Estes Dings & Dents flash sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite the price stickers saying $2X, those launch kits have a retail of $5X now, so I'm pretty sure retail value would still have been over $150. I understand the old price tags sticking in one's craw, though.
I think most of us define "retail" not at what something goes for on estes.com, but what it goes for on one of the major online retailers, like AC Supply or Amazon.com

I think most of us define "retail" not at what something goes for on estes.com, but what it goes for on one of the major online retailers, like AC Supply or Amazon.com
That makes no sense, especially when you're buying direct from Estes. The numbers you're thinking of might be the street price or some other similar name, but the manufacturer sets the retail price.

If one thought one was getting $250 of Estes retail because AC supply sells (or sold, I guess) at 40% off, the mistake is 100% one's own.

...as someone stated previously, many of us on here already have launch pads and/or don't desire ARF or RTF rockets. Yeah - it was a crapshoot, but that's why it's a mystery box.

That makes no sense, especially when you're buying direct from Estes. The numbers you're thinking of might be the street price or some other similar name, but the manufacturer sets the retail price.

If one thought one was getting $250 of Estes retail because AC supply sells (or sold, I guess) at 40% off, the mistake is 100% one's own.
I put the word "retail" in quotes; I'm not trying to argue semantics.

I put the word "retail" in quotes; I'm not trying to argue semantics.
But the term "retail" is well defined.

I agree that this was a blunder by Estes. But if the total of what was sent achieves $150 based on current MSRP, they at least technically achieved their claimed offering.

"Retail"/MSRP is hardly ever the selling price of anything. It's just a funny money number that goes in a spreadsheet somewhere that all the real prices are calculated from.

"MAP," or Minimum Advertised Pricing policies are enforced with varying degrees of success by many manufacturers, but it does take some effort to manage one's distribution effectively if that is your strategy, and there is still a range of workarounds that some sellers will use.

Then you have Apogee who sells ABOVE MSRP....
If they bought and held stock so they have it when nobody else does, good for them. I might pay it. But I sure as heck won't if I can get it from ACSupply or Hobbylinc.

They do have their own unique products, and I envision being a repeat customer for some of those over future years.

Tire Rack not only has far and away the best website with the most useful information about tires, they also typically provide the best available pricing without dealing with sketchy fly-by-night websites that might act like Composite Warehouse. So I don't see the point of paying over MSRP just to compensate TVM for his contributions to the information space. Would be willing to pay somewhat more, but MSRP is the "do not exceed" level, IMO. Exceeding it when customers can get the same thing from other excellent vendors for far less is kinda weird. I'm not sure why it ever works.

everybody here makes valid points. Technically, Estes can cover their a* by stating that the msrp of any of these packages may be as much as 150.00, even though the package in question has items with price tags on them reflecting far less, is too damaged to sell 'retail,' and those items were likely actually manufactured, sold, and returned BEFORE the recent ridiculous price increase of launch kits.

However, this is not straight shooting, and i expect more of Estes than this mercenary horses*t and rationalization. The rep at Estes implied that the value of my package was greatly increased, and could not be definitively assessed by the inclusion of the shuttle express, which is oop. he didn't mention that it's also poo, because i already knew that.

a reputable company doesn't treat lifelong customers like this, nor do they tell them that "most customers would call that a win." makes me nuts when companies give the car keys to marketing.

You ordered a mystery box, and got a "worse" one than others. That doesn't mean that Estes didn't give you exactly what they described.

You ordered a mystery box, and got a "worse" one than others. That doesn't mean that Estes didn't give you exactly what they described.
Which do you think was Estes’s objective, and what do you think *should have been* their objective:

1) adhere to the letter of their advertising so they are on safe legal ground
2) try to ensure that each mystery box purchaser will be happy or at least reasonably satisfied with the contents

Which do you think was Estes’s objective, and what do you think *should have been* their objective:

1) adhere to the letter of their advertising so they are on safe legal ground
2) try to ensure that each mystery box purchaser will be happy or at least reasonably satisfied with the contents
Fair. I think mystery boxes are dangerous for companies unless they're incredibly generous. Someone is always going to be disappointed.

FWIW, my mystery box had a Shuttle Express, an Astrocam starter set w/motors, and a Riptide starter set without motors.

Those last two will make good door prizes once the season starts at Snow Ranch.

The Shuttle Express? I see a mass drag race of Shuttle Expresses at the National Sport Launch. 😆

FWIW, my mystery box had a Shuttle Express, an Astrocam starter set w/motors, and a Riptide starter set without motors.

The Shuttle Express? I see a mass drag race of Shuttle Expresses at the National Sport Launch. 😆
cool - what swag did you get?

I hope everyone labels their shuttles with their name.

Back