Back Again. Again.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Caswell

Reaction score
Hiya! I'm a little late in doing an intro. I got into the hobby this Spring and joined the forum shortly thereafter. And I got into the hobby in 1988 and stuck with it through '94, until work interfered. AND I got into the hobby in '71 via my jr. high industrial arts teacher and stuck with it 'til around the time girls became more important. So I'm a BAR-BAR.... like so many others.

I live in Western Mass. and fly with CMASS, along with my wife who've I've corrupted into also worshipping the three-fins-and-a-nosecone (the holy trinity, plus one). I don't have any great itch to up my certification (I did Level One back around '93) and throw almost all my effort into creative low and mid-power subjects. As a long time scifi fan my rocket interests lean that way - and low power let's you get a bit more wild with designs - but I also build sport and scale subjects. I jump around.

I need to use the forum more. It's a REALLY great resource that just wasn't around (at least not in a form like this) during my last stint in the hobby.

--Rob Caswell
NAR 56782

This started life as an Estes Sentinel kit, but I wanted to rework it with an SF theme so I decided to try and make it into the same fleet of ships that the Starship Vega serves. So the mods were making it a 3 instead of four fin model, adding the engine pods, and doing the custom decals.

intro_altair.jpg

This was my first effort in doing my own custom decal sheet. Beyond the markings it's a pretty stock build of the Estes Space Station Atlantis.

intro_atlantis.jpg

This is my BT-55 based upscale of the EAC Firecat, going with an aerial target drone thing for colors.

intro_firecat.jpg

This is my resurrected and reworked MRC Concept II Iron Man. New decals, added corrugated wraps (vacuform) and redesigned the booster pods.

intro_IM2.jpg

Here's the Squirrel Works' Starduster, from the early 60's animated SF show, Space Angel. It was either that or Fireball XL-5 that was my "first favorite TV show. It's a great lil' kit! It comes with decals for the teardrop cockpit windows, but (inspired by the Fantastic Plastic kit) I decided to form 3D ones from scrap balsa. I also made my own decals based, again, on the Fantastic Plastic representation. The kit just includes decals for the windows and logo on the tail.

Few people seem to recognize this kit for what it is, but I don't care. It makes me happy having it!!!

intro_starduster.jpg

My Estes Wolverine clone, using Kevin Cespedes's 3D printed nose (Shapeways), my own decals, and adding a set of ventral fins between the wings. First flight was wonky, so I'm hoping more weight in the nose will help its stability when it flies this weekend.

intro_wolverine.jpg

I've completed 18 builds since jumping back into things this Spring.

--Rob

Rob and his wife have been a great addition to our club Increasing our flight day totals quite nicely.
The innovation in the build designs and finishing rival some of our club's best.
It's also good to find someone else who knows of Space Angel (and likely the other cartoon by the same production company, Clutch Cargo). Loved watching when I was a kid but on recent viewing, a bit creepy.

It's also good to find someone else who knows of Space Angel (and likely the other cartoon by the same production company, Clutch Cargo). Loved watching when I was a kid but on recent viewing, a bit creepy.

WOO-HOO! Way to bring the Space Angel love!!!
Yeah, it's a bit painfully sexist now.... but... but... THE STARDUSTER!!!!!

Here's my three debut flyers for the coming weekend:

- A Bullet Bobby done up in Bullseye Bill colors.
- My first square bird: an N-21 Sky Fighter, with custom decals to add a bit more color.
- An upscale of Estes' original "Flight Line" RTF bird, the Vampire. With a 24mm mount, this is the Vampire-D.

new_9-4-21.jpg

Back