Betelgeuse Explosion in 2019

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll just say that stars live for billions of years, and age at that pace. So the last breaths take a couple thousand years.

No still billions just 5 billion not 100 billion. (I made up the numbers but they should be semi accurate)
Boy, never, ever "make up" numbers, lest you look like a fool when you find yourself in front of someone who knows what they are talking about. Get your facts straight before you argue with someone.

Large stars will only last hundreds of millions of years, and very large stars can have ages measured in tens of millions, or even just millions of years. The bigger and brighter the star, the quicker it burns itself out. Betelgeuse is a very large star, and astronomers think it is only around 10 million years old.

The only stars that last 100 billion years are tiny red dwarf stars like Barnard's Star, which are so faint we can't even see them with the naked eye from only 6 light years away.

Most of my astronomy sources give Betelgeuse nova sometime between now and 100,000 years, so relatively short.
Curious: when experts say they "expect" the Betelgeuse nova, are they referring to when people on Earth will see it or when it will occur in the absolute sense?

EDIT: I guess because it's "so close," the difference doesn't really matter.

Boy, never, ever "make up" numbers, lest you look like a fool when you find yourself in front of someone who knows what they are talking about. Get your facts straight before you argue with someone.

Large stars will only last hundreds of millions of years, and very large stars can have ages measured in tens of millions, or even just millions of years. The bigger and brighter the star, the quicker it burns itself out. Betelgeuse is a very large star, and astronomers think it is only around 10 million years old.

The only stars that last 100 billion years are tiny red dwarf stars like Barnard's Star, which are so faint we can't even see them with the naked eye from only 6 light years away.
Hmm can I have a source for that? Since everything I’ve read has said billions not millions. But I’m happy to be corrected!

Edit never mind I stand corrected from the NASA website “all but the largest of stars live for billions of years” I’m sorry for assuming I stated corrected.

It's something I've known for ages, so I don't have a specific source off the top of my head, but I dug this up after a quick search.

https://people.highline.edu/iglozman/classes/astronotes/hr_diagram.htm
I knew the HR diagram but I seems that I have filed the lifetime of a star as “billion“ not “low billion to high million”.

Ps the best thing about looking like a fool when talking to someone who knows what they are talking about is that you remember the correct thing.

Not very large stars.
It’s really weird when you think about how young some stars are. Betelgeuse is only 10 million years old. Eleven million years ago it wasn’t in the night sky. In terms of geologic time that is recent. It is already out of hydrogen and is a red giant. Big stars burn hot and fast.

It’s really weird when you think about how young some stars are. Betelgeuse is only 10 million years old. Eleven million years ago it wasn’t in the night sky. In terms of geologic time that is recent. It is already out of hydrogen and is a red giant. Big stars burn hot and fast.
Some how I think that this guy doesn’t care about that much…
1707308836577.png
My source.

With a radius around 640 times that of the Sun,[14] if it were at the center of our Solar System, its surface would lie beyond the asteroid belt and it would engulf the orbits of Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars. Calculations of Betelgeuse's mass range from slightly under ten to a little over twenty times that of the Sun. For various reasons, its distance has been quite difficult to measure; current best estimates are of the order of 400–600 light-years from the Sun – a comparatively wide uncertainty for a relatively nearby star. Its absolute magnitude is about −6. Less than 10 million years old, Betelgeuse has evolved rapidly because of its large mass and is expected to end its evolution with a supernova explosion, most likely within 100,000 years.
Wikipedia

Ummm, do we know what kind of havoc such an event would wreak on life on this planet?
I read somewhere that it would be negligible.

More likely to affect planet Earth is when the entire solar system crosses the galactic plane. Apparently, the solar system does not orbit around the center of our galaxy in a perfectly flat plane. It bobs up and down as it orbits the galactic center in a regular cycle. Every so often the solar system goes down, crossing the galactic plane as it does so. Then it eventually rises back up, crossng the galactic plane on its way up.

Like a sine wave.

I read a book, I forget what, that says that the crossing of the galactic plane has some affect on the climate on Earth? Ice age cycles maybe? I have to figure out where I read this.

Or maybe it is passing the galaxy’s spiral arms? Memory fades.

Ummm, do we know what kind of havoc such an event would wreak on life on this planet?
Not much, given the distance. It's estimated it will be about as bright as a full moon for a few weeks. If it's up at night, it could make for a rough few weeks for any species that rely on night being really dark, though it shouldn't be too bad since they can handle the full moon.

Back