneapolis, we still have one LHS left (with two locations), and they stock quite a bit of Estes stuff. They used to stock a lot of the Semroc kits and a few other brands too -- but now it's just Estes.

Online pricing in the US isn't bad, as long as your orders are large enough to get free shipping (if offered).
Yeah I know ..I order alot from Estes and I never had pay for shipping so far, even if I just order a few parachutes I still get free shipping and this year they always send a sticker with the order so now my car on the back is full of rocket stickers lol..

Agreed.

Although I have to say I've never seen model railroad stuff at any of the Hobby Lobby stores I've ever been in. I think the first H-L store I ever saw was in Santa Fe, NM when I was visiting family there - perhaps 10 years ago?

They've been in the greater Seattle area for some time now — the store nearest me was the second one I think. Now I know of six or so within a reasonable radius (not counting traffic). They've all carried Estes rocket stuff, and generally the inventory (except during these periodic resets) is pretty consistent across them.

WalMart had small amounts of rocket stuff when I first got back in the hobby ~13 years ago, and I remember making the rounds as they were clearancing them, stocking up on motors. With Target it's been on and off and on and now, apparently off again...though they were the only local source for the Rocket Science Starter Set (which was a Target exclusive five years or so ago) and the AstroCam launch set when it was first introduced.

Locally Fred Meyer, which has everything from jewelry to groceries and hardware (and is now owned by Kroger) has had some small Estes stock off and on over the years I've been back in the hobby. Most recently they just carried the more recent variation of the Rocket Science Starter set and no motors separately, but that's gone again now.

There are two HobbyTown USA stores within a half hour (non-rush-hour) from here. Both carry a pretty extensive stock of Estes stuff, all at full list except, oddly enough, for bulk boxes of motors. There is one other smaller hobby shop also within reach which carries a small amount (or did last time I was up there).

But right now the nearest Hobby Lobby is my favored local supplier for motors of the types they carry as it's not that far away and the prices are good compared to most other sources. I would be sad to see them stop carrying rockets. I don't see any signs of that, however.

As for new exclusives, there are no added hooks in the rocket area, which is smaller now than it was, say six months ago, which makes me think that at least for this reset there aren't any new ones coming. I'd like to be wrong. The only remaining exclusives are the Olympus egg lofter and the Epic II two-stage streamer model. The Olympus is unique. The Epic II is a Sterling Silver with different decals. All other parts are identical. It is a nice flying two-stage model, though kind of easy to lose if you get only motors sold at H-L, since they only carry C6-0 boosters.
Only hobby shop I got is hobby lobby and it's not far but there rocket supplies are very low just a little section on the model car section. So I just order all my rockets and supplies online from Estes & erocket biz..

Back