Hello from CO!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonfickett

Reaction score
Greetings from Littleton CO. I’m recently retired and looking to get back into the hobby and to share it with my 6 year old grandson.
I built many rockets, kits and scratch built while I was growing up, (still have my original flight logs!)
I built maybe 10 more in the early 2000’s, but got too busy with work to keep it up.
Looking forward to building again, and to learning how much the hobby has advanced.

:welcome:to The Forum, grandkids are a perfect excuse to get back into the hobby, especially when you don't have to go to work everyday.

Welcome

Electronics have advanced in leaps and bounds. Estes sells a prebuilt rocket with a keychain video camera that flies on B and C motors. Deployment altimeters can fit in 13mm tubing, and some can connect to your smartphone via BlueTooth for more functionality than can be physically interfaced on a chip of that size. Rockets can also be tracked by GPS. All of this has gotten more affordable too.

Batteries have advanced as well. Compact lithium polymer batteries have become commonplace in controllers and avionics, largely replacing lead-acid and Nickel-metal-hydride rechargeables.

3D printing has also made its presence felt. One presenter at LDRS 40 showed off his 3D printed high-power rocket that was made in only three pieces (I think) and screwed apart for transport.

Lots of cool stuff to try, if you have the imagination and skill for it.

Back