Has anyone had a 24mm motor CATO in the Estes 29mm adapter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Upton

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread I talked about the Saturn Vs new 29mm motor mount.
So there is a new "Bunker Mount" adapter between 24 and 29mm to absorb the force of the CATO?

That got me thinking hours later, could the 24/29 plastic adapter help reduce the damage of an E12 CATO to the main 29mm mount in any rocket?

Has anyone here on TRF had a 24mm CATO in the plastic 29mm adapter? What happened to it?

I reckon you could make an adaptor out of a fiberglass sleeve, if you wanted it to be really beefy. Or maybe peel the ID of a 29mm BP motor to be a close fit on the 24mm. That might help contain a rupture of the case, but wouldn't do much about blowing out the top and/or bottom.

The Estes 24mm CATOs do not, in my experience, split the case open. They blow out the nozzle, the front, or both. So, I don't know how the plastic adapter could help.

Last launch, I had a rocket suffer two CATOs on D12-3s. On the first, it blew out the front, but not the nozzle. The motor was ejected out the back, since it was held in only by a motor hook. There was no damage to the rocket, as the parachute was ejected also. On the second launch, it blew out the nozzle and the front. That sudden impulse out the back from the blown out nozzle crumpled the body tube forward of the fins. The parachute deployed this time too, so the damage was only from the force of the explosion.

So, the only thing I can suggest, to minimize potential damage, is to not use the screw-on retainer, as that would not have allowed the motor to eject out the back during the first event, which possibly helped relieve pressure in the rocket.

Last edited:
Yes. I had a D12 Cato inside the a 29mm adapter. The adapter helped save the lower part of the rocket but the entire upper section of the tube were burn badly and deformed. I was able to cut off the bad part of the tube and replace it. The fins and motor mount was not damaged.

Yes. I had a D12 Cato inside the a 29mm adapter. The adapter helped save the lower part of the rocket but the entire upper section of the tube were burn badly and deformed. I was able to cut off the bad part of the tube and replace it. The fins and motor mount was not damaged.

That is "Interesting".

Back