UTK Rocket Man

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mell0nator

Reaction score
Hi all! I am currently a student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and I have been into high-power rocketry for over a decade. I’m a non-traditional student who was a pipefitter for a few years before deciding to come back to school to pursue my passion, so I’m a bit older than most of my peers.

I was Jr. certified with the NAR in high school, but took a hiatus for some time while I was working. Now that I’m back in school, I have joined the rocketry club here and have gotten my Level 1 through Tripoli. I attempted Level 2 but unfortunately, after my electronics successfully deployed main parachute, my rocket got caught in a crosswind and is currently unrecoverable in a 60 foot tall tree. I flew a beautiful AT K695, but since my 54mm hardware is now in a tree, I will be flying a CTI J270 to go for Level 2 again at the start of December.

We are working on some cool hybrid and liquid rocket designs at UT (our current liquid is in the P impulse range) and am super excited for what is to come! I hope this forum will be a good place to share ideas and I can’t wait to get started!

One question I have for rocketry veterans is: What is some reading material (papers or books) you all would recommend for rocketry design? Looking more for propulsion ideas as I am somewhat experienced with airframes, but carbon fiber tube making info would also be helpful. I’ve listed some of the books I’m currently reading below, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

HOW to DESIGN, BUILD and TEST SMALL LIQUID-FUEL ROCKET ENGINE by Leroy J. Krzycki

Experimental Composite Propellant by Terry McCreary

How to Design Pressure Vessels, Propellant Tanks, and Rocket Motor Casings by Half Cat Rocketry

MODERN ENGINEERING FOR DESIGN OF LIQUID-PROPELLANT ROCKET ENGINES by Huzel and Huang

Parker O-Ring Handbook

Thanks again everyone, and I hope to see you all in the forums!

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes, definitely get a copy of Sutton, RPE.

Also, Rocket Propulsion by Stephen Heister etc al. And, Fundamental Concepts of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines, by Alessandro de Iaco Veris.

Hi all! I am currently a student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and I have been into high-power rocketry for over a decade. I’m a non-traditional student who was a pipefitter for a few years before deciding to come back to school to pursue my passion, so I’m a bit older than most of my peers.

I was Jr. certified with the NAR in high school, but took a hiatus for some time while I was working. Now that I’m back in school, I have joined the rocketry club here and have gotten my Level 1 through Tripoli. I attempted Level 2 but unfortunately, after my electronics successfully deployed main parachute, my rocket got caught in a crosswind and is currently unrecoverable in a 60 foot tall tree. I flew a beautiful AT K695, but since my 54mm hardware is now in a tree, I will be flying a CTI J270 to go for Level 2 again at the start of December.

We are working on some cool hybrid and liquid rocket designs at UT (our current liquid is in the P impulse range) and am super excited for what is to come! I hope this forum will be a good place to share ideas and I can’t wait to get started!

One question I have for rocketry veterans is: What is some reading material (papers or books) you all would recommend for rocketry design? Looking more for propulsion ideas as I am somewhat experienced with airframes, but carbon fiber tube making info would also be helpful. I’ve listed some of the books I’m currently reading below, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

HOW to DESIGN, BUILD and TEST SMALL LIQUID-FUEL ROCKET ENGINE by Leroy J. Krzycki

How to Design Pressure Vessels, Propellant Tanks, and Rocket Motor Casings by Half Cat Rocketry

MODERN ENGINEERING FOR DESIGN OF LIQUID-PROPELLANT ROCKET ENGINES by Huzel and Huang

Parker O-Ring Handbook

Well hello there, nice to see some other UT guys in the forum now.

Parker O-Ring Handbook

Hey there big guy!

Back