Spring Academy of Science and Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well our spring class has begun.

Unfortunately the advanced class was canceled. We only had 2 sign up. The problem was that most of the advanced kids are near graduation and they decided that they needed to spend their free time on academics rather than something fun like rocketry...

...darned kids... LOL

Can't argue with their work ethics, though. Good kids!

The two that wanted to do the advanced class signed up for the intermediate class. We also had some beginners (those who have never done any rocketry) so it's going to be an interesting class.

One of the great things is that the advanced kids are more than willing to share what they know with the younger kids. For example, when I told the kids to mark the fin locations and then extend the lines the full length of the body tubes, the two advanced kids got right into explaining the technique (with window sills) to the beginners :)

Made MY work a whole lot easier, believe me!

So, we're one week in. Next week there is no class so I won't see them until after Red Glare next weekend. Here are a couple of pix of the kids marking their tubes (we are building the D-Nelson Tomahawk kit)

The first shows one of the advanced kids showing the technique and explaining how/why we do this. The other is a group of kids finding suitable sills all over the classroom. They're great too, cuz after they mark their tubes, they get some cleaning solution to clean the sills they used!

jim

DSC02866.JPG

DSC02867.JPG

This past week we focused on cutting the fin tubes for the D-Nelson.

It's a 45 degree cut on each end of a short tube. Not a complex cut, but if you've never cut tubes before it can be quite challenging.

The kids did great and we have one boy who, when finished, you'd swear he had them laser cut. Incredible!

We finished the day by sealing the cut ends of the tubes with glue. This will allow us to sand and finish the ends when we meet back in 2 weeks (spring recess next week).

Here are some pix! The first shows the student sanding the body tube to scuff the outer surface of the tube (makes for better glue adhesion as well as easier to mark with a pencil). The next shows one concentrating on cutting a good line.

The next time we meet we will finish these tubes then cut fins. Time permitting, we will begin attaching them to the cut tubes.

photo.JPG

photo05.JPG

Took a while (been very busy) but finally got the photo album up.

No new pix here (yet), but each week I will get the pix uploaded and let folks know how we're doing :)

You can find the photo album by clicking this link.

Looks like fun!

Funny how a lot of people say that "kids these days" don't really get into "hands-on hobbies" because they're spoiled by video games, computer games and all that stuff, but I've seen plenty of kids get fired up once they really do get their hands into a "hands-on hobby."

:w:

Well, we finished (for the most part :) ) the D-Nelson Tomahawk kits last night! Some of the kids had to miss a class or two and will need to finish their models on their own. We fly next week (weather permitting) and have the following Tuesday as a rain date, so here's hoping!

Now I have to get ready for NSL... man... LOL

DSC03296.jpg

Whew! We're just about done!

Actually, we ARE done with the build and the launch... BUT, we have one more day scheduled and that becomes the dreaded "Lecture Day"... :)

We were packing up from NSL on Monday afternoon, planning a nice leisurely drive home. We figured an hour or two Monday and the balance (6 hours) on Tuesday. Then I checked my calendar and realized that I had the LAUNCH with my kids on Tuesday afternoon!

So, we hammered out 4 hours Monday and got a fairly early start to get us home by about 1:00 on Tuesday. Just enough time to get the truck unpacked and get loaded up for the launch.

I have finished posting the whole photo album, so you can check that out. Go to our main page and click on PHOTO ALBUMS (top black header area) then click on the ASD link (bottom of the 2012 links).

It was a great afternoon with a dead calm, but it was SO good to finally get back home so that I could shower and rest from the long trip.

Next week we learn some of the basics of stability, design and craftsmanship!

I admire your dedication to the next gen and I envy your energy. You surely must be the hardest working person in rocketry.

Thank you. It IS hard some times, but is also a passion. And the rewards are second to none.

Case in point.

I substitute teach, often as a para-professional (working with Special Ed and coded kids). One of our groups is "Success in School" (SIS) where we have coded kids who have difficulty in class either with studying, paying attention, or whatever. We teach them techniques to get the most out of class.

One of my old Boys & Girls Club kids (I taught many subjects, including rocketry, with the B&GC for about 7 years) was in a class of mine last week and, after the bell rang, he hung back until the class emptied. I couldn't understand what was up until he came up to me to show me his report card. It was all A's and A+'s, not a "B" to be found. He was proud and it was clear that he felt I was a major contributor to that. So much so that he wanted to make sure that I saw it. He went on to explain that he is going to school for Aerospace Eng.

This is a kid that, a few years ago, had to work hard just to get a C on a report card. I don't know exactly how much influence I actually had, but it was enough for him to seek me out. That one event made ALL the work for the past year well worth it! :)

jim

Back