CAD Software Challenge to the CAD Pros out there

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have a challenge to the CAD pros. Who can make a cad or STL file of this? I have challenge my done to make one.

58AE5B51-8910-4021-9FD1-24FDF4C380A1.jpeg

This is relatively straightforward, but I have a few questions:

Do you have any drawings or sketches with dimensions?
What internal features are needed/desired?
Is it a display model or a flying rocket?

I vaguely remember this!

if I recall, it was about 3' tall, and had a 38mm motor mount, and survived the swing test! it was pink foam board all tuned & shaped.. 3/8" or 1/2" plywood fins, and lotsa fiberglass!!

I will further the challenge: :D

To make this in the smallest number of steps / features.. (how small will your 'model tree' be?!)

I will further the challenge: :D

To make this in the smallest number of steps / features.. (how small will your 'model tree' be?!)
I see 10 surfaces in the fins. You'd array that for the full fin set, not sure if that counts as 30 parts or 10. Alternatively, you could make the fins out of three extruded solids stacked together if you count a solid as a single piece. That would be 3 or 9 parts once you arrayed the fins.

I'd make the body tube out a single part--draw a line and then do a body of revolution on it. So that makes 4, 10, 11 or 31 depending on how you count the fins.

That said, if I was actually drawing this I'd like to add a bunch of fillets to dress it up a little. That would drive the part count significantly.

@boatgeek It also depends on what CAD package you have :D I have Creo.. So, some features would be grouped into 1 'feature' then arrayed /patterned. The fin could be drawn in a half, then mirrored [left side / right side], then arrayed..

And, I can do a series of fillets in one pass..

the body tube / shape oud be a revolve, and include the internal volume.. Or 'volumes' if you include the motor mount & CRS..

but that makes me a 'smarty-pants' :D :D

I am curious as to the dims Chuck is after.. and the answers to your questions.. it also reminds me of the URRF 6 rocket you could download..
https://urrf.us/urrf-3d-rocket/
1663700580884.png

@boatgeek It also depends on what CAD package you have :D I have Creo.. So, some features would be grouped into 1 'feature' then arrayed /patterned. The fin could be drawn in a half, then mirrored [left side / right side], then arrayed..

And, I can do a series of fillets in one pass..

the body tube / shape oud be a revolve, and include the internal volume.. Or 'volumes' if you include the motor mount & CRS..

but that makes me a 'smarty-pants' :D :D

I am curious as to the dims Chuck is after.. and the answers to your questions.. it also reminds me of the URRF 6 rocket you could download..
https://urrf.us/urrf-3d-rocket/
View attachment 538363
I use Rhino, so it would all end up as a single polysurface in the end. Calling that one part is kind of cheating, though. :D

Do you have any drawings or sketches with dimensions?
What internal features are needed/desired?
Is it a display model or a flying rocket?
It's a real flying rocket. See my avatar.
It's 21.75" tall
Fins (3) are about 9.5" apart at base
Airframe is about 5" at widest section
As stated in earlier post, it has a 38mm stuffer tube

Here are two STL files, the separate airframe (slotted), and the fin. Note that they are actual size, i.e. big, so you'll have to scale them down in your slicer. 10% is a good starting point. I tried to include a complete model but the file is too large.

Randy

Attachments

• Fin.stl
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Airframe.stl
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Also, here's a STEP file in case anyone wants to play with it.

Randy

Attachments

• Complete.step
    350.5 KB · Views: 0
I started printing it. Then I decided to down scale it a little.

I started modifying it to print. I have the top and bottom ready to go at about 25% size and a 29mm motor mount.

No how do I print those fins? I am thinking about using a resin printer.

No how do I print those fins? I am thinking about using a resin printer.

Yeah, the fins are tough. Maybe print them in two halves and glue them together? At 25% the thin section of each fin half would only be about 0.8mm thick though.

I think if I built a flying model at 25%, I'd use G-10 for the center of the fins and then add printed sections on each side for the thicker part. On the original ship, the thin fin sections are 1/4" thick so at 25% scale, they'd be 1/16". That's perfect for standard 0.062" G-10. The G-10 would greatly increase the fin strength.

Randy

1664895319502.png

Back