Working with basswood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motörhead

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd just like to know that if working with basswood, is a sharp hobby knife sufficient for cutting basswood? I've never worked with basswood before and it is my understanding that basswood is a hardwood. If a hobby knife isn't sufficient then maybe someone might care to help point me in the right direction when it comes to tools and techniques alike.

Cheers ...... Pete

Pete:
AS with just about everything, specifices are needed! if your talking about cutting 1/64 to about 3/32" basswood a shape hobby knife does a fantastic job. If you jointing a 1" x 1" or trying to cut 3/16" thick rings.... a #11 isn't the tool for the job.

I'd say in general I use the same tools to cut the same size basswood parts as I do with Balsa or styrene fin materials.
Hope this answers your question.

I'm having the same problems. Very thin basswood can be cut with an x-acto knife, though it is difficult. But if the basswood is thick enough that you can't easily flex it, you'll need power tools. A table saw or circular saw would probably be best, if you're making straight cuts. Unless you have access to fancier stuff like bandsaws and the like. I believe some folks on here use Dremels for cutting it.

I intend to try out a jigsaw on some basswood soon. I suspect that it won't be the best way to cut fins, but it's the only power saw I have. I can alwas sand them down later.

Basswood is much harder to sand than balsa, by the way. But it doesn't "dent" like balsa does. I have lots of dents in balsa fins the shape of my fingers.

I'm eager to try model aircraft plywood when I get the chance. Probably overkill, but I like trying new kinds of materials, especially wood.

One very useful tool for this kind of thing is a razor saw (X-Acto) or an Atlas Snap Saw:

https://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/build_a_layout_.htm
(look about 5/6ths of the way down the page)

I bought a Snap Saw for about $3.50, IIRC, when I was playing with model railroad stuff (they use it mostly for cutting track). I use it regularly for various things in rocket building, including making small straight cuts in basswood. Of course it's not always the best tool, but for the price, you should certainly have one in your box.

I've found razor saws not to be the best tool when cutting basswood. I always have a really hard time starting a cut, and my razor saw slips and cuts where I don't want it to. It's possible I'm just not doing it right.

Originally posted by Orporg
I've found razor saws not to be the best tool when cutting basswood. I always have a really hard time starting a cut, and my razor saw slips and cuts where I don't want it to. It's possible I'm just not doing it right.

Are you using an X-Acto razor saw? Maybe try a Snap Saw instead?

Or if it doesn't work, forget it. :cool:

Up to 1/8" Basswood can be treated the same way you'd cut 3/16" or 1/4" Balsa. Instesd of a #11 in a #1 knive handle, you go up to a #2 or #5 Handle with a SHARPENED and STROPPED #2 or #24 blade. Some folks use single edge razor blades on the thicker stuff or scaples have also proven to work very well on thick tough materials.
Orporg if your having trouble cutting Basswood your going to hate Lite Plywood, where your fighting cross grain cutting regardless of the direction of your cuts as well as at least two layer of dried waterproof glue. It can still be done with a blade but your gonna have to bulk up a bit first;)
As with any woodworking tool, to work well your knifes Must be sharp to work properly and with the least amount of worker fatigue;) Let the knife blade do the work, apply firm but not too much down pressure on the blade as you draw it along your straight edge. This is very ture on all Cross Grain cuts. Make a series of passes instead of trying to muscle your way thru with a single pass or two.
With a little practice you'll be making nice clean straight cuts even on the cross grain passes:) My Scroll saw, band saw and razor saws are reserved for Heavy materials, 1/4" and thicker, plastics and metals. for Model and LMR's fins and such you not need no stinkin saws:D
Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Micromeister
Yea! but both of us are seriously looking at the purchase;) I'm tyring again to get the boss to invest in one...I just don't have room in the basement for it:(

Maybe we could make something out of an old microwave oven John...:eek:

I've stepped up to a cheap harbor freight scroll saw ,and use it alot. I wish I could afford a laser.

I have used an x-acto for up to 1/8" & it worked out fine! Just make sure the balde is sharp. I think its a #11 type. I also use a steel rule for a guide.
techman

We started using a lowend bandsaw (<$100) for all our wood cutting. It has worked great for everything up to 1/4" ply, which is the thickest we use now.

Ply
balsa
basswood
hardwood dowels
motor tubing

It was great investment

A scroll saw with a fine blade will work well with thicker stocks. Just go easy with it. Quite possibly you could mount a jigsaw upside down and use it like one.

the scroll saw takes some getting used to.. no doubt about that

Back