Red Columbine - A Rocket Based On A Flower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
We did a hike up to Hope Pass near Twin Lakes Colorado and we saw a flower I had only seen a couple other time before. It's a Red Columbine. It's got kind of a Sputnik look to it .

I thought I'd take a shot at making a simple LPR model rocket that mimics it.

I created an Open Rocket model as a starting point.

It's a BT-80 based rocket, with rear eject chute and a D12-5

Red-Columbine-Flowers.jpgRed-Columbine-Plant.jpgRed Columbine OR 002.jpg

Last edited:
Cute! Are you going to put some sort of fuzzy thing on the nose?

That's the plan... and make the fins more 3 dimensional too. If I can make them durable enough I might have it kick out the motor, attached to a streamer, and let the rocket be a tumble recovery.

It's kind of got that mars lander look going :rabbitdontknow:

Last edited:
High altitude, eh? Well then after proving the design in LP you should do it over in HP, and show it some more of that altitude it likes.
It would be easier to just drive up to Cottonwood Pass and launch it on a D-12 from the parking lot at 12,000 feet ;).

Recovery might be a tad bit problematic though.

We did a hike up to Hope Pass near Twin Lakes Colorado and we saw a flower I had only seen a couple other time before. It's a Red Columbine. It's got kind of a Sputnik look to it .

I thought I'd take a shot at making a simple LPR model rocket that mimics it.

I created an Open Rocket model as a starting point.

It's a BT-80 based rocket, with rear eject chute and a D12-5

View attachment 424615View attachment 424616View attachment 424631
I think they are usually called Comet Columbine.

I know nothing about columbines, and only recently learned that the sadly famous school is named after a flower. All the same, whatever these are usually called, Comet Columbine should be the rocket's name.

Last edited:
Okay, that's just too cool.

I (along with my wife) have actually published two wildflower guidebooks. And yes, Aquilegia elegantula is in them.
The Colorado species is actually elegantula, one of the common names is "Shooting Star Columbine", and it is native to the 4 corners region. Canadensis is generally found in the east.

I'm sharing this with my wife/co-author...she is going to love it.
PLEASE post pics when you do the actual build.

s6

I (along with my wife) have actually published two wildflower guidebooks. And yes, Aquilegia elegantula is in them.
The Colorado species is actually elegantula, one of the common names is "Shooting Star Columbine", and it is native to the 4 corners region. Canadensis is generally found in the east.

s6

Way cool, thanks for posting this. Name Change Engage... Shooting Star Columbine it is!

Yes, I withdraw my earlier statements regarding the name, and endorse Shooting Star Columbine. As if you really have any reason to give the south end or a north-going rat about what I endorse.

It's all good. I can even put a decal on the rocket that states "This Shooting Star Columbine Is Endorsed By Joseph Q Avins"

Last edited:
That guy is this guy, and you're one of the couple of guys who know it.

I decided the Homer-Dilbert hybrid was getting old. It still describes me pretty well, but Dilbert hasn't worn that tie in so long I'm afraid people will stop recognizing it.

Anyway, back to the flower rocket.

s6
Not disputing you, but I have an old book calling it Comet Columbine. And that was the name everyone used in the Denver area in the early 80's. Shooting Stars were totally different. Now, I know the truth. Common regional names vs. Latin.

Here's the thing with ANY common names for plants:

There is no "official"/correct common name. Common names are simply the names that some people, in some areas, at some times have called some plants. In practice they end up often being wildly different from place to place, a given name is often used for different plants, and/or a given plant has different names, often conflicting with others. "Shooting Star"?, "Comet Columbine"?, "Red Rocket"?....basically all can be correct and incorrect at the same time. If a bunch of people call a given plant a certain name, then that is by design the "correct" common name, even if other people call it something else, or other people use that particular name for a different plant.

So, the Latin, or botanical/"scientific" name is actually the official (and correct) name for a given plant.
BUT!!!!............guess what? THAT name often changes from time to time as different botanists re-evaluate things over time, or new species or sub-species is discovered or classified, or competing botanists come to an agreement or even a disagreement. Add to that the fact that there is no actual official governing body that sanctions names. So in the end, even botanical names are essentially just what most expert botanists (mostly) agree what is "official", and are subject to change.

How's that for certainty?

For what it's worth, the plant that is being discussed in this thread is "officially" named Aquilegia elegantula. Call it whatever you want for the common name.

And also for what it's worth.....the plants themselves don't care at all what humans think their names are.

s6

Started drawing the Shooting Star Columbine today...

Anybody ever steamed and formed 1/16" basswood. I'm thinking of making a form to push the steamed wood into to make the fins hollow.

Red Columbine Presentation.JPG

Steam (or ammonia?) bending looks like the perfect way to make those. Balsa would probably be easier. If that doesn't look like it'll work out (though I hope it does) there are certainly other ways to make those.

You could do an extreme taper on some paper straws or BT5 and wrap them with a diamond shaped paper skin to complete the look. Maybe a balsa fin behind the tube for strength?

Here's the 1st draft of the drawing package. I need to do R&D on the fin steaming process to see if that's going to work.

As always your input is sincerely appreciated.

Red Columbine Dwg Sheets 1 of 7 Rev 00.jpgRed Columbine Dwg Sheets 2 of 7 Rev 00.jpgRed Columbine Dwg Sheets 3 of 7 Rev 00.jpgRed Columbine Dwg Sheets 4 of 7 Rev 00.jpgRed Columbine Dwg Sheets 5 of 7 Rev 00.jpgRed Columbine Dwg Sheets 6 of 7 Rev 00.jpgRed Columbine Dwg Sheets 7 of 7 Rev 00.jpg
2020-07-27 Open Rocket Simlulation Red Columbine.jpg

What do you plan to do about the low static margin? Nose weight? Confidence that the OR results are not accurate in this weird configuration and that the real answer is better? Further design refinement?

What do you plan to do about the low static margin? Nose weight? Confidence that the OR results are not accurate in this weird configuration and that the real answer is better? Further design refinement?

I'll do a swing test. I can always add more nose weight if needed. It's pretty draggy out back. I'm thinking it'll be good to go.

"We'll know more later" as the saying goes.

Back