What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter and family took me to Carrabba's for my birthday.
Happy birthday
Happy Birthday GIF by Sesame Street

It's that time of year where my Son and I spend days off at a few amusment parks close to home. Today was opening day at Cedar Point, so we drove over to Northern Ohio. We didn't want to wait 2-3 hours to ride the reimagined Top Thrill 2 which opened to the public today, but we did have fun riding other roller coasters. He got his first ride on Maverick and promptly declared it to be the best rollercoaster ever and got in line for a second lap.

PSX_20240505_001228.jpg

PSX_20240505_001313.jpg

It's that time of year where my Son and I spend days off at a few amusment parks close to home. Today was opening day at Cedar Point, so we drove over to Northern Ohio. We didn't want to wait 2-3 hours to ride the reimagined Top Thrill 2 which opened to the public today, but we did have fun riding other roller coasters. He got his first ride on Maverick and promptly declared it to be the best rollercoaster ever and got in line for a second lap.

View attachment 643808

View attachment 643810
We used to go to Cedar Point often. We lived about 50 miles west of Detroit. The first and last rollercoaster I rode was called the Blue Streak IIRC. It was a completely wooden one. This was between 69 and 74. One time we were there I brought a date. She wanted to ride it, so we did. I didn't die and we rode it several more times. Haven't been on a coaster since.

The dead bodies might keep live ones from wanting to hang out?
Maybe. But the eat each other too. Here is today's installment of the cricket story. The battle of The Flower House between me and the crickets continues. Side note. After living in England and seeing a lot of houses that were named. One was Rose Cottage. We have named the three houses that we have owned here. Our first house was on Javelina and that was the Pig house. The second house was on St Bernard Court and that was the Dog house. This house is on Carnation Way and is the Flower house. Our garage is just about air tight. The doors have good seals on all four sides. I used spray foam at any other gaps in an effort to keep scorpions out. But still the crickets are finding a way in. Same thing with the house. Sealed tight. The doors and windows all have tight seal. Both to keep the scorpions out and to keep hot or cold air out. Our electricity bill is astronomical enough. The front doors are never opened. The back door is open some times. Around the storm door it is sealed tight. But the crickets are still finding a way into the house. It's driving me nuts. The 115 degree days can't get here soon enough.

Now that the cat is out of the bag regarding Lab Rat Rocketry’s new owner, I can out with what I have actually been up to for the last few months. My family and I are moving to France this summer. Specifically, the Côte d’Azur region, most likely settling in Grasse, but we plan to rent for at least a year or two while we get the feel for the different towns. That area is basically outdoor activity paradise with the Alps out your back door, Mediterranean out the front door and mild climate year round…yes, please.

We have our visa interviews at the French consulate in Houston next week, and our house goes on the market later this week, so it’s a very busy time. Assuming the French don’t decide they are better without us, our stuff goes in the shipping crate July 1st and we fly on the 9th.

To head off the 4 most popular questions:
1) How is your French? Terrible, but immersion is the fastest way to learn
2) Are you crazy? Obviously
3) How do your kids feel about this? They’re thrilled
4) Is your whole family crazy? Oui

Last edited:
Now that the cat is out of the bag regarding Lab Rat Rocketry’s new owner, I can out with what I have actually been up to for the last few months. My family and I are moving to France this summer. Specifically, the Côte d’Azur region, most likely settling in Grasse, but we plan to rent for at least a year or two while we get the feel for the different towns. That area is basically outdoor activity paradise with the Alps out your back door, Mediterranean out the front door and mild climate year round…yes, please.

We have our visa interviews at the French consulate in Houston next week, and our house goes on the market later this week, so it’s a very busy time. Assuming the French don’t decide they are better without us, our stuff goes in the shipping crate July 1st and we fly on the 9th.

To head off the 4 most popular questions:
1) How is your French? Terrible, but immersion is the fastest way to learn
2) Are you crazy? Obviously
3) How do your kids feel about this? They’re thrilled
4) Is your whole family crazy? Oui
That's incredible - congratulations!

We used to go to Cedar Point often. We lived about 50 miles west of Detroit. The first and last rollercoaster I rode was called the Blue Streak IIRC. It was a completely wooden one. This was between 69 and 74. One time we were there I brought a date. She wanted to ride it, so we did. I didn't die and we rode it several more times. Haven't been on a coaster since.
Blue Streak is still there and although it is small by today's standards, it packs a punch. I bet I have ridden it over 1000 times. I rode it almost every day during the summers I worked there. My son loves it too.

PSX_20240505_084948.jpg

Blue Streak is still there and although it is small by today's standards, it packs a punch. I bet I have ridden it over 1000 times. I rode it almost every day during the summers I worked there. My son loves it too.

View attachment 643825

In the 70s it was a bit "rickety" as a wooden coaster unlike the steel ones on tracks. That made it "seem" more thrilling. The Mine ride was also a great coaster in the 70s, more tight as it had steel tube tracks under it.

Boxed up about 40 VHS tapes and about 25 cassettes of all trumpet stuff to send to a guy, as I don't like seeing things sitting around not being used.

Well, the saga of the crickets continued again today. Last night one of the cats was standing on the stove. Not to worry it was off and it has a heat proof cover and that keeps foot prints off. The cat was staring at a spot where the side of the microwave meets the back of the microwave and a cabinet. I looked to see what he was looking and it was a cricket. The cat couldn't get it and when I tried it went behind the cabinet. I kept hearing it chirp after that. It was maddening. Even though I thought I had gotten all the crickets in the garage. Every time I went in the house and came back there were more. Today my wife looked up the life span of a cricket. It wasn't good news. Some crickets live between 4 and 6 weeks. Some 4 to 6 months and up to a year. Before I thought the heat would kill them. I was wrong. They flourish between 80 and a hundred degrees and can live with temperatures above that. The only thing that will kill them is cold. That means we will have to deal with them until late November when the night time temps get below freezing. And the cold might not kill the eggs. We have lived in Pahrump for 19 years. In the past I have seen a cricket here and there. I haven't or anybody else I have talked to has seen anything even slightly like this before. We tried to find out why all the crickets have suddenly exploded in numbers. Nothing.

I have a question for all you electronics wizards? Pictured is a pressure switch for a flashlight. The switch had a piece of Velcro stuck to it. When I tried to remove the Velcro the wires pulled off the board. I cut the rubber cover off the switch to soldier the wires back on. But when I looked at the board I didn't see an obvious place where the wires came from. At first I thought the two soldier dots in the front corners of the board b20240504_232434[4742].jpg20240504_232535[4745].jpg20240504_232804[4746].jpgut the wires are too close together for that. I looked at the base of the raised part of the switch but didn't see the place the wires might have come from. The wires in the first picture are about 1/4" past the wire sleeve. Help.

I have a question for all you electronics wizards? Pictured is a pressure switch for a flashlight. The switch had a piece of Velcro stuck to it. When I tried to remove the Velcro the wires pulled off the board. I cut the rubber cover off the switch to soldier the wires back on. But when I looked at the board I didn't see an obvious place where the wires came from. At first I thought the two soldier dots in the front corners of the board bView attachment 644019View attachment 644020View attachment 644021ut the wires are too close together for that. I looked at the base of the raised part of the switch but didn't see the place the wires might have come from. The wires in the first picture are about 1/4" past the wire sleeve. Help.

I've highlighted the solder pads. You can still see some remains of the wiring.

1715008332359.png

To fix:
  • Strip and tin the wires.
  • Clean the pads. Remove the wiring remains and the majority of the solder blob.
  • Solder the wire with fresh solder wire
  • Add some strain relief and insulation
I'm 99% sure that it doesn't matter which way you connect red and white, but at least in theory something funky might be going on inside the switch like a diode.

Reinhard

Last edited:
I have never been through the home selling process. 1 star, would not recommend.

Today is picture day, with listing on Thursday. We are into the "make it look (and smell) like no one lives here phase," particularly challenging with two teenage boys and two dogs.
Clean up, declutter, try to look at the house objectively and think about how a potential buyer would see it, make changes if you can. Hope for a good market in your favor.
I've sold 3 over my lifetime and had 3 different experiences, one of which was pretty bad.

Now packing is a whole different animal and I've done that 3 times in the past 11 years. I don't recommend that on anybody. Your case will be a special challenge.

Last edited:
I've highlighted the solder pads. You can still see some remains of the wiring.

View attachment 644038

To fix:
  • Strip and tin the wires.
  • Clean the pads. Remove the wiring remains and the majority of the solder blob.
  • Solder the wire with fresh solder wire
  • Add some strain relief and insulation
I'm 99% sure that it doesn't matter which way you connect red and white, but at least in theory something funky might be going on inside the switch like a diode.

Reinhard
Thanks. Your picture is better than mine.

I have never been through the home selling process. 1 star, would not recommend.

Today is picture day, with listing on Thursday. We are into the "make it look (and smell) like no one lives here phase," particularly challenging with two teenage boys and two dogs.
We have sold two houses and bought three. The same realtor helped use selling both houses. They gave us advice on how to stage the houses. Make it look like a model home. No personal pictures, clean out the closets so they look bigger. Put everything you won't need into storage. Clean the house until it sparkles. Make the inside of the house as bright as you can. Open the drapes and turn on all the lights. To make sure the house is clean hire a cleaning crew. Have the carpets cleaned. When a prospective buyer comes you should leave and let the realtor do their job. Before the buyer gets there rake the carpet on your way out. Stand just inside your front door so you can see what the buyer will see when they come. A good first impression is very important. Good luck.

Didn't fell that good all day. Finally forced myself to fix a couple of irrigation pop ups in the front yard. Started felling a little better. I got out the weed torch and boiled some roots. I also wanted to show you all what the torch looks like a twilight.20240506_195322[4752].jpg

Clean up, declutter, try to look at the house objectively and think about how a potential buyer would see it, make changes if you can. Hope for a good market in your favor.
I've sold 3 over my lifetime and had 3 different experiences, one of which was pretty bad.

Now packing is a whole different animal and I've done that 3 times in the past 11 years. I don't recommend that on anybody. Your case will be a special challenge.

Declutter is two fold important as we need to get down to 1400 cu ft of stuff, and almost anything with a plug is automatically out. We decided to ship one 40 ft container which includes a car, so only 1400 cu ft left for stuff. We have it looking like it needs to, but man it is weird. Packing is actually going to be handled by the moving company. As it was explained to us by our Visa advisor, if you pack it yourself there is a good likelihood that the French Customs folks will unpack and inspect it, and bill you for their time. If the shipping company packs it, this is far less likely as they have no incentive to risk their status for one container. For the few things we box up we are to let them tape the boxes shut.

Back